20 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

I finally read up on all these posts! Hooray!

Felix walked through the morning mists towards the village square. It was a good day... Nobody was dead.

He heard the shouts before he saw them. Argument and chaos in the square. Two villagers denouncing each other in the center. Suddenly a third man approached and lay into the pair with his staff, then, standing over their collapsed forms, made a speech of his own. Chaos.

Felix sighed. Then he remembered that nobody was killed. He approached the center of Tyrian Falls, trying to steer clear of the man brandishing that heavy looking staff.

This is probably a bad idea... But it looks like I need to join this chaos and speak over them to make headway. Survivor protect me.

Hm... A good opening statement would be nice. Again, Felix found it necessary to draw on his literary knowledge... Oh, I know.

"Friends, Scadrians, and townsmen! Lend me your ears!"

It'll do.

"You are in chaos, accusing each other of great crimes. This is understandable... We know for certain that there are traitors in our midst.

But this is not a time for killing! It is a time for rejoicing! Our defenses have kicked off to an auspicious start indeed! The Lord Survivor has granted us safety for yet another day!

I encourage you to use this gift. Discuss, perhaps even accuse... but do not aim to take a life this soon. Try to learn from each other. And above all, trust in the salvation offered by the Survivor. Tyrian Falls will not fall!"

My impressions right now is that nobody is too clearly suspect. Yeah, people are accusing each other, but the ones who are willing to put themselves out on a limb making unfounded accusations probably aren't spiked. I do believe we should vote for a lynch, just to learn from how people vote this early on... Right now, however, the name of the game should be getting information.

It might be worthwhile to try and keep our votes balanced however. That would mean that possibly nobody gets lynched but we still learn who wanted to lynch who. It would also mean that we could tell if a soother or rioter was trying to kill someone very easily. Just an idea.

And on the seeker topic... I could of coarse be wrong about this, but I would bet that both the spiked and the townies receive a seeker. This is pretty much just because balance.

The elims already know everyone's alignments, if not their roles, it's unlikely that they'd have a seeker. It is possible though

I went in to the office early the next day. I knew I'd have a few hours peace and quite before my partner arrived, since he had some other work that needed finishing up. It would've been good to pick his brains about the case, but I didn't want to distract him. It was also a matter of pride, I suppose. Can't be asking him about everything, especially when he's not involved.

But despite wanting to be opening up shop before nine, I still got there the same time as always. A guy can learn a lot from slowing down and listening to what's being said around him. I'm a nosy person, so what? It's my job to be nosy. Sometimes it annoys people, sometimes it saves lives. Nothing illegal about poking my nose where it doesn't belong. Besides, if I'm annoying someone, I kinda feel I'm doing my job right for a change.

Of course, the talk to the town today was Whistler. Guy ran a nice little shop in a corner. If I had to describe him, I guess I'd say he was 'normal'. He kept his shop stocked and spent as much time tidying it as he did serving customers. I knew he had problems with money, but being bad at dice wasn't exactly a reason for someone to want to whack the guy. Well, not unless he was really bad at dice. I'd have never pegged him as a pillar of the community, but apparently someone thought he was a big enough part of this place to want to erase him.

Then there was the complication – There always is. The guy was saved by someone, by the way everyone was telling it. No indication of who his saviour was, or his attacker for that matter. I made a note to interview Whistler at some point, start putting the screws to him. Maybe he'd remember something. Hell, I'd even take the clothes his attacker was wearing. At least it'd give me something to go on.

As for Whistler himself? Well, I'd seen too many 'normal' guys go bad to trust him, even if he had been attacked. Seen enough people who'd hurt themselves just to make sure someone's hurting even worse. People can be vindictive like that. But, I had no evidence, no reason to suspect that was the case here. It was just a thought in the back of my head. I'd keep an eye on Whistler for a while, see if I needed to revisit that thought later. Sounded like everyone else was of a similar mind.

I opened the door, still listening out to the accusations that were flying around, even at me, though the barkeep was a bit nuts, and everyone knew it. Everyone had a theory. None of them were detectives though, they weren't showing any actual proof. Maybe after a while they'd learn to sit down and let me do my damned job. Didn't have any hope in that though. A few murders, and everyone considered themselves a master of unravelling this sort of thing. Well, even listening to that stuff can be informative, I guess. Never hurts to know which way the wind blows.

Though if the town was a weathervane, we'd have been blown all over the place and probably snapped off the stand. We were already at each others' throats, and while the chaos might bring something useful to light, it wasn't great for the village. Truth be told, my concern was not just with the people amongst us going round killing folk, but that by the end of this there wouldn't be a town left even if we did bring them to justice. Pessimistic, sure, but just showed how volatile the place was.

