Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

The song "Last Christmas" bothers me for a number of reasons (it's repetitive and irritating, it's on every station, every artist known to man has covered it and it's STILL ANNOYING) but I've hit on another reason, this one involving the chorus: 

Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day, you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special

Note the second line: The very next day, you gave it away. Not you gave it back or you left it cold in the snow or something similar. No, you gave it away. The singer's heart is no longer theirs. They gave it to this unnamed traitor, who immediately turned around and gave it to some unknown party. The singer's heart is no longer in their possession. (My guess is that it's somewhere on the black market.) 

So, I'm sorry, but you cannot give it to someone special. It is no longer yours to give. The only way to save yourself from tears is to put together a squad of brokenhearted action heroes and go on a search-and-rescue mission for this heart of yours. 

15 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

The song "Last Christmas" bothers me for a number of reasons (it's repetitive and irritating, it's on every station, every artist known to man has covered it and it's STILL ANNOYING) but I've hit on another reason, this one involving the chorus: 

Note the second line: The very next day, you gave it away. Not you gave it back or you left it cold in the snow or something similar. No, you gave it away. The singer's heart is no longer theirs. They gave it to this unnamed traitor, who immediately turned around and gave it to some unknown party. The singer's heart is no longer in their possession. (My guess is that it's somewhere on the black market.) 

So, I'm sorry, but you cannot give it to someone special. It is no longer yours to give. The only way to save yourself from tears is to put together a squad of brokenhearted action heroes and go on a search-and-rescue mission for this heart of yours. 

a368fd3.jpg?width=169&height=301

Relevant meme.

I was watching a Patrick H Willems video about shared universes.

He discussed how more shared universes should be less like the MCU and only hint at a greater universe, with the occasional reference or character appearance.

The whole time I was shouting "THE COSMERE! THE COSMERE! THE COSMERE! THE COSMERE! THE COSMERE!"

I never thought of myself as "old" but I had a experience the other day that caused me to reevaluate that assertion. Talking to someone (around 18 yrs old) about The Oregon Trail and describing it as being on a floppy disc. He looks at me with a puzzled expression and asks, "What's a floppy disk?"

13 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

My biggest question is why did they give the heart away? Hearts are worth a lot of money. The traitor Twi mentioned missed out on a legitimate business opportunity.

11 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

My biggest question is why did they give the heart away? Hearts are worth a lot of money. The traitor Twi mentioned missed out on a legitimate business opportunity.

Maybe this traitor planned to do that, but they were already on law enforcement's radar. Before they could list the heart on the black market, they got a tip that doing so would bring a dozen government agents crashing in, and so they simply fobbed it off on the nearest person they could find, cursing the whole while about all the money they were losing. 

6 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Maybe this traitor planned to do that, but they were already on law enforcement's radar. Before they could list the heart on the black market, they got a tip that doing so would bring a dozen government agents crashing in, and so they simply fobbed it off on the nearest person they could find, cursing the whole while about all the money they were losing. 

Perhaps the original owner of the heart was the one who gave the government the tip, and the song is actually about an FBI sting operation.

55 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

Perhaps the original owner of the heart was the one who gave the government the tip, and the song is actually about an FBI sting operation.

So what about the singer's original heart? Is the heart that was stolen actually a counterfeit, perhaps implanted with a tracking chip so the FBI can monitor its movements and take down the entire heart market in one fell swoop? 

2 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

So what about the singer's original heart? Is the heart that was stolen actually a counterfeit, perhaps implanted with a tracking chip so the FBI can monitor its movements and take down the entire heart market in one fell swoop? 

Obviously the heart is actually an incredibly advanced AI that will hack into its owner’s phone and then trigger last Christmas to play on loop until they turn themselves in. It’s a vicious cycle

9 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

Obviously the heart is actually an incredibly advanced AI that will hack into its owner’s phone and then trigger last Christmas to play on loop until they turn themselves in. It’s a vicious cycle

Of all the sting operations, I have a feeling this will be the most effective. 

3 hours ago, Ooktapus The Fierce said:

I have Skyward. I'm prologue + a chapter in. And I'm on my computer refreshing Facebook waiting for nothing to happen.

