Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

13 minutes ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

In class, we had to pick names out of a hat and then give them hints as to who we were for Valentine's Day. 

I just finished my third two-page essay on astrophysics. 

I'm so proud of myself. 

Are these three things related? Because I'm super confused right now.

One of my friends posted this little art game on Facebook, and I'm having waaaay too much fun with it:

Spoiler

Disney Potato.jpg

Here's what I've made so far:

Spoiler

Disney Potato1.jpg

Spoiler

Disney Potato2.jpg

I'm thinking we might have a lot of fun 'shopping the potato to look like Sanderson characters... Who's game?

You know how at award shows reporters ask all the celebrities "who are you wearing?", meaning "who designed your clothes?" So a lot of celebrities have begun to voice their  annoyance and disdain for the term.

I just want one celebrity to have the guts to answer "who are you wearing?" with something along the lines of "Oh, her name was Cheryl. She was a sweet girl, but she knew too much."

9 hours ago, Sunbird said:

One of my friends posted this little art game on Facebook, and I'm having waaaay too much fun with it:

Reveal hidden contents

Disney Potato.jpg

Here's what I've made so far:

Reveal hidden contents

Disney Potato1.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Disney Potato2.jpg

I'm thinking we might have a lot of fun 'shopping the potato to look like Sanderson characters... Who's game?

Spoiler

IMG_1084.PNG

Well, here's my hastily changed template. I'm game to try with my meager art skills!

Okay, I know there's a chance this might come off sounding rude, but I mean it as a genuine question....

Could someone who likes fairies in fiction explain the appeal? Because I've been reading up on folklore lately, and every story about fairies, no matter how they're presented, has left me cold. Yet I know there's a reason these stories have endured across the years and across cultures, so....explain it please? I'm genuinely curious. 

13 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Okay, I know there's a chance this might come off sounding rude, but I mean it as a genuine question....

Could someone who likes fairies in fiction explain the appeal? Because I've been reading up on folklore lately, and every story about fairies, no matter how they're presented, has left me cold. Yet I know there's a reason these stories have endured across the years and across cultures, so....explain it please? I'm genuinely curious. 

I think it depends on the type of fairies, and how they are used?

I'm not really a fan of the sugar plum dumpling type of fairies, for instance; you know, those warm and cheerful and friends to the boys and girls. I do t see any kind of interesting hook with them.

But, their existence does make the fey a lot more interesting. I'm thinking mostly of Pratchet -read Lords and Ladies, it's amazing- but also, I think...

Celtic mythology has a lot of characters and gods and goddesses who would feed into that fey angle. I think the thing that's interesting about them is that tint of darkness, that alien wildness to them. It's compelling, almost intoxicating.

The fey -and fairies, obviously- I think are maybe interesting because they are more liminal that straight up gods abd goddesses? They are just human enough that we can understand them, just alien enough that we can't. They have their own worlds - Tir Na Nog - but unlike, say, Olympus, it's a place mortals can go to...but unlike Valhalla, going there carries a price (ie: the stories about people crossing over and coming back after a few days to find centuries have passed).

I don't know. It's an interesting question, and these are off the cuff rambles. Sorry.

Edited by Quiver

4 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

They are, generally, personifications of forces and events we do not/did not understand. They are best used as plot devices because while they can generally resolve a lot of problems, their fey nature makes them unpredictable. That leads to some interesting humor or suspense.

6 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Knee-jerk response: Horror. (Well, actually that's part of my rant about how fairy tales were never meant for small children) Early fairy tales (a la Brother Grimm) were adult horror stories that withstood the test of time.

Actual response: When you say 'fairies', that's kind of a loaded term. I usually make a distinction between the Fey, which are essentially part of mythology (and thus usual mythology reasons apply), and cute little fairies, which are used by Disney to market toys to small children. The former takes it's rightful place in the dark part of the human psyche, and the latter is ... Disney.

The Fey are part of the same culture that is the Cthullu mythos, that unknowable part of the universe that you can catch a mythical glimpse of. Make no mistake, it's very different, but it's a similar result. Fey are always bound by rules in our world, but that's because they aren't bound by rules we are (like entropy, for example), and people like the idea of something we can interact with, but are fundamentally different from us. Some people like it.

In addition, like anything with hundreds (if not thousands) of years of lore, it is very easy for authors and creators to draw upon them to add an inherit richness to their story, or fable. To someone familiar with the concepts, in can save time. Like elves, for examples. When someone says 'elves', the first thing to jump to find is the stereotype codified by J.R.R. Tolkien.

32 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

What is this ^^

it's hilarious

One of my friends on Facebook posted this template as an art game, and I was amused by it and thought some Sharders might also enjoy it. Nashan'Elin edited it to say "Sanderson character" instead of "Disney character," so now we have Sanderpotatoes. XD

Spoiler

Disney Potato.jpg

Also, I have more character potatoes:

Spoiler

Disney Potato3.jpg

Spoiler

Disney Potato4.jpg

Spoiler

Fictional Potato Yoda.jpg

Edited by Sunbird

19 hours ago, Pinnacle-Ferring said:

You know how at award shows reporters ask all the celebrities "who are you wearing?", meaning "who designed your clothes?" So a lot of celebrities have begun to voice their  annoyance and disdain for the term.

I just want one celebrity to have the guts to answer "who are you wearing?" with something along the lines of "Oh, her name was Cheryl. She was a sweet girl, but she knew too much."

Once my friend asked me 'what type of people do you hate the least?' and I told her 'ones who excersize a lot. Their flesh is not tender enough,' so I would so do that if I was a celebrety.