Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

47 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

John Hurt has passed away.

You probably know him as Ollivander from Harry Potter films.

Or, like myself, as the War Doctor from the 50th Anniversary special.

From what I read, it sounds like he had had some health problems recently (though they had been optimistic about things in October), so... I don't know what to add. Sympathies to his family, obviously. 

Edited by Quiver

2 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

I just found what I think is a really nice depiction of PTSD. An ex soldier is constantly having dreams of being dragged back.

It's an interesting idea. Now, would something similar also be considered PTSD? Example: a college graduate has a dream of being late to an important final.

1 hour ago, Orlion Determined said:

It's an interesting idea. Now, would something similar also be considered PTSD? Example: a college graduate has a dream of being late to an important final.

I think that that would just be considered anxiety and/or stress

So I got a bit of inspiration to start writing last night, just a few paragraphs, and I thought I'd post here for some feedback on the general concept and hopefully entertain ya'll for a couple minutes. Spoiler'd for size. 

Spoiler

Rea was not like the Earth.

Perhaps it would be better to say that the people of Rea were not like those living on Earth. The planet itself was very similar. It orbited a star like Earth’s, it lacked a moon, but had sister planets that were much closer than Earth’s siblings. There were several continents, currently spread out, but when they were in a pangea formation they looked strangely like the face of a bear. There were far fewer of the tiny islands that were scattered through Earth’s oceans, but there were were many large islands that geologists postulated may have once formed the pan-bear’s whiskers.

But really, does anyone care about astronomy and geography anymore? The point is, what are the people like?

It depends.

Rea’s people were humans, no doubt about that. Some of them were just like some of Earth’s people. Others would seem very strange like a British gentleman in the hills of West Virginia. Much of that is of course due to historical and cultural differences, a climate system based on a slightly different axial tilt, far weaker tides, etc.

There was one major difference prevalent throughout most of Rea’s cultures and religions.

They didn’t think they were the center of the universe. They could be egotistical for sure, but not only did they not think they were alone in the universe, special beings on their planet, or any of the other funny lies earthlings tell themselves, for the most part they were pretty sure they were on the back half of creation.

Their earliest creation legends usually involved some god or other taking a nap after building a couple thousand worlds, then accidentally knocking over an ornamental jar of beads or somesuch that then became Rea. The major monotheistic religions believed that the great wars between good and evil were being fought somewhere else in the universe, and that there were only minor minions of the devil bothering with their planet. As they got better at astronomy and looking at planets they were able to prove this. Since all the planets they could see were dreary rocks or violent gas clouds obviously lifeless and nobody had bothered wiping verdant Rea off the galactic map, the planet obviously couldn’t be very important.

12 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

In which case, how is the first something more than anxiety and/or stress?

I posit it's because popular parlance believes incorrectly that PTSD is only the purview of war experiences. 

For most students, exams aren't usually enough to cause serious trauma (and the other symptoms associated with PTSD). 

However, as someone who's mother has PTSD (not war related), it's really nice to raise awareness - PTSD is common in soldiers because of the amount of stress they are under. It is not, however, unique to soldiers. Far from it. 

You probably are familiar with Chinese bootleg subtitles for Revenge of the Sith? You know, where Vader's final "NOOO!!!!" is "Do not want"?

Somebody dubbed the whole thing with those subtitles.

If you're not convinced...:

Again, this is just a small sample of a much larger movie - here are some more choice bits (note that "Anakin" seems to randomly translate to either "A line" or "Allah gold" for some reason and the Jedi Council is constantly referred to as "hopeless situation")

Edited by Oversleep

52 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

You probably are familiar with Chinese bootleg subtitles for Revenge of the Sith? You know, where Vader's final "NOOO!!!!" is "Do not want"?

Somebody dubbed the whole thing with those subtitles.

If you're not convinced...:

I have never heard of this subtitle project. I know there was a Phantom Menace edit deleting Jar Jar though...?

Also, Aquaman is so cool. 

I mean... think about it. How many superheroes operate exclusively in the ocean? There are dozens, if not hundreds, of fictional versions of Chicago, and New York, and Vegas in comics.

