Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

I've been thinking more about why Twelve didn't work for me. 

A part of it, absolutely, is that old fan hang-up, that you never forget your first Doctor. The first episodes of Who I saw were Ten's farewell, and while I did catch up on the seasons before series five aired... Eleven was my Doctor. I'm not saying he was the best Doctor; my opinion on that score changes rather freqently (though I am rather partial to Doctors Six through Nine).

But Eleven was the one I watched live, every week. Series Five remains my favorite season of Doctor Who, partly because of Smith, partly because I think that was the seasons where Moffat best captured the "dark fairytale" aestehtic Eleven was so good at working in. 

Partly, I think it's because the writing was, simply, better. I don't feel like series six and seven really did much to improve Eleven's character; they darkened it, but I don't think it made him any better. It just made him darker and more miserable.

Moving to Twelve and... you know, I wish more and more than Moffat had left when Smith left, because I feel like the writing, simply, was not strong enough. They did try to change the tone of the show - they go for a much starker, darker atmosphere, and I think they try to go for more science fiction than fairy tale -  but it never quite clicked for me.

I certainly like the ideas behind Twelve; an acerbic old man, someone who isn't as touchy freely, isn't as happy as he was in earlier incarnations, someone who is a little more alien. But that portrayal really needed to be grounded by a great companionas a counterpoint and... 

And I don't think Clara was that, either. Series Seven had been built around the idea of Clara as a mystery to be solved, which pushed all the responsibility for developing her as a character into series Eight... but it also meant that the audience didn't really connect with her during those early episodes when she was disoriented. It also meant that we ended up having to split the difference between developing the Doctor and developing Clara.

... But then, the show started by developing Nine and Rose at the same time. Moffat started by developing Eleven and Amy at the same time. So why didn't his efforts with Twleve and Clara work?

I'm... still trying to figure that part out. -_- 

As a side note... i think @TwiLyghtSansSparkles mentioned this once? Not sure; don't want to put words in her mouth, but I don't want to claim this as wholey my idea, either. But I do feel like...

It feels like, maybe Moffat changed his mind about how Twelve should act between seasons. Watching series Two through Four, I see a throughline for Ten's characterisation (admittedly, I wish he had leaned harder into the egotistical Time Lord Victorius in the series proper, but that's a whole other discussion). While I prefer Eleven's initial portrayal, I can still see how the Eleven of series Five became the Eleven of series Seven. But...

Twelve feels more disjointed. It feels like Season Eight focused on making him grumpy... then season nine opens with him rocking out, on a tank, at a medieval party. Sure, the prospect of death can change a man* but that change seemed far too jarring. I could see other Doctors maybe deciding to rock out -if not in quite that fashion- but Twelve's best moments didn't seem connected to that wild and crazy portrayal we got in the premiere. It felt like I was watching a completely different character from the previous year.

*with spoilers,

I'm going to point to the death thing as evidence that Moffat was getting burned out, or phoning it in, because seriously. The audience had, by this point, watched Eleven believe he was about to die, get a fresh set of regenerations, watched Twelve spend a season dealing with the Afterlife... and then Twelve opens this season with "I'm about to die, for real this time"? Between that, the Doctor Lies, the Doctor's Wife, the Doctor's Most Important Companion, the Doctor's Name...

It feels like Moffat centered a lot of Doctor Who's mythology around his characters and concepts, and presented them as the Most Important Things.Granted, that comes with being the show runner in a sserialized show; you have to up the stakes. But -just as Davies finale escalation bothered me- Moffat going back and fishing in that well so often bothers me.

6 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Feedback on my story?

Anyone want me to draw them? I'm playing around with charcoal and would like some practise, plus, I'll get to do your portraits.

Send me descriptions or Pictures either here or PM.

Thanks

Sorry; on mobile at the moment. Feedback soon, if that's okay?

@Darkness Ascendant Okay, story reactions.

First of all, I need to say... I am not a fan of the first person. It's a personal thing; I like bigger worlds and characters, so focusing the viewpoint down to a single person doesn't really work for me.

(And yes, I know that there are excellent first person narratives, and that things like Name of the Wind and the Lies of Locke Lamore does fanastic world building in that style. I'm just pointing out that it's not a narrative person I, personally, enjoy.)

I think it is, over all, good; personally, I like the ending.I actually read it as a very ambiguous ending; the spinal tumor would suggest that the syringe is from surgery, but the murders throughout and the immediately preceding presence of the police gives the impression that the syringe might just be the character being delivered the lethal injection.

I'd caveat that with... again, this isn't the type of story I would normally like. Despite the fact that my own RP's and writing veers towards a lot of introspection, but I generally like a bit more action... but then, this is the story of a miserable, petty person reflecting on their life and looking forward to the best part of it, so it fits that kind of mood.

Overall... yeah, it's a solid story.

Minor continuity issue though:

How old are you now? 80? 30 years since you saw her beautiful face. Before the world got in between you two.

For 20 years you haven’t seen each other. But you know she’s waiting for you.

Shouldn't that 20 be 30? Or am I misunderstanding something?

EDIT Oh! Maybe someone can help me with something?

