Preservation's Power

DarkJester

Ok. Mistborn were originally created when people injested Lerasium, a physical form of Preservation. In doing so, they gained some of Preservation's power. Does anyone else find it odd that Preservation's powers are powered by destruction? In order to use allomancy, you must burn a metal, thus destroying it. I just found this a bit odd...

Think of it not as destroying the metal, but rather releasing the investiture which was previously trapped in a physical state and allowing it to spiritually return to Preservation, in the process increasing the user's power so that they can more easily preserve their power in the future. In any case, the mechanic of burning the metal is likely due to Scadrial's influence, not Preservation's, so not that weird.

5 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Think of it not as destroying the metal, but rather releasing the investiture which was previously trapped in a physical state

Metal is not Invested in and of itself; it's a conduit to power and burning it opens that conduit through which Preservation's power flows into Allomancer.

Anyway, with that logic Hemalurgy should destroy metals it uses. But the thing is, the inflow of the power Preserves the piece of Preservation in Allomancer's soul; it can also be seen from the angle that maintaing equilibrium (=preserving) requires constant input of energy to counteract entropy. That's why Preservation's magic is end-positive.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

Metal is not Invested in and of itself; it's a conduit to power and burning it opens that conduit through which Preservation's power flows into Allomancer.

In fact, the allomantic metals are as you say. The Godmetals, however, are indeed Investiture made physical. For Ruin, it was Atium only, but Preservation had the mist and the beads of Lerasium

And Hemalurgy is of Ruin, not Preservation, so the comparison might be moot in this regard as they have different Intent and Focus.

15 minutes ago, Demiandre said:

And Hemalurgy is of Ruin, not Preservation, so the comparison might be moot in this regard as they have different Intent and Focus.

Focus is the same: metal.

I only said that with the logic that "Preservation's magic destroying metals is weird" also Hemalurgy is weird as it is of Ruin but the metal is not destroyed.

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I'm referring to the Investiture which is manifested in the physical realm such that it becomes the physical metal. Also, with lerasium, the Investiture which forms the metal is the source of the power, not the conduit.

Focus is the same: metal.

Oops indeed, I thought it was blood... my bad.

I only said that with the logic that "Preservation's magic destroying metals is weird" also Hemalurgy is weird as it is of Ruin but the metal is not destroyed.

I just meant that Hemalurgy already comes from destruction, ripping something from someone. And the think taken and stored decays if not in contact with blood. If the metal was also destroyed, that would be lots of inconveniences ^^

1 minute ago, Demiandre said:

Oops indeed, I thought it was blood... my bad.

Just as mnemonic/logic rule: Magic Systems arise from the interaction between Shard(s) and Shardworld they Invested into. Therefore the Magic Systems of a specific Shardworld share the focus ;-)

16 hours ago, Yata said:

The Metal in allomancy works as limiter to avoid to avoid too much power. Without this, the user may tap unlimited power...destroing himself (I have to find where it was written, I remember only this quotes)

Is it this?

Interview: Oct, 2008

Kaimipono (16 October 2008)

Allomancy is fueled by Preservation's body? How exactly does that work? And how does that interact with Atium—it's fueled by both gods' bodies?

Brandon Sanderson (17 October 2008)

The powers of Ruin and Preservation are Shards of Adonalsium, pieces of the power of creation itself. Allomancy, Hemalurgy, Feruchemy are manifestations of this power in mortal form, the ability to touch the powers of creation and use them. These metallic powers are how people's physical forms interpret the use of the Shard, though it's not the only possible way they could be interpreted or used. It's what the genetics and Realmatic interactions of Scadrial allow for, and has to do with the Spiritual, the Cognitive, and the Physical Realms.

Condensed 'essence' of these godly powers can act as super-fuel for Allomancy, Feruchemy, or really any of the powers. The form of that super fuel is important. In liquid form it's most potent, in gas form it's able to fuel Allomancy as if working as a metal. In physical form it is rigid and does one specific thing. In the case of atium, it allows sight into the future. In the case of concentrated Preservation, it gives one a permanent connection to the mists and the powers of creation. (I.e., it makes them an Allomancer.)

So when a person is burning metals, they aren't using Preservation's body as a fuel so to speak—though they are tapping into the powers of creation just slightly. When Vin burns the mists, however, she'd doing just that—using the essence of Preservation, the Shard of Adonalsium itself—to fuel Allomancy. Doing this, however, rips 'troughs' through her body. It's like forcing far too much pressure through a very small, fragile hose. That much power eventually vaporizes the corporeal host, which is acting as the block and forcing the power into a single type of conduit (Allomancy) and frees it to be more expansive.

• Chaos locked this topic