Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

45 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

For the record, violins don't have a C string. They have G, D, A, and E strings. Violas and cellos have C strings. 

Derp.  Can you tell what instrument family I'm least familiar with?  Corrected!

41 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

And bassoons have a storm-ton of keys! Thirteen different keys just for your thumbs!

Of course, some finger combinations are used twice to cover two octaves, but when you get to the extremes, fingerings get fun!

Heh.  Oboes are almost as bad; we have two different octave keys, meant to be played with totally different notes.  And I have three different ways of fingering an F.  But I think we didn't get loaded down as badly as bassoons just by virtue of having smaller instruments.

Have you ever heard the P.D.Q. Bach bassoon quartet?  There's a spot in the piece where the 4th bassoon has to play a note that's a half step lower than a bassoon can play.  So one of the other players has to stand up and stick a cardboard tube into the 4th bassoon's bell.

2 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Minor keys use a different pattern, but they're a bit weird, as there are three versions of each type of minor key - natural, harmonic, and melodic.  Honestly, there are textbooks out there that explain the differences between these better than I can off the top of my head.

Yeah, those are pretty crazy...
Natural minor is your 'normal' minor, where the scale goes M2, m2, M2, M2, m2, M2, M2, or lah-ti-do-re-mi-fa-so-la. Harmonic is exactly the same except the seventh note (so in solfa) is raised by a semitone (si in solfa). In a minor, that would mean G would become G sharp. Now, melodic minor is far weirder. In this scale, both the sixth and seventh note are raised by a semitone, but only when going up the scale. Going back down the scale, they become go back down to the original note. So, solfa: la-ti-do-re-mi-fi-si-la-so-fa-mi-re-do-ti-la.
Whew.

... 'kay, haven't had a chance to set up a PM yet. But suffice to say, I will have questions. 

I don't suppose anyone has any Beginners Guides they could recommend? 

On a separate note, Nightwing, one of my favorite DC characters, is now scheduled to get a film. Considering the quality of the DCEU, I'm not sure how to react to that news.

Edited by Quiver

31 minutes ago, Quiver said:

On a separate note, Nightwing, one of my favorite DC characters, is now scheduled to get a film. Considering the quality of the DCEU, I'm not sure how to react to that news.

I suppose the correct term is "ambivalence", right?

1 minute ago, Oversleep said:

I suppose the correct term is "ambivalence", right?

Maybe? I mean...

Dick is awesome. His personality is "cheerful, well-adjusted Batman". He's actually more popular among the superhero community than Superman.

I'm just...concerned how that might be translated over. :P

1 minute ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Have u seen the YT miniseries?

I'm...not sure what you're referring too. Sorry...

3 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

How have u not seen the web series!

I'll admit they changed a few bits which u may not like, but I found it ok.

Deathstroke has two eyes. Clearly this series is worthless and not worth my time!

Nah, honestly, I'd never heard of this series. :mellow: I will definitely check this out, thanks!

Well, I just finished my first set at the archery range.

First off all: ow. My hands and arms hurt. I think it was a longbow I used, but I still wasn't expecting the draw to be so much. :wacko:

Unfortunately, I don't have any fun stories. I NEARLY split an arrow, but that wasn't intentional, so even if it had happened, not something to brag about :P

But... I enjoyed it. So, there's that. 

On 24 February 2017 at 2:36 AM, Oversleep said:

@Quiver, octave in music is basically what 10 is in decimal numbers.

There are different sounds:

C, Cis/Des, D, Dis/Es, E, F, Fis/Ges, G, Gis/As, A, Ais/B, H. Then you go back to C and all over.
(technically F would be Eis and E would be Fes... if there was such a thing)

This will be helpful:

88-key-piano-keyboard-layout.jpg

Between C and D there is a full tone. Between C and Cis there is a half tone. A tone is two halftones.

An octave is 12 halftones. Halftone is the smallest distance between two tones. It's a music atom, kind of.

Is this helpful?

EDIT: Oh wait, you guys have B instead of H. Huh. But the rest still stands.

......what logic goes GAH? 

gah LOL.

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

First off all: ow. My hands and arms hurt. I think it was a longbow I used, but I still wasn't expecting the draw to be so much. :wacko:

Unfortunately, I don't have any fun stories. I NEARLY split an arrow, but that wasn't intentional, so even if it had happened, not something to brag about :P

Woop woop!

3 hours ago, Quiver said:

That sounds awesome, cept for the aches course. I guess that's to be a given, seeing how ripped Green Arrow is.

Glad you enjoyed it!