I stood before the board opposite my desk, and pinned a note onto it. 'Whistler', it read. Starting point for my investigation. Then I placed another on, for the murdered guard. I took a length of string, and looked between the two. Did they know each other? Terrible question, everyone knew everyone here, at least in passing. On friendly terms? Perhaps. Lots of people stopped by Whistler's shop, but buying stuff was hardly incriminating now. So maybe another link? I put a question mark on another piece of paper and pinned at to the board as well. Then I wound the thread between the three points. No proof of this, but for the time being, I would assume they were attacked by the same person.

What did we have to go on? Well, for the moment I discarded the idea of Whistler attacking themselves to get some sympathy. If that were true, I'd no doubt that we'd find out eventually. Who would hit Whistler? Was there a reason? Maybe it was just taking out a point of contact for the village. Everyone knew him, after all, and most of the suspects interacted with him at point or another. Best to assume it was personal for now, since anything else would never lead us anywhere. Most kills that looked impersonal had some kind of personal reasoning behind them anyway, in my experience.

So who chatted to Whistler most? Well, there was that altercation recently with Nyah and El, but I felt that would be a little too obvious. Sure, the attacker could be thicker than a pound of steel and have made an elementary mistake, but I didn't rate it highly. We wouldn't be in as much danger as it seemed if they were that dumb. So who else? Tekiel, maybe. He tended to spend a surprising amount of time talking to Whistler for someone of noble blood. Could he have been scoping out his first target? I wrote 'Locke Tekiel?' on another piece of paper and placed it on top of the question-marked note. Looks like I had a noble to talk to, and since it didn't seem like he'd been seen in town yet, that meant I had a house-call to make. I wasn't especially hopeful, considering how tight-lipped the nobility were, but not like I'd let that ever stop me.

In the old world, a noble could kill a skaa at any time they liked. Probably wouldn't even bother to do it themselves. It was legal, but it wasn't right. The world had moved on since then, though. We may have lived out in the rough parts of the world, away from any major cities, but Luthadel's new ideas had reached us. He may have been healthier, richer and more educated than us skaa, but it didn't mean he was better anymore. Least, not in that way. Either way, point was that it matter whether he was noble or not to me. Justice was for everyone now, not just the nobility, and if his lordship was a murderer, I was going to march him down to the gallows like I would anyone else.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Seeing the general consensus on Rae, if a few more votes against Rae, then we'll have a lynched Rae. How interesting, the depth that everyone is reading into everyone's posts. Of course, "everyone" is an exaggeration. Now I have a choice: I can go with the flow and vote against Rae, or I be useless and go my own way. I still have some time to decide.

I'm going to go back and read through everyone's posts again.

Edited by Hemalurgic_Headshot

Sorry for not being able to respond sooner -- I had computer access but couldn't sneak in a post with the teachers and tablemates watching.

I meant protect actives over inactives. Actives get targeted earlier. Inactives are kind of useless. Sorry for making the wording unclear -- I was already 30 minutes over my normal computer time limit.

Also, I'm interested in knowing what roles there are this game. I realize that most games I don't express much interest in role strategy, but I decided to give it a shot.

I likely won't have computer access until around 7-8 PM PST, so please mention me if you have any specific questions.

Wow, tons of discussion, awesome to see.  I'm gonna try to RP most of this response.

Remart continued to munch of the food on his platter as he lazed around in the morning, having slept with his head resting on a particularly soft loaf of bread (though it wasn't as good now, so he'd tossed it outside for the animals).  Whistler had headed off to check on his shop, and a few others had done similar things, but Remart had no such responsibilities.  He had a fair bit of coin saved up from a few good…investments a few years back, so he'd simply been traveling around since then, sampling local cuisines and ales (mostly ales), and just enjoying the sights.  Sure, his missing leg slowed him a bit, but he was able to make many trips by carriage or barge, so it wasn't a bad way to travel.

When the report came back that Whistler's shop had been burned to the ground, by a group of "spiked" as they were being called, he came a bit more awake and began to study the reactions of the crowd.  Some began to mutter about Whistler himself burning down his shop to throw the town into chaos, but Remart doubted that story.  Sure, he'd heard of people doing crazy things like that, but that didn't strike him as likely right now.  Nicki had begun offering some quiet suggestions at the Allomancers among them (who were wisely keeping their heads down and not identifying themselves yet), and immediately became a target for the town's outrage herself.  Sheesh, she's just trying to help! Who cares about a slip of the tongue and a few words that came out wrong.  She hadn't been saying anything she didn't truly think was helpful.

