Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

12 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Thanks @Quiver and @ShadowLord_Lith!

Quiver it's supposed to be sort of between the reader and the writer. I was trying my hand at it for the first time and yeah...

Is it me, or is this site dying? I mean, everyone's slowly getting less active (me included)

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

The site is not dying, there are new posts in almost 10 threads every day on this subforum alone.

Seconding this.  The Random thread (and the General board itself) are just a microcosm of the Shard population as a whole.  There are fiercely active regulars on the various theory boards who never poke their noses down here.  Likewise, the RP and SE boards tend to have a lot of activity.

I am hopelessly behind on the Mistborn boards.  There's just too much!

There are also strong surges whenever a new book or novella is published for the corresponding series board and the general Cosmere Theories board.  It'll be a bit quiet through much of the year, but once the new Stormlight book is published activity will spike and we'll get an influx of new Sharders.

4 hours ago, bleeder said:

Run and hide.

Please, if you are not directly involved in the recovery and cleanup from Valentine's Day, stay off the roads to make room for those who are. This Valentine's Day, as all Valentine's Days, will not succeed in bringing our city down. This Valentine's Day, as all all Valentine's Days, will soon recede into painful memory, fading with time, until another foul Valentine's Day is upon us again.

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Great. I already have a Christmass story boiling (which I haven't started) about cultists trying to revive/summon a dark god on winter solstice; now I started thinking "what can I do with Valentine's Day?"...

Kupała's Night (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kupala_Night) is more interesting to use in a story ^^

6 hours ago, Mestiv said:

Kupała's Night (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kupala_Night) is more interesting to use in a story ^^

Naah. That one is for the summer solstice story. Solstices are good for summoning dark gods.

Valentine's day however is celebrated worldwide which provides a vast amount of emotional charge and that can also be useful for something.

14 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Since there is a movie coming, I decided to get familiar with Ghost in the Shell.

The thing is, there are multiple manga(s), anime(s) and films, all in different continuities.

Where do I start and how do I proceed?

Oh man, Ghost in the Shell. Okay. I know of the various Ghost in the Shell continuities, so I'm gonna try and break this down into my recommended order... but bear in mind that I haven't really read or watched most of this, I've just dipped my toe in the water.

First of, from everything I've heard about the manga... I don't know if I would recommend it as your gateway series. It sounds very different from the later, more famous incarnations that the live action film (presumably) will be drawing from.

The movie continuity is probably a good place to start, since it only has two films in it: the original Ghost in the Shell, and Ghost in the Shell II: Innocence. The original Ghost in the Shell film is one of the most influential anime films of all time -the Matrix takes a lot of cues from it- and it's part of what catapulted the series to fame to begin with. I haven't seen the trailers or synopsis for the film, but I'd say it's a safe bet the movie will draw from this. 
As a caveat -and part of why I didn't enjoy the film that much- it's the type of film which relies a lot of philosophical waxing and posturing. It's definitely the kind of film you should watch - like I said, it's pretty dang influential - but I didn't feel it was particularly character driven. Your mileage may vary.

The TV series is titled Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and is a bit more character driven; it's also a bit longer, since it consists of two seasons of around 20 episodes a piece. Each season concerns one major, overarching plot thread, mixed in with some side episodes to develop the characters. Again, it's a really influential anime, so there is a good chance that the film will be drawing from that for some of the characterization... but it could be a time sink.
Luckily! If you just want the arc stuff (the highlights reel, I guess) both seasons have been condensed into films. Ghost in the Shell:The Laughing Man and Ghost in the Shell: Individual Eleven both serve as movie versions of the first and second seasons overarching plots. So, if you want a speed run version of the anime, you could watch those two, and then go back and watch the Stand Alone episodes later.
(There is also a sequel OVA to SAC, titled Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society. I literally know nothing about that, other than that it's a sequel set after the main series, so... don't watch that.)

So... yeah. Depends on how much free time, and what kind, of story you're looking for, I suppose. I prefer the TV series continuity - what I've seen of it, at any rate- but the fact that everything is squared off from each other means you can just pick one and start there. If it helps you decide, the original Ghost in the Shell film came first, so... that is literally the starting point. 

On 03/02/2017 at 2:41 PM, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Don't worry. If need be I shall keep this place alive through sheer force of dedicated posting.:P

Spam threat aside, all sites have their ups and downs. This site only had a few hundred-thousand active followers, give or take a few hundred-million.:lol:

With that in mind, the fact that we have as much activity as we do, considering silly things like "Real Life", is really rather nice. Things will pick up, most likely in the summer when people have more time to obsess over this place again. ^_^

I've been busy too! Just moved apartment and job hunting so not a ton of time to be sharding. I'm here as often as I can though. 

On 03/02/2017 at 4:13 PM, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Here in the US of A, teachers have a proud(?) tradition of just showing movies when they don't feel like teaching. :P

Aussie teachers do the endnote if semester thing too. I had one fantastic history and English teacher who used movies as a successful teaching tool. Twas awesome. 

2 minutes ago, bleeder said:

I'm sorry, Twi :(

*hugs*

What all are you allergic to?

Artificial additives. So anything that's a color followed by a number (Yellow 5) a string of letters as a preservative (BHT, TBHQ) or an artificial flavor is off limits. Which does limit my snacking choices pretty severely.

Re: the whole movies in class thing:

I've had teachers who used them as a teaching aid before, and it works pretty well whilst keeping the class engaged. Also, I had two classes (Mythology and Astronomy) show A New Hope the last day before Christmas break, as Ep. 7 was coming out a week later. :D And I had that one class where literally all we did was read and sometimes watch movies. :lol: 

Edited by Slowswift