But the ocean? That is so underexplored and underrepresented. It's mysterious, and filled withdrew life that looks like it's ripped straight from fantasy novels, and that's just the stuff we know about. Add in mythological connections, like kraken, and Leviathan, and Atlantis, and, honestly?

Aquaman is probably situated to be one of the most interesting and unique characters in fiction.

There's a country song getting a good deal of airplay called "Somewhere on a Beach." The chorus includes this line: 

Got a new girl, she's got it going on
We drink all day, and party all night
I'm way too gone to have you on my mind
Well, she's got a body….

:o 

HOW DARE YOU LACK-OF-BODY SHAME YOUR NON-CORPOREAL EX GIRLFRIEND!

…..

I think I'm listening to too much Night Vale. :mellow: 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I found several cool birds today with a couple of friends. =D (And got some photos too!)

We saw @Kestrel's namesake nomming on some sort of smallish animal while sitting on a power line. (Fear not; the photos aren't graphic. Unfortunately, they're not high quality either. I had the settings on my camera all wrong.)

Spoiler

Kestrel Nom Crop.jpg

Kestrel Nom Crop2.jpg

We found lots of ducks and geese, plus a few seagulls on a pond. Here's a faraway shot I took of a crowd of them:

Spoiler

Salem Pond Waterfowl Numbered.jpg

In this photo are 5 kinds of ducks, plus a Canada goose. 1) Common Goldeneyes. 2) Canvasback. 3) Common Merganser. 4) Ring-necked Duck. 5) Lesser Scaup. 6) Canada Goose.

There were also a few of these American Coots on the pond. This guy was really friendly, like he wanted us to throw him some bread.

Spoiler

IMG_0035.JPG

Those are all my reasonably okay photos from today, but the coolest birds were ones I wasn't able to photograph: a Ring-necked Pheasant, a pair of ravens, and a Merlin!

Pheasant (photo from Audubon.org):

Spoiler

19185_150806_jimurbach_ringneckedpheasan

I'd never seen a pheasant before, so it was a real treat to see one of these guys running pell-mell across a snowy field with his long tail trailing behind him.

Ravens (photo from the Encyclopaedia Britannica):

Spoiler

130116-004-B72EBFDB.jpg

These birds are so big we thought they were vultures at first glance! Makes sense, since ravens are only 2 inches smaller in length according to my field guide.

Merlin (photo from Pinterest):

Spoiler

5da18cdb9efbc64905fa27de371f6124.jpg

I found the little guy (they're almost as tiny as kestrels) about a block away from a relative's house in a regular suburban neighborhood. Totally unexpected and very, very cool.

@Sunbird, awesome photos!!!!!:D

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles, you guys introduced me to night-vale a month ago or so; I'm on episode 100. I don't believe that there is such a thing as "too much" nightvale. Or mountains. Or a dog-park. Or the fluffy white things over our heads, for that matter.

2 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

There's a country song getting a good deal of airplay called "Somewhere on a Beach." The chorus includes this line: 

:o 

HOW DARE YOU LACK-OF-BODY SHAME YOUR NON-CORPOREAL EX GIRLFRIEND!

…..

I think I'm listening to too much Night Vale. :mellow: 

I laughed literally out loud while reading this and got stares from the people around me.

@ShadowLord_Lith "Toast" made me cry. Also, what are mountains? Mountains? More like nothings.

Edited by bleeder

On 28/01/2017 at 4:28 AM, Cognizantastic said:

Today, I found out that security guards at our school get weekly emails with a "new couple" list of the names of students suspected to be an item, so they can better identify who to keep from kissing and such.

The anti-PDA forces here are mildly terrifying. :blink:

O_o

On 1/27/2017 at 8:28 PM, Cognizantastic said:

Today, I found out that security guards at our school get weekly emails with a "new couple" list of the names of students suspected to be an item, so they can better identify who to keep from kissing and such.

The anti-PDA forces here are mildly terrifying. :blink:

Just out of curiosity, is the entire guard squad made up of dead-eyed men who shamble from place to place with a lifeless gait, reporting to a professor in a green bowler hat who really hates kissing for some reason?