Now El…El was beginning to try to claim innocence for herself and others by claiming they wouldn't have attacked Whistler. It was a long list, in fact, nearly a third of the town.  It was based on some nonsense about Whistler not wanting to die (wasn't that true of everyone?) and those people having known her longer.  Remart doubted it, plus he knew that he would have been tempted to do exactly that if he'd been aiming to sow chaos in the town. Perhaps the spiked had even saved Whistler themselves, just so there was a witness and fear could grow.  In fact, El sounded more and more suspicious the more he listened to her.  He didn't truly trust anyone, sure, but he also wasn't about to let someone divide the town unnecessarily.

Just to add, I would consider myself one of those relatively new players who wouldn't realize that Wilson died so often and would instead simply know she could be a threat as a good player, and might have considered targeting her.  If there were any of those players that did understand on the Elim team, however, I can see them swaying the group to go for someone else.  I could also very easily see them attacking and also saving Wilson just to make themselves less suspicious, however, even if Wilson was completely unaware of that plan.  I wouldn't rule anyone out as an Elim based on that, but if it wasn't the Elims themselves saving her to cover themselves, then that person was probably one of those older players.

Edited by Jondesu

1. Voting Tally!
  2. Rae: Nyali (couple of concerns with her long post about what roles should be)*
  3. Nyali: Lopen, Arinian (because Nyali voted for Rae on what they think is unjustifiable grounds).
  4. Stick: Wilson (b/c stick questioned whether wilson was good).
  5. Wyrmhero: Gamma Fiend (Poke vote?)
  6. Conquester: Madagaster (inactivity/crusade?) Dalinar
  7. Len: Elbereth (a hasty putting aside of the implications of wilson being attacked and surviving).
  8. Lopen: Aralis (not really sure why?)
  9. Elbereth: Jondesu

*Also Magestar put his vote on Rae and then took it off on further analysis.

Well, a couple of points. First, I don't really see Rae being very suspicious. It seemed like they were generally trying to be helpful. Even if she was evil it seems like an ineffective way to handicap the village (only a small amount of that information would diffuse into the strategic calculus of most likely more inexperienced players, ie. myself), not to mention the threat of exposing herself on day one.

Equally though, I don't see the point in lynching Nyali. A, it could be an honest mistake, B, by that same logic wouldn't Magestar be equally suspicious for attempting to start a bandwagon and then only leaving when he was "convinced" it wouldn't work? (not saying I'm suspicious of you Magestar, I'm not, I'm just questioning the vote for Nyali).

So, a titch of suspicious for Lopen/Arinian (voting for Nyali), and a titch for Nyali as well (voting for Rae aggressively). 

Next, on the whole Wilson thing. I'm not really sure to make of it. I think Elbereths analysis was spot on, but that's about all I've got. I suppose I agree with the suspicious of Elenion.

But, at the end of the day, I'd still like to hear from Conquester. Mainly just a poke until I see more analysis.

Reginald groaned in his cellar, as the bustle of accusations spilled out on the streets. Some people had no respect for some good peace and quiet. Then there was that crazy cat lady. Couldn't really remember her name but really wasn't fair at all, hoarding all those cats for herself now was it? Now where had he put that catnip...steal..*ahem* acquiring animals was always a tad more difficult then items. It was time to get to work.

Edited by Dalinar Kholin
Got ninja'd by Jondesu's post and myself :p

2 hours ago, Seonid said:

I'm not Meta, but as a member of the Spiked team in the first anniversary game (the one where we killed Araris for not having PMs with us) that faced this exact issue, I can tell you that in that case, Meta accepted the most recently put in kill order.

So, the last order that was put in?  That's interesting.  Not sure I've seen it done that way before.

3 minutes ago, Dalinar Kholin said:

But, at the end of the day, I'd still like to hear from Conquester. Mainly just a poke until I see more analysis.

Since no one has done this, @Conquestor.  Anything to say?

Alright, turns out I got mobile access. Let's see how much stuff I can cram into here before my lunch ends.

Nyali, Bugsy, and Magestar, I'm flabbergasted that you thought that I was telling the lurchers to protect inactives because actives are unimportant. Yeah, of course this is part of my master plan to make actives (and I consider myself in this category) die early on. Of course I want to make this game turn into LG28, where around a half of the players were inactive. I just love hearing players and spectators tear their hair out over the lack of activity.

Geez. What sort of person do you think I am? An elim who somehow doesn't think saying inactives are more important than actives would raise the alarm, someone who wants to have all the fun sucked out of the game along with the actives?

