Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

Well its official....the first of what is being called The Unholy Trifecta is now finished! Scott Lynch announced on Twitter that The Thorn of Emberlain is finished and now will go through the editing process. Now the ball is in the Rothfuss/Martin court now. I, personally, think Winds of Winter will come next. I have zero confidence in Doors of Stone coming out in the next five years.

• 2 weeks later...

Memorial Day weekend was ConQuesT here in Kansas City; our local sci-fi/fantasy literature con.

I...was the convention Chair. And I didn't break the con! It went about as smoothly as these things really can go; there were a few bumps, but nothing catastrophic. Now that I have that con-running experience, I have a much better idea of the things that need to be codified and hammered out for the longevity and health of the con.

But even as things stand, I think I have accomplished that most important job of a convention Chair; I am ending my tenure in that position with the con in better shape than it was when I started.

Now I get to go back to just running my Guest Liaisons department, at least for a while, instead of being that poor idiot whose desk is constantly piled with stopped bucks.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:09 AM, Ammanas said:

Well its official....the first of what is being called The Unholy Trifecta is now finished! Scott Lynch announced on Twitter that The Thorn of Emberlain is finished and now will go through the editing process. Now the ball is in the Rothfuss/Martin court now. I, personally, think Winds of Winter will come next. I have zero confidence in Doors of Stone coming out in the next five years.

I have zero confidence in Doors of Stone coming out at all. I think the idea of publishing it has broken Rothfuss psychologically. 

Martin is Martin. I think his biggest problem is that he has to write on an old machine. That means anytime he's traveling, there is absolutely no writing getting done. 

Yeah it’s a shame these authors give the genre a bad name and people assume all fantasy authors take years to complete books. Some people say they will not read incomplete series, which it a terrible attitude, because if it doesn’t sell well publishers will drop a series. I’ve seen it happen with Kearney’s Sea Beggars, Glen Cook’s Instrumentalities of the Night, The Facefakers Game (was supposed to start a series), plus many more. These are high quality books/series that were cut short and left incomplete due to poor sales.

Picked up Ghosts of the Shadow Market by Cassandra Clare since I’ve been curious on her Shadowhunters series but I wanted to start with the closest thing that comes to being a standalone without needing to read the main books since I want to make sure I like her style and characters before taking the plunge.

• 3 weeks later...

*scoots in here after being inactive for about a decade*

Hiiiii I started rereading Alloy of Law and I forgot how much I loved Cosmere. Hopefully I am back here for a bit longer now. I am all over the place in my life right now, but this was honestly one of the best places I've ever been on the internet so I need to be here more. (It also seems like this thread isn't very active anymore, I hope I'm not necroing lol)

Sadly I still have not finished Oathbringer.

Un-sadly I just applied for my general falconry permit, so fingers crossed that comes in soon <3 totally hasn't been feverishly checking my email every hour I'll be changing my pace this season and flying a kestrel instead of a red-tail.

How has everyone else been here?

also have a borb

tumblr_p28sa5SseR1wwu6nzo1_250.jpg

Welcome back to the Shard @Kestrel!

You haven’t finished Oathbringer!? That is kinda sad. It’s really good, so get to it as soon as you can! :) 

Hope your permit comes in soon! Sounds exciting.

I think we’ve all been pretty good. I, for one, have been great!

Awww. That’s a cute bird.

Thank you @Rebecca!

Ahhh I know! I just have started having trouble focusing on longer books. I really need to get back into it. I started listening to it on audio but the narrator's voice started putting me to sleep.

Well, I'm working with the government and we know how fast that can be. My apprentice permit took about... three weeks to process? I don't remember exactly, that was three years ago.

Good to hear! And thank you, his name was Revali. He was my first bird and will always have a place in my heart. Later this afternoon I'll dig up my falconry thread and type up some updates, I think.

haha yeah. I'm not holding out much hope though. But it's also not like I can go looking for another bird any time soon, so I'm fine to wait. I just hope my check actually... made it there lol.

He was a sweetie! My second bird... not so much. She tried to kill me on a few occasions, in addition to going after the dog (golden retriever) and cat. There she is, in all her glory. 1300 grams of monster. Look at those feet! (under spoiler because the image is rather large)

Spoiler

c8cRrwR.png

52 minutes ago, Kestrel said:

haha yeah. I'm not holding out much hope though. But it's also not like I can go looking for another bird any time soon, so I'm fine to wait. I just hope my check actually... made it there lol.

He was a sweetie! My second bird... not so much. She tried to kill me on a few occasions, in addition to going after the dog (golden retriever) and cat. There she is, in all her glory. 1300 grams of monster. Look at those feet! (under spoiler because the image is rather large)

Reveal hidden contents

c8cRrwR.png

@Sunbird and you would be friends I think.

Good luck with stuff! Your second bird is amazing.

3 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

@Sunbird and you would be friends I think.

Good luck with stuff! Your second bird is amazing.

I think we might have spoken a few times! Sadly my memory isn't the best and I don't remember a lot of people from here when I used to be active (and I'm not sure if they're still active, either).

Haha, she was. Something. I still have scars on my hand from her. I have no doubt she's still out there in the wild after I released her. She was a survivor for sure.

Welcome back @Kestrel! I'd definitely get to reading the beast that is Oathbringer, hopefully by that time we have an announcement for Rhythm of War! Even the audio version is a long one but it's worth it.

Good luck with the falconry permit, I can imagine the excitement.

That's a damnation fine looking bird! 

@Wander89

Fingers crossed I do! I should get on that after my AoL reread. Chugging through Shadows of Self right now lol. I missed Wax and Wayne.

Thanks! Even if her excessive wildness made her almost untrainable lol. I'm hoping my kestrel won't be that bad. My first bird was TOO tame. Jadz wanted to eat my eyeballs. I would like something inbetween that this time.

47 minutes ago, Kestrel said:

@Wander89

Fingers crossed I do! I should get on that after my AoL reread. Chugging through Shadows of Self right now lol. I missed Wax and Wayne.

Thanks! Even if her excessive wildness made her almost untrainable lol. I'm hoping my kestrel won't be that bad. My first bird was TOO tame. Jadz wanted to eat my eyeballs. I would like something inbetween that this time.

A bird that only wants to eat one of your eyeballs? :P

1 hour ago, Kestrel said:

@Wander89

desperately needing that Lost Metal book!

wow, like @Lunamor said, one eyeball this time?? :P

1 hour ago, Wander89 said:

desperately needing that Lost Metal book!

wow, like @Lunamor said, one eyeball this time?? :P

Need a bird that is angry enough that it wants to hunt, but not angry enough that it wants to hunt me.

One eyeball would be a noble sacrifice.