Important Rules Change

The Diagrammists will not have access to a doc. They will have to use PMs to communicate with each other. They will know who all of their teammates are at the start of the game.

This was always going to be the case; I just forgot to change those rules from the first run.

EDIT: And if you would like a link to the spec doc, post in here before the game starts or send either Stink or me a PM and we'll get you the link. Pinch hitters will not be included in the doc until after the second cycle, so if you want to pinch hit, we can get you on that list as well.

On 12/28/2016 at 10:11 AM, Ookthelion III said:

I got lynched D1  for literally no sensible reason

The reason was that we wanted you dead and the villager-bandwagoning was strong that game. I agree that it was for no good reason, however.

Right now I'm embroiled in the Shards game, but I'd like to sign up on the PH list.

I'd like the spec doc to this, thanks. I hate to miss this, but I'm going away for 8 days starting with the 13th (so Cycles 6 to 10), so I can't make this work.

However, Wilson appears to be very short in player numbers. I've waited a couple days to see if this changes, but it doesn't look like it has. So I'll suggest an alternative. I can't stay past Cycle 6 (well, I might be able to - I don't know what Internet will be like up where I'm going.) But the beginning of the game I'm pretty sure I can manage. And, by the time I go away, a lot of the people not signing up will be dead/under less stress and confusion in LG29. So, pending GM approval, I'd like to suggest I sign up partnered with another player who'll take over from me in Cycle 6. It brings the game an extra player, and this game looks like it really needs it, unfortunately :/

16 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

Will there be secret roles?

No. What's in the rules is everything that could be in the game. There are no secrets outside of role distribution and what roles will and won't be included in the game.

@The Young Bard That could work, though I don't really want to switch someone out that late in the game. However, with the player numbers being what they are and the inactivity filter being what it is, the game might not last past Cycle 6 anyway, so you might be dead/the game might be over by the time you go inactive, so I'm not really worried. Right now, I really just want to hit at least 16 players, because I have an idea of distribution for at least 16 that would work. If we get less, I can make it work, but I'd prefer not to cut another role, which is what I would have to do with anything less than 16.

The inactivity in the last few games has been absurdly high. It's generally higher than it should be anyway (Luckat, a player who's been around since LG2, quit SE completely in large part due to inactivity), but it's been significantly worse in recent games. I'd rather people not sign up and the game runs with less people but everyone is active, than I get 25+ players, but 10 of them aren't even paying attention. The first run of this game had 36 players, and over 10 of them were inactive. I'm not doing that again. That said, if you only do one on the first cycle but all three on the second, you'll be fine. Most games with filters have at least a bit of a warning system, and the first cycle will be that warning system. If you can do all three and you don't, you'll be warned. If you still don't do all three in the second cycle, you'll be replaced. And I think that's fair.

Bzeth frowns, looking down at the torn pieces of a map in his hands that he has come across while scouting ahead. There isn't time to put the pieces together right now to see what the map shows - a highstorm is approaching and he and his companions need shelter - so he tugs them safely into his bag to study later. 
He stands up and hears a rustling sound behind him. Turning around, he sees a blur. Someone quickly ducking down behind a bush. Tentatively, he walks towards it. Just as he gets near, metal flashes, and a person pounces from behind it, a knife in hand aimed straight at Bezth’s chest. Instincts kick in, and Bezth side-steps the man, spins around while grabbing his twin daggers from his belt, and slices deeply at the back of the man’s knees before he even lands. The man hits the ground and collapses, unable to get back on his feet. 
Bezth then pushes his dagger through the man’s shoulder, getting a gasp and a raspy curse from him before he falls into unconsciousness. Two bags full of jewels and gemstones and spheres are tied at his waist. 
What a cremling, Bezth sighs and shakes his head while dragging the robber’s body to leave it behind the bush, then makes his way back toward his companions. 
Or rather….. An idea occurs to him. He goes back, ties the robber’s hands and legs, gags him, swings him onto his shoulder, turns around and heads back, leaving a trail of blood behind.

Edited by Berenion

Gah. I've been changing my mind over whether or not to stay signed up to this now you have your 16 fairly constantly. Seeing as it's just 16 players (17 if I sign up), and you have 1 Diagrammist kill, 1 lynch, and 1 Cook kill each Cycle (and if you had one Cook kill, you'd probably need two to balance the SoH and the Ghostbloods against each other...), the chances of me staying alive through to Cycle 6 are extraordinarily slim. Even if only 2/3 of those kills are activated each cycle, and no-one is killed by the inactivity filter, I'd have less than a 1/3 chance of staying alive. So... I'll risk it. I'll stay signed up to this. I'll sign up as a cook... a scholar... a savvy homeless pickpocket called Velez.

Edited by The Young Bard

Cycle 1: The Hunt Begins

21 people had all found themselves in the same stall at the market. And if you were wondering, the stall sold everything. If you can think of it, it sells it. Weapons, fish, bread, books, stories about 20 people all murdering each other as they try to win an online game. All kinds of things. But I digress, let’s not focus on the stall, or the market, or the bustling city of Urithiru slowly expanding as life carries on for every single indescribable human moving there.

