Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

Been looking up the Star Wars Legends line, want to read the old continuity, and all I can say is "egads Disney is pretty inconsistent!" They seem to be picking titles at random since they have a good number released but some are series that are incomplete. They might have the second book of a trilogy but not the other two or don't have the whole of a series released but have random ones out.

Pictures of the finished Pokémon 

Spoiler

IMG_1191.thumb.JPG.84e0e62130df750a7f1f26f356b6745b.JPGIMG_1192.thumb.JPG.072da1a78810df2638acfc9dc3432ef8.JPG

My thoughts: They're as accurate as one can get with Lego bricks. I like that they have a little themed environment instead of it just being the Pokémon. I could feel the 'cheapness' of the Mega Construx bricks compared to Lego bricks since they felt too smooth. Did like that there was more variety in bricks (Wartortle has a double sided stud along with a 1x1 tile with a stud head on the side to overlap the brick beneath). The bricks were also sharper since the spot where they pour the plastic isn't as clean as what Lego does.

Overall I like the builds, but I don't think I'll get the themes outside of Pokémon just because of  how the bricks felt.

16 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Fall Daylight Savings is like Christmas for adults. A extra hour of sleep!

Unless you work a night shift (like I used to a few years ago). Then it is awful. 

I work nights... Not looking forward to this at all. 8 out of the last 10 years I've worked it in the fall and I've only had the spring reprieve 2x in the same window. 

So I have returned from my travels with an idea of what I wish to do with my life (travel more) and have decided to re-train to be an engineer to further help that goal....but lo and behold, it is so storming hard due to a plethora of reasons. Australia, take me back please :unsure:

9 hours ago, ParadoxicalZen said:

So I have returned from my travels with an idea of what I wish to do with my life (travel more) and have decided to re-train to be an engineer to further help that goal....but lo and behold, it is so storming hard due to a plethora of reasons. Australia, take me back please :unsure:

What kind of engineer? What are you finding difficult?

21 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

What kind of engineer? What are you finding difficult?

Mechanical/Electrical. So, I return to the UK just after the College term starts and miss the start date for the course. Then the Job Centre tells me i'm unlikely to get an apprenticeship due to my age being just over the age range they give apprenticeships out to (18-24). Who knew? So my only option at the moment is to find some entry level work placement that trains you on the job, however...the employment system moves a lot slower here than what i've become accustomed to* in Australia, especially* as a backpacker. So i'm disheartened, but i'm not letting that stop me :D

EDIT: damnation my English was hella terribad yesters

Edited by ParadoxicalZen

10 hours ago, ParadoxicalZen said:

Mechanical/Electrical. So, I return to the UK just after the College term starts and miss the start date for the course. Then the Job Centre tells me i'm unlikely to get an apprenticeship due to my age being just over the age range they give apprenticeships out to (18-24). Who knew? So my only option at the moment is to find some entry level work placement that trains you on the job, however...the employment system moves a lot slower here than what i've become accustomed to* in Australia, especially* as a backpacker. So i'm disheartened, but i'm not letting that stop me :D

EDIT: damnation my English was hella terribad yesters

There's a chance you might find better luck here in the states if you can come over.

Some of you who frequent the Discord may have already seen this photo, but I'm very proud of it and I know not everyone is in Discord, so here it is again. :D

Common Raven at the Great Salt Lake. (These birds are way too cool to deserve to have "common" in their name, IMO.)

Spoiler

IMG_5201_Raven_Crop_(C).thumb.jpg.1f4b64c120ecddabe7ee90f4be7d5857.jpg

@AngelEy3 Since you love ravens and crows. ^_^

@Sunchicken Nice! Really cool that you were able to get such a clear photo while it was in flight. As an aside to how much I enjoy crows and ravens and the like, I've been working on The Black Company series for a few weeks now, and there has been no shortage of carrion birds.

I've been thinking on getting back into photography. I used to dabble in school when I had access to a dark room, but modern digital tech sort of has me wanting back in. Especially now that I have a little more free time to do something like that.

Any suggestions on where to start lookig if I want to find a decent entry level camera? My phone takes really good photos, but not at any sort of distance. 

@AngelEy3 I know zip about film photography and darkrooms, but in terms of digital cameras, I've been very pleased with a broad category called "bridge cameras." Pretty much all my photos I post here were taken with bridge cameras. (Canon S3IS up until February 2017 and more recently a Canon S5IS) They're basically hybrids between small, inexpensive "point and shoot" cameras and big expensive digital SLRs. Generally they have a decent amount of zoom and many of the features that make SLRs versatile but are more affordable and less hassle to carry around due to weight.

Which camera is best for you will depend a lot on what you intend to use it for. For me, someone who mostly takes pictures of wildlife, having a good deal of zoom and fast shutter speeds is important because wild animals don't usually just sit and pose conveniently (and I don't use a tripod, so I have to consider my inability to hold the camera totally still). If you plan to focus more on people or scenery, zoom won't be as big of a consideration in picking a camera.

As a general rule, Nikon and Canon are widely considered the "heavy hitter" high-quality brands of digital photography, sort of like Marvel and DC are for comic books. They're not the only ones that make good equipment, but they are pretty reliable.

You mentioned you dabbled in film photography in school, so I'm guessing you're familiar with some camera/photography terminology like F-stop, aperture, depth of field, ISO, etc?

@Sunchicken @Darkness_ I took a few classes in HS and had a lot of fun with it, but that was almost 15 years ago now. I remember some of the terms, but I'd have to brush up on it before I got the hang of it all again. I do have space for a dark room, but no idea what the cost would be these days for chemicals and film. I'll probably do quite a bit of research in both directions before I get started.