Nyali, I suggested that Soothers cancel lone poke votes because the village also benefits from having an idea what our lynch margins must be if we want to be certain. Besides, a soother changing poke votez is one not changing the lynch results. In early cycles, I want the lynch to be certain. If someone changes who is lynched, we don't know if an elim did it to mindgame us, to save a teammate, or if a villager did it.

Will post more later. Lunch is over.

3 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

Nyali, Bugsy, and Magestar, I'm flabbergasted that you thought that I was telling the lurchers to protect inactives because actives are unimportant. Yeah, of course this is part of my master plan to make actives (and I consider myself in this category) die early on. Of course I want to make this game turn into LG28, where around a half of the players were inactive. I just love hearing players and spectators tear their hair out over the lack of activity.

Geez. What sort of person do you think I am? An elim who somehow doesn't think saying inactives are more important than actives would raise the alarm, someone who wants to have all the fun sucked out of the game along with the actives?

Sorry. :P I was really confused by your statement, and wanted answers.  I suppose it really doesn't make sense, looking back, but it's what my brain did.

3 hours ago, Magestar said:

@Metacognition, what happens if multiple Elims send in different kill orders?

Seonid has the right of it, but just to make it official, I would take that most recent kill order put in. I understand that not everyone's schedules can always sync up so if plans change and orders need to be changed, I try to accommodate our players. 

I'd be willing to bet my brand new cane that at least one of the people who is trying to get us to overly focus on Wilson's death is an eliminator. Think about it. Assuming that Wilson was just randomly protected, the eliminators would want us to try to read too much into this and jump to false conclusions. Or, assuming that Wilson's protection was an elaborate WGG-like ploy, the eliminators would want to ensure that their scheme worked by talking about it and spreading false conclusions. Either way, it's likely that the eliminators want us debating about Wilson's death, which makes me quite suspicious of El.

@Hemalurgic_Headshot I'm curious why.

Edited by Ecthelion III

I don't have everything worked out yet, but I'm 95% sure that Rae just made a typo like she said. Nyali's only suspicious because she called Rae on it, so I don't find her suspicious. I'll do what I said earlier and vote on Conq for the crusade. This isn't the first game he's fallen off the face of the earth.

Well, @Ecthelion III, it is truly an interesting concept, one that you might know about. It could be one, but it could also be another. In this format, we can't see each other's faces and read their expressions, so often one must make an assumption based on what they know and stick to it. Or else that individual will get tangled in the many twisting cords of deceit and trickery. 

7 minutes ago, Elenion said:

Nyali's only suspicious because she called Rae on it, so I don't find her suspicious.

That's not even close to what I said. I said I'm voting for her because she seems to want to know how many of each role there are in the town, and that seemed suspicious to me. The typo was just a typo - my opinion on Lurchers still stands, it just happens to be the same as what Rae thought now.

Logic time!

Rae: Her post on roles is a bit suspicious but it could be an honest attempt to focus the village. An Elim would most likely have attempted to cause trouble with an already existing problem.

Wilson: I suspect that she could be an Eliminator. They could use it to create conflict in the village, and perform a WGG.

People are waiting for Mr. Hoid to show up, but they aren't actually going to fetch him. They'll be as old as I am by the time they get anything done around here. Why is it that I'm the only person that has any sense in this town? First that Koloss nonsense, and now this... Aralis gave a solid thump to Mr. Hoid's door. Apparently, it was rather too hard of a thumping, because the hinges broke and the door fell inwards. After a quick glance around to see if anybody saw his act of destruction, Aralis peered inside the door. Of course, nobody was home. Well, when the man came back, he would probably get involved in discussion, for the very least to find who had vandalized his home.

@Conquestor, you are wanted here! Figured I'd give you a ping just in case you are actually watching.

Edit: Missed that Magestar already did this, but nobody in world has done it, so whatever. Also, to clarify my vote on Lopen, several people (including myself) found problems with what Rae posted, but he didn't point any of that stuff out, he just said he mostly agreed. Maybe it's not suspicious, but I did find it a little off.

Edited by Araris Valerian

1 hour ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Well, @Ecthelion III, it is truly an interesting concept, one that you might know about. It could be one, but it could also be another. In this format, we can't see each other's faces and read their expressions, so often one must make an assumption based on what they know and stick to it. Or else that individual will get tangled in the many twisting cords of deceit and trickery. 

"You're almost as good at dodging questions as a certain political leader I know of," the old man quipped. "Specifically, what assumptions are you making about my assumptions?"

