Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

2 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

Hey guys, haven't been hanging around here for a while, but I remember someone saying at some point on one of these threads that they'd be interested in seeing a spotify playlist I made of music I like.

I got around to making one: 

This is a very good playlist. I quite like this.

All right, I tried to find the Night Vale thread, but was unsuccessful, so I'm putting this here.

For anyone in the Utah or Salt Lake City area, apparently the King's English Bookshop is hosting Night Vale Live, as announced in a recent email:

595d5ce090d3f_NightValeLive.jpg.6dda2cd575b597706b9a3281d7d1e5a3.jpg

The Enter here link leads to this Google doc: Entry form

The Purchase tickets here link leads here: Tickets

@bleeder You're the only Night Vale fan I can think of off the top of my head, but I know there are others here on the Shard... Maybe you could help get the word out to them?

Edited by Sunbird

I saw it a few months back, and y'all, lemme tell you: it's fantastic. If you're into the podcast at all, I highly recommend attending (and if you're not, you should give it a try). It's a standalone story, so it requires no knowledge of current events, and it's very funny and surprisingly deep. There are also some minor audience participation bits that are rather interesting. If you get the chance to see it, please do.

On 5 July 2017 at 7:00 AM, Silverblade5 said:

So ... I live in a state that's well known for summer wildfires. Setting off small fireworks = fun. Seeing a mortar go off right above my house = concern.

Last time I checked mortars are serious weapons????

54 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Last time I checked mortars are serious weapons????

Yeah, and what of it? You've never fired a mortar to top those little fireworks going off?

Also, I highly recomend ground-to-air cluster missiles. Those make really nice explosions.

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

But it's 'Murica, what did you expect? :P They probably also use some napalm to make BBQ :D

Well I'm not going to claim that we Don't use napalm for our BBQ.....

Also, Mestiv, your signature seems to have progressively decided to stop figuring out where I live. It got pretty close once, but then it got less and less accurate until now it just says the US. What's with that?

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Yeah, and what of it? You've never fired a mortar to top those little fireworks going off?

Also, I highly recomend ground-to-air cluster missiles. Those make really nice explosions.

Ive never fired fireworks. I'm not American.

......were you in the military?

2 hours ago, Left said:

Also, Mestiv, your signature seems to have progressively decided to stop figuring out where I live. It got pretty close once, but then it got less and less accurate until now it just says the US. What's with that?

I guess the database I used got out of date. I downloaded a new version, maybe now it'll be better?

Re: fireworks, I saw a news story about a BYU professor whose house caught on fire and sustained serious damage after a burning firework landed on his roof. It burned out his whole upstairs office and destroyed tons of valuable research materials. Fireworks are fun, but sometimes people are unbelievably stupid with them.

4 hours ago, Delightful said:

Ive never fired fireworks. I'm not American.

......were you in the military?

No, I'm just kidding :P I don't recall firing fireworks either, it was always somebody else doing it (and here th traditional time to fire fireworks is New Year's Eve and that's pretty much it)

Edited by Oversleep

Mortars are the most fun, because they're the ones you light off one at a time out of a firing tube, as opposed to a box that has a single fuse that will split and fire off a lot of smaller fireworks. When I was in charge of putting together the show last year for my camp (we always do a show for our campers on July 4th), I blew like half the budget on mortars, and only picked up a few boxes. Boxes can be more flashy, so it's good to have some for a finale, but I'd rather have six larger shots than 19 tiny ones real quick in a row. (Or, heavens forbid, a fountain.)

4 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Mortars are the most fun, because they're the ones you light off one at a time out of a firing tube, as opposed to a box that has a single fuse that will split and fire off a lot of smaller fireworks. When I was in charge of putting together the show last year for my camp (we always do a show for our campers on July 4th), I blew like half the budget on mortars, and only picked up a few boxes. Boxes can be more flashy, so it's good to have some for a finale, but I'd rather have six larger shots than 19 tiny ones real quick in a row. (Or, heavens forbid, a fountain.)

You see, I prefer starting small, and then working my way up to the big stuff. 

12 hours ago, Mestiv said:

I guess the database I used got out of date. I downloaded a new version, maybe now it'll be better?

It always gets me correctly when I'm at home. But when I'm at work, it's hopelessly lost. ^_^

Storm it! I'm grown man and yet it always brings tears to my eyes when reading Way of Kings when

Spoiler

Dalinar has come to terms with his death and everyone around him after Sadeas' betrayer, and is without hope, when he sees Kaladin and Bridge 4 rushing forward to save them...gets me every time.

6 hours ago, Delightful said:

Why.....why is it legal for regular folk to play with fireworks? Or to buy them? That stuff is dangerous!!!

*Health and Safety Aussie freaking out here*

You have to be 18, and the really cool stuff are still off limits. 

Besides, it's fun for you and a friend to each grab a Roman candle and have a Wizard's duel!

6 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Storm it! I'm grown man and yet it always brings tears to my eyes when reading Way of Kings when

Reveal hidden contents

There are a ton of parts that bring me tears of joy in Sanderson's books, and the thing with it, it's even worse for me on rereads even though I already know what's going to happen...