soyperson

Random Stuff X: Something Weird

4,665 posts in this topic

This is the kind of thing I think about when playing hashtag games on Twitter...

Philosoraptor Highly Underrated.jpg

4 hours ago, Erunion said:

@Oversleep - Nice :D

But I almost wanted him to say 'Science!' and leave. 

And have the theorem be just an interaction of the traditional physical sciences and a magical source. 

I was inspired by how the popular answer for "how magnets work" is "magic" . Or how we don't really understand gravity.

If it was science, he would be explaining it but the fact is that the effect exists and nobody has any idea how. They have a pretty good grasp on magic (like we do on physics) but this effect just is and makes zero sense in any proposed model. It's like some god pulled a trick on them and inserted this random effect into otherwise scientifically analisable magic.

Yeah, I made it all up on spot.

Edited by Oversleep

I'm home sick and I just had to sign for a Fed-Ex package in a pink polka-dotted bathrobe I've had since I was seven.

Today's off to a great start.

11 hours ago, Erunion said:

@Oversleep - Nice :D

But I almost wanted him to say 'Science!' and leave. 

And have the theorem be just an interaction of the traditional physical sciences and a magical source. 

Sort of the opposite of Clark's Law.  "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."

30 minutes ago, Mistrunner said:

I'm home sick and I just had to sign for a Fed-Ex package in a pink polka-dotted bathrobe I've had since I was seven.

Aw, I'm sorry. :( 

6 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Aw, I'm sorry. :( 

At least I get to spend the day reading books and drinking apple juice. That makes up for the cough somewhat. :P

7 minutes ago, Mistrunner said:

At least I get to spend the day reading books and drinking apple juice. That makes up for the cough somewhat. :P

There's not much worse than being sick and realizing you took your non-sick days for granted, though. :P

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

There's not much worse than being sick and realizing you took your non-sick days for granted, though. :P

Very true. :P Breathing used to come so naturally to me...

1 hour ago, Mistrunner said:

How on earth does that bathrobe still fit you? 

53 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Sort of the opposite of Clark's Law.  "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."

I prefer "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from miracle" ~ Magicians

5 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

How on earth does that bathrobe still fit you? 

Um.

Not sure, actually.

It's more the size of a coat, now, and the sleeves are at my elbows. I basically use it as a fluffy indoor overcoat.

But it's comfy, so I'm going to keep wearing it until it falls apart at the seams. :P

Edited by Mistrunner

I'm back from a visit to Florida. While I was there, it almost felt like I'd never left. Nothing had changed, except me. I noticed things that I'd never thought I would miss, like all the stupid little trinkets I've had on my dresser forever, or that one flagpole that's probably 40 feet tall. When I walked into my house and saw that everything looked a little shorter than I remembered, I almost cried. 

But I also realized that when I do go back to Florida for good, I'm going to miss things from Virginia, like the library, my seminary class, my young women's leaders, and dryer weather. I felt just a little bit homesick when I finally came back to the place I've called home for 13 years. 

. . . Why is it like this? 

Edited by The Honor Spren

@The Honor Spren You see, in Cosmere there's this thing called Connection

Attachment leads to jealousy, the shadow of greed

Humans tend to get attached to things, places and people. It's get hard when there are two things that are mutually exclusive (you cannot live in two homes). It's only natural.

Just now, The Honor Spren said:

I'm back from a visit to Florida. While I was there, it almost felt like I'd never left. Nothing had changed, except me. I noticed things that I'd never thought I would miss, like all the stupid little trinkets I've had on my dresser forever, or that one flagpole that's probably 40 feet tall. When I walked into my house and saw that everything looked a little shorter than I remembered, I almost cried. 

But I also realized that when I do go back to Florida for good, I'm going to miss things from Virginia, like the library, my seminary class, my young women's leaders, and dryer weather. I felt just a little bit homesick while I when I finally came back to the place I've called home for 13 years. 