Let’s instead talk about the murderers so called politicians. After all, some of them do have to work with others to get rid of the undesirables. Who are the undesirables? The mathematicians Diagrammists of course. It was up to the Sons of Honour to take them down! But actually, it was up to the Ghostbloods to take them down! But actually actually, it was up to the Sons of Honour to take them down! And so on and on and on and on and on and on and off.

Anyway I’ve digressed again, so let’s start again.

21 people had all found themselves in the same stall the the market. None of them knew who was who, or if they really were even a person. The level of paranoia was indeed that high. Each was silent, almost as if they were waiting for an order from someone else. The owner of the stall was busy ordering his stock. The 20 people still had not moved, still looking like they wanted an order. The owner of the stall failed to see the hint he had just been given.

Someone walked by the stall, commenting “Now would one of you go get the owner of that stall and tell him to do something?”, which was very convenient for the story and totally accidental. And it was Stick who got the owner, and it was Stick that got pinched and fainted from the pain, but at least the owner got the memo.

“Alright everybody, you can either stay in my stall or you can finally get to the fun bit of this whole thing!”

And so all the remaining 20 players started shouting over each other.

----

And so MR19 begins! All PMs are sent. This cycle will end at 12:30 PM MST on Wednesday. I'll edit in a countdown in a few minutes. The player list is up-to-date, with 20 players and 1 pinch-hitter.

If you have any questions, ask in the thread or in your GM PM. Remember that this is a limited PMs game, so do not send PMs this cycle unless you are Restares/Thaidakar, a Commander or a Captain. Each of these positions can send one PM each cycle to someone reporting to them in the chain of command. Thank you and good luck!

bla_1483558200.png

Edited by Alvron

Clarifications 

Q: Will the people above me in the chain of command know my role and similarly will I know the role of the people below me?
A: You are the only one who knows you role. The only way anyone else will discover it is if you tell anyone else who contacts you.

Q: If my Captain/Commander/Leader contacts me in a PM this cycle, I am allowed to reply to him and all?
A: Yes. Any chain of command PM begun this cycle can be talked in as much as you want.

Q:  Should the GMs be included in PMs?
A: Yes, definitely. Include both Stink and I in any PM created.

Q: Communication is limited by PMs this game. We can create one each cycle, but how long do the PMs last: do they end at the end of the day, or do they last for the remainder of the game?
A: All PMs created last for as long as both players are still alive.

Q:  For all a Private/Captain/Commander knows, the person above them in the Chain of Command can be a Diagrammist, correct?
A: Yes. Anyone could be a Diagrammist.

Q: Are the members of the Sons of Honour and the Ghostbloods equal in number?
A: Yes.

Q: How many Commanders are there in each group?
A: PAFO

Q: Since there is no Diagrammist doc, what happens if there are multiple kill orders placed?
A: We'll flip a coin to see which kill takes precedence.

Q: Can people with the ability to PM create group PMs?
A: No. PMs are only between two players.

Q:  Is one vote enough to lynch someone?

A: No. Two votes or more are necessary for a successful lynch.

Q: What happens if there's a tie in the lynch votes?

A: A coinflip will decide.

Q: Can I kill Stink?

A: I would rather if my co-GM (or myself, for that matter) was not killed by either a knife in the back or spicing up our food, thanks.

Q: If an Assassin tracks the Diagrammist making the kill, are they alerted to the fact that the person they're tracking is a Diagrammist?

A: No. The Assassin would only see a random person who targeted the Diagrammist. If the Assassin was tracking the person killed instead, they would have a chance of seeing the Diagrammist.

Q: Can commanders see everyone in positions below them or is that just the leaders?

A: The Commander sees everyone below them in their part of the command structure. If there is second Commander, the first Commander does not have authority over anyone below the second Commander and therefore would not see them in their command structure (and also cannot PM them with the Chain of Command PM).

Q: With Illumination, does it redirect an action my target takes or an action aimed at my target?

A: The latter. Illumination redirects a random action that is aimed at your target onto a different target of your choice.

Q: Do I have to vote and use an ability to avoid the inactivity filter?

A: You don't have to vote, but you do have to post. And if you have an action, yes, you must use it as well.

Q: Can I close/delete a PM so that the Edgedancer can't see it?

A: No. All PMs, once opened, are open until one of the players dies. Closing/deleting a PM will not keep it from being seen by the Edgedancer. If I have to go through my email notifications to see what was said in a deleted PM, I will, and I assure you, I will not be happy about it. So please do not delete PMs.

Q: When a PM is created between two players, are they informed if the Bondsmith or Runner created it? Does a Bondsmith-created PM look different than a Runner-created PM?

A: No. You will not know which role type created a PM. All created PMs via actions look the same.

Q: Do Diagrammists have a chain of command of their own? If so, can they message through it? Or must they rely on the Son of Honor / Ghostblood CoCs?

A: No. They must rely on the SH/GB CoC PMs and PMs set up by the Bondsmith/Runners.

Q: Do the Diagrammists know who is on the team?

A: Yes. They may or may not be able to contact each other, by they certainly know who their teammates are.