Why must I be like this?

Don't know, but stop that refreshing and read the book! It's awesome! Read it! :P

Gotten a couple items from Black Friday deals.

Got both Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey for about$25-$30 each which is good considering how new Odyssey is.

Also found by chance the BBC miniseries of Hitcherhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Barnes & Noble had Fire & Blood for 40% off for members and if you buy it you get a Pop of Georgie himself half off so I got a great deal here, especially considering it's not even a week old book.

On 11/25/2018 at 7:28 AM, Ammanas said:

I never thought of myself as "old" but I had a experience the other day that caused me to reevaluate that assertion. Talking to someone (around 18 yrs old) about The Oregon Trail and describing it as being on a floppy disc. He looks at me with a puzzled expression and asks, "What's a floppy disk?"

Okay, that’s just weird. I’m 17 and I still know what a floppy disk is.

Recently my sister did a DNA heritage test, this wasn't 23&me so don't know how good the place is.

Before telling you the results I'll put the ones we know about: On my dad's side we know it's British but nothing else. On my mom's side it's English, Scottish, Irish and German (this ones tricky since it's a region that's part of France today)

Heres what her results said: British & Irish ~40% (she was surprised it was that large but in the breakdown it only showed England) followed by ~20% Scandinavian (this makes sense when you remember Viking and British history so I'm not that surprised), Western European (I don't remember the percentage but it was pretty big. We think this corresponds with the French/German side though it didn't break down by region), and with the surprise ones of ~9% Balkan (I could be remembering the percentage wrong but I know it was less than 20%) and 2.5% Jewish. The Jewish I guess makes sense since a majority of Europeans dallied a little with Jews at some point and with the percentage its a distant relative  while the Balkan one the percentage means that, to me and my sister, a great grandparent was either from that region or descended from the people there.

If you TL;DR that means we thought it was English, Irish, Scottish and French/German but the test says British (specifically English), Broadly Western Europe (this excludes the British Isles), Scandinavian, Balkan and Jewish.

11 hours ago, Draginon said:

and 2.5% Jewish.

*sighs* Sorry in advance about this mini-rant. My Jew-ness begs to speak up and won't hush. The "Jewish" percentage always bugs me. You can't say Jewish as a race and put it in a percentage since it's a religion. You either are Jewish or you aren't - meaning your mother was Jewish. There is no "I'm half Jewish" or "I'm a quarter Jewish" since that's just how it is. And saying Jewish isn't descriptive at all. Jews have been almost everywhere and are extremely varied. Some are almost completely European and others African. Saying "I'm x% Jewish" literally means nothing.

14 minutes ago, Ookla the [your choice] said:

*sighs* Sorry in advance about this mini-rant. My Jew-ness begs to speak up and won't hush. The "Jewish" percentage always bugs me. You can't say Jewish as a race and put it in a percentage since it's a religion. You either are Jewish or you aren't - meaning your mother was Jewish. There is no "I'm half Jewish" or "I'm a quarter Jewish" since that's just how it is. And saying Jewish isn't descriptive at all. Jews have been almost everywhere and are extremely varied. Some are almost completely European and others African. Saying "I'm x% Jewish" literally means nothing.

The reason that something like this can happen is because Jewish is considered both an ethnicity and a religion.  The name Jew originated because Jew’s trace their ancestry back to the tribe of Judah, correct? Therefore if one has some of this ancestry one can be a percentage ethnically Jewish without being religiously Jewish. This is at least what I have learned, and I might be completely wrong or using the wrong terms, but as far as I am aware this is why people can be 2.5% Jewish.

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Skeptical said:

The reason that something like this can happen is because Jewish is considered both an ethnicity and a religion.  The name Jew originated because Jew’s trace their ancestry back to the tribe of Judah, correct? Therefore if one has some of this ancestry one can be a percentage ethnically Jewish without being religiously Jewish. This is at least what I have learned, and I might be completely wrong or using the wrong terms, but as far as I am aware this is why people can be 2.5% Jewish.

Judah, Benjamin, Levi, and some even trace to some others. So that is technically true, but since the two are referred to under the same word sometimes the two get confused and combined into one.