Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

I've got a few more birb photos to share :D

American Avocets (2 photos):

Spoiler

IMG_4700_Avocet_Crop.thumb.jpg.549ce7d1e640bb1faba596c4dedb23ea.jpg

These guys are in their nonbreeding (winter) colors; during the summer their heads and necks are a lovely cinnamon-tan color.

IMG_4748_Avocets_Crop.thumb.jpg.60d06f0b6268be6fc814abca24aa9669.jpg

Eared Grebes (1 photo):

Spoiler

5a06a43cbe65f_IMG_4732_Eared_Grebes_Crop_Contrast.thumb.jpg.f683c1f60274a576c967c2e2bc3a095d.jpg

See how chubby they are? These little guys are trying to store up as much fat as possible before they have to make a long migration south to their winter home.

I'm on a bit of a Star Wars kick lately

IMG_1193.thumb.JPG.f8aa298d68ea8cba0bf1629e703bdf14.JPG

Had a coupon so I was going to grab one Star Wars and ended up grabbing three of them. Splinter of the Mind's Eye was one I was hoping to grab and did indeed find it. The one titled The Rise of the Empire is actually a collection featuring A New Dawn, Tarkin and three exclusive short stories. I mainly got it just because of the short stories since they aren't available anywhere else. I grabbed the Leia book because of Carrie herself. I got Buffy Season 8 Volume 1 since I love the show and I wanted to get a comic, whether it was Buffy, Power Rangers or Star Wars, and decided to get started on Buffy since they're on Season 11 now and I need to catch up. It's amazing how much the hardcover comic collections cost. One of the Star Wars collections cost $50 which contains three mini series (Leia, Chewie and Lando) and I had put it back on the shelf immediately when I saw that price!

The pastry in the picture is a slice of crumb cake from Carlos Bakery from the mall.

After getting these and getting our Sprint bill figured out at the store, me and my mom went to the Barnes & Noble Kitchen. It had only opened on Friday so we were lucky to have gotten there. The food there was delicious and done very well in appearance. They also have a reasonable sized book department that I liked since half of a regular Barnes & Noble these days seems to be dedicated to toys (Lego, Funko, S. H. Figurarts, puzzles) and the media section (music, vinyl, DVD)

10 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

So I just got back from Justice League. Opinions? 

It was all right. Not great. Not awful. EXCEPT THE FREAKING CGI FIELD OF CORRNNN AGHHHH

Wonder woman and Flash, and also Aquaman, were definetly highlights. Batman, still just is meh. Cyborg... I guess he's cool?

Anyway that's my opinion. 

Why was it necessary to CGI corn? What they can't find somewhere to actually film that?

49 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Why was it necessary to CGI corn? What they can't find somewhere to actually film that?

Right?! Like anywhere within a 300 mile radius of Omaha?

New thought :

Unless, of course, they destroyed said field... 

Edited by AngelEy3

1 hour ago, Slowswift said:

Question for people: Switch or 3DS?

Depends on what you want. 3DS is cheaper, has shorter games and a smaller screen, but is more portable and has (depending on the version) decent 3D effects. Switch is a more pricey, but with longer games and is more comfortable to play for longer periods. 

17 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Little did they know that corn does not exist...

My experiences tell me otherwise. :P

6 hours ago, Delightful said:

Right? Its all an illuminati alien plot!

Oh, you darling non-Midwesterners and your lack of experience. You've never had the joy of getting lost in a corn maze!

1 hour ago, Kaymyth said:

My experiences tell me otherwise. :P

Oh, you darling non-Midwesterners and your lack of experience. You've never had the joy of getting lost in a corn maze!

What part of the Midwest are you from? I spent a couple of years in south central Illinois and loved the people and culture I hope to be able to move back to the Midwest  (Nebraska this time) next summer.

14 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

What part of the Midwest are you from? I spent a couple of years in south central Illinois and loved the people and culture I hope to be able to move back to the Midwest  (Nebraska this time) next summer.

I'm on the Kansas side of the Kansas City metro area. Just a 3-hour shot down I-29 from Omaha.

21 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

Depends on what you want. 3DS is cheaper, has shorter games and a smaller screen, but is more portable and has (depending on the version) decent 3D effects. Switch is a more pricey, but with longer games and is more comfortable to play for longer periods. 

I don't necessarily need front-pocket portability, but that could be nice. Indifferent towards 3D, but seems interesting. I don't know that I care about game length, but comfortable for long playing periods is nice.

20 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Nintendo is currently awful, but if you must, DS because that has  Monster Hunter. 

Dare I ask what makes them awful?

Edited by Slowswift

7 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Dare I ask what makes them awful?

I don't know, do you:P

It's very bland. The Switch does not offer a whole lot of exciting content you can't get anywhere else  (Mario Odyssey being the once exception). All the other good stuff is either on other systems in a better graphical form or its a lesser version of a better game. (Legend of Zelda on this system is just an inferior Monster Hunter ;)) 

Because of that (and because the new Monster Hunter won't be on it/ would be terrible on it) I can't justify paying full price for a gimmicky nostalgia machine. 

TL;DR It doesn't have Monster Hunter. 

Birthday was yesterday and I spent it very quiet. Because I did the signing as an early birthday thing I just wanted to relax. All I did was finish reading Knights of Crystallia, play a little Overlord (a gift from my sister and the script was written by Terry Pratchett's daughter) and received the other package from my sister (a twin Pop featuring Rita Repulsa and Zordon in their ranger outfits from the Power Rangers movie). I did want to start reading WOK but I started getting a migraine and took a nap. Woke up around 10 to find a missed call from my sister but I still wasn't feeling well so I went straight to bed.

18 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

A friend of mine posted this picture elsewhere.  I am both horrified and strangely intrigued what it is like.:ph34r:

FB_IMG_1511322402344.jpg

My thought processes upon seeing this:

1. Hey, that looks really good --
  2. -- wait. Is that a pizza? 
  3. ...I want one. :mellow: 
Edited by Slowswift
Although it looks nice as it is, I will say that flipping the pizza upside down (toppings facing inward) would probably make it easier to eat.