I'm sorry. :( I know that feel, and it sucks. It's partially a lovely thing, because it means humans can find the best and most beautiful things anywhere and learn to love any situation. It's also kind of terrible when one must leave behind one place, no matter how wonderful the place one is going to is, because there will always be things there that can't translate to anywhere else.

Moving is one of the most bittersweet things I've experienced. There's a lot of twisty, uncomfortable emotions that come out that could be avoided if one just stayed in one's hometown their entire life. On the other hand, it's a great blessing, because one learns to appreciate so many different things and experiences.

There's really nothing helpful I can say on this topic, so here's a respectful meme, as those are my new favorite thing.

Spoiler

tumblr_okk7jpx3vP1vmqmo0o1_1280.jpg

33 minutes ago, Mistrunner said:

I'm sorry. :( I know that feel, and it sucks. It's partially a lovely thing, because it means humans can find the best and most beautiful things anywhere and learn to love any situation. It's also kind of terrible when one must leave behind one place, no matter how wonderful the place one is going to is, because there will always be things there that can't translate to anywhere else.

Moving is one of the most bittersweet things I've experienced. There's a lot of twisty, uncomfortable emotions that come out that could be avoided if one just stayed in one's hometown their entire life. On the other hand, it's a great blessing, because one learns to appreciate so many different things and experiences.

There's really nothing helpful I can say on this topic, so here's a respectful meme, as those are my new favorite thing.

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_okk7jpx3vP1vmqmo0o1_1280.jpg

*applauding through tears*

That is the most wholesome saltbae meme I think I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. Thank you.

19 minutes ago, bleeder said:

*applauding through tears*

That is the most wholesome saltbae meme I think I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. Thank you.

Respectful memes are one of the best internets I've discovered. Just look at them.

Spoiler

tumblr_okcqyg655Y1vmqmo0o1_1280.jpgtumblr_ok3l45Qoaq1vmqmo0o1_1280.jpg

They're perfect.

Edit: So the mailman came and I had to answer the door again. Why are all the packages coming today? :mellow:

Edited by Mistrunner

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Whenever I feel the need to go "whaaaaa?" I visit the Dennys Tumblr. 

That place is weird. 

Denny's tumblr is a mind-boggingly land of "what kind of person even thinks of this insanity?"

5 minutes ago, Nashan'Elin said:

Denny's tumblr is a mind-boggingly land of "what kind of person even thinks of this insanity?"

And you're torn between asking the person who thinks of it if they want you to send help, and wanting to sit back and see where it all goes. 

Denny's tumblr is the only good blog on that site, if I'm being completely honest.

We're watching Star Wars in english. Wild. I love college literature.

7 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

But I also realized that when I do go back to Florida for good, I'm going to miss things from Virginia, like the library, my seminary class, my young women's leaders, and dryer weather. I felt just a little bit homesick when I finally came back to the place I've called home for 13 years. 

I know this feeling... I moved to a foreign country when I was twelve (not too long ago), and was forced to learn a whole new language just to ask where the darn bathroom was. Funny how you miss even the little things when you don't have them anymore. Then I moved back to America and suddenly all the things I would miss about that country were obvious. No one here had changed, but I had, and that made all the difference. It's like you appreciate something more when it's in comparison with other things.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say with this, so... yeah.

1 hour ago, Kestrel said:

We're watching Star Wars in english. Wild. I love college literature.

What in tarnation...grumble...Star Wars ain't no type of literature!

*continues pretentious grumbling*

1 minute ago, Orlion Determined said:

I watched an episode of sherlock in my English class

7 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

I watched Star Wars in Spanish in Spanish. 

But in the second day, we just finished it off in English.

Thanks @Quiver and @ShadowLord_Lith!

Quiver it's supposed to be sort of between the reader and the writer. I was trying my hand at it for the first time and yeah...

Is it me, or is this site dying? I mean, everyone's slowly getting less active (me included)