Edited by Ecthelion III

10 minutes ago, Ecthelion III said:

You're almost as good at dodging questions as a certain political leader I know of.

Specifically, what assumptions are you making about my assumptions?

Specifically, you seemed suspicious with that first post, when you requested presence with Felix, Herwynbe, Carmichael. And no one else has accused you, so why not?

The old man shook his head and walked away. When had it suddenly become suspicious to meet with a couple friends in a side room?

At length, he decided that the manor was getting too empty for interesting discussion, so he retired to his room, pulled up a chair, and watched out his window for a time. The square, though busy and bustling, seemed oddly peaceful, a direct contradiction with the abrupt chaos of the night before. The man smiled his half-smile and began to whittle away at a little gold disk.

"Hasing the active of not of Conquestor. Missing the Conquestor of Sunday. Running to wards of back of mob. Fighting the El on the Nyal. Wasing the was of the not. Being the stabbing of Whistler is notting. Hasing the being of whistling of skill of hasing the front of blades. Easing the manacles of the not."

Joe learned that you could tell how the crowd was feeling by watching the waiters' faces. If the crowd was pleased, then the waiter was as impassive as a stone. If the crowd was getting restless, then the waiter frowned. If the crowd was angry... that waiter will take ages getting the ash taco out of that suit.

Joe looked at the heaps of ash tacos on the counters. That would probably be enough for the rest of the day, if things went well. He sat down and thought. From what he had heard, someone had died, everyone was crazy about it, and no one took him up on the ash taco eating contest. He sighed. Why would no one want to participate in a nice face-cramming competition? Another waiter walked in the door. Bits of food were in his hair.

"Cook. The town is no longer concentrated in its entirety in the manor, thank the Lord Ruler. What else do you have to give them?"

Joe glanced back at the mounds of ash tacos. He grabbed a few and put them on the platter. The waiter gave him a slightly disgusted look.

"If you keep feeding them more, then you'll poison the town dead before the Spiked do," the waiter said in a level voice.

Spiked?

"Nah, it'll just build up an immunity. That's when they taste really good." Joe said.

The waiter did the closest thing to rolling his eyes without actually rolling them. Joe sat back down as the waiter left, and scrapped his back on the wall. Rusts! I hate it when that happens. Why can't there just be smooth walls?

I'm not sure that lynching an inactive right now is such a good idea. We've still got a bunch of time left in the Day which we need to use for discussion. Lynching an inactive at this point doesn't do any good, IMO. Also, like Sart pointed out, it appears Conquestor hasn't even been online since the game started. So it's not like he's lurking. 

1 hour ago, Araris Valerian said:

People are waiting for Mr. Hoid to show up, but they aren't actually going to fetch him. They'll be as old as I am by the time they get anything done around here. Why is it that I'm the only person that has any sense in this town? First that Koloss nonsense, and now this... Aralis gave a solid thump to Mr. Hoid's door. Apparently, it was rather too hard of a thumping, because the hinges broke and the door fell inwards. After a quick glance around to see if anybody saw his act of destruction, Aralis peered inside the door. Of course, nobody was home. Well, when the man came back, he would probably get involved in discussion, for the very least to find who had vandalized his home.

@Conquestor, you are wanted here! Figured I'd give you a ping just in case you are actually watching.

Edit: Missed that Magestar already did this, but nobody in world has done it, so whatever. Also, to clarify my vote on Lopen, several people (including myself) found problems with what Rae posted, but he didn't point any of that stuff out, he just said he mostly agreed. Maybe it's not suspicious, but I did find it a little off.

Oh right. Yeah, you could just mark that one down as me being lazy. I don't particularly have an opinion on Rae's advice for Soothers/Rioters, plus I believe Aman tried to get them to do the same thing last AG and I don't think people listened much. So I didn't see it as any kind of problem. Still don't really. As for the rest of her advice, I do agree with it. Lurchers, Coinshots, Thugs, Smokers, and Seekers. I thought all of that was solid and I certainly didn't think she was trying to cause the village any harm by it.

As for Nyali, I'll remove my vote I suppose. My paranoid mind could see this large bandwagon on Conquestor in the middle of the Day as trying to save her, but she only had 2 votes and I've got a feeling most(but maybe not all) of the votes on Conq are villagers. I don't have a lot of time right now, but I'll be on later today to try and figure out where to put my vote, since I would like some more legitimate lynch discussion(I am glad about the amount of discussion so far, but I think we can get some more in before we need to decide whether to lynch an inactive/lurker(just please don't let it be about me, that would be the worst :P)).