I've been trying to find an old myth I read a long time ago. Problem: I can't remember the name of the myth, or of the main character. I only barely even remember the event it detailed...

But the event was so cool that I really want to read it again. So.

The moment in question is... the hero is elading a group of people through a forest when night falls. The people are shaking with fear and unwilling to go any further... so the hero cuts out his heart. He holds it up in front of them, and it starts shining, like a lantern, lighting up the forest. He leads the group out of the forest before dying, on account of... you know. Heart being cut out of his chest and all that.

I think it's Germanic, or at least European, and I'm leaning towards Roland as a name for the guy, but... I might be misremembering. So... if anyone could say if that rings any bells, I'd appreciate it!

Edited by Quiver

14 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Ever wonder what Bruce is like when he's not squeaky (which is to say, whenever he's not beside himself at the idea of a trip to Petsmart)? 

Reveal hidden contents

If you're wondering what he's eating, I'm giving him dried cranberries dipped in peanut butter. 

He makes it look like sitting down takes all of the effort. :mellow:

5 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Did you know there's a city in Missouri called Mexico?

Yes.

Also, Missouri has Cuba, New London, Versallies, Venice, Lebanon, Nevada, Florida, and Savannah.  There's even a Houston, which is the county seat of Texas County.

I grew up in Memphis, MO.  It's in Scotland County, just 20 miles down the highway from Lancaster.

10 hours ago, Quiver said:

EDIT Oh! Maybe someone can help me with something?

I've been trying to find an old myth I read a long time ago. Problem: I can't remember the name of the myth, or of the main character. I only barely even remember the event it detailed...

But the event was so cool that I really want to read it again. So.

The moment in question is... the hero is elading a group of people through a forest when night falls. The people are shaking with fear and unwilling to go any further... so the hero cuts out his heart. He holds it up in front of them, and it starts shining, like a lantern, lighting up the forest. He leads the group out of the forest before dying, on account of... you know. Heart being cut out of his chest and all that.

I think it's Germanic, or at least European, and I'm leaning towards Roland as a name for the guy, but... I might be misremembering. So... if anyone could say if that rings any bells, I'd appreciate it!

I know there's a really, really old book called the Song of Roland, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for, as I haven't read it myself.

But that does sound like really cool scene. :D 

You know how sometimes scientists answer "magic" to a question that's complicated or something not well understood?

Spoiler

It was already ten minutes past the time the lecture should start.
Unsurprisingly, the usually quiet students attending the "Basic magical mechanics" started getting louder and louder. It was not long before the idea of making attendancy list and leaving to enjoy last warm days of autumn would have arisen. The days were getting shorter and colder and soon - if the department of Fore Casting was not wrong - snow would entomb the university and its campus.

Then, before the first silencing spells were to be thrown around, the doors at the end of the room flung open and Proffesor Gunther with his usual tired expression entered the class.

What wasn't usual however was how he didn't enchant the chalk or how he did not make any effort to organize the mess left on the podium by the previous class. He also carried none of his usual books.

Without mentioning his late arrival prof. Gunther greeted the class and announced a test next week. After that he cleared his throat and asked:

"So who is looking forward to my explanation of the Additional Thermo-Magnetic Spell Radiation?"

Students - surprised at the fairly advanced but otherwise fascinating topic - started talking to each other with excitement, only to be quieted by prof. Gunther.

"Does anybody have any ideas? Entertain me!"

A few half-hearted explanations were offered but all of them quickly dismissed.

"Well, let me tell you. Do you remember how I said at the beginning of this course that not every magical phenomenom has - yet - an explanation? This is not one of those phenomenoms."

He paced to the end of the blackboard and back. Any sufficiently advanced Emotionist who would be passing by could clearly detect crystallizing anitcipation.

"The source of this phenomenom is in fact well known to any of you."

Students unconsciously leaned forward, as if to be able to hear prof. Gunther better.

"Magic."

Then he left.

Edited by Oversleep

9 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Yes.

Also, Missouri has Cuba, New London, Versallies, Venice, Lebanon, Nevada, Florida, and Savannah.  There's even a Houston, which is the county seat of Texas County.

I grew up in Memphis, MO.  It's in Scotland County, just 20 miles down the highway from Lancaster.

I started to write a little skit about Missouri settlers, but realized there's already a better version:

4 hours ago, Erunion said:

@Oversleep - Nice :D

But I almost wanted him to say 'Science!' and leave. 

And have the theorem be just an interaction of the traditional physical sciences and a magical source. 

I was inspired by how the popular answer for "how magnets work" is "magic" . Or how we don't really understand gravity.

If it was science, he would be explaining it but the fact is that the effect exists and nobody has any idea how. They have a pretty good grasp on magic (like we do on physics) but this effect just is and makes zero sense in any proposed model. It's like some god pulled a trick on them and inserted this random effect into otherwise scientifically analisable magic.

Yeah, I made it all up on spot.

Edited by Oversleep

11 hours ago, Erunion said:

@Oversleep - Nice :D

But I almost wanted him to say 'Science!' and leave. 

And have the theorem be just an interaction of the traditional physical sciences and a magical source. 

Sort of the opposite of Clark's Law.  "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."