Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

‘That that had that that ten times but had had had had only thrice. Increased had had usage had had to be overlooked, but not if the number exceeds that that that usage.’
‘Take the first had had and that that in the book by way of example,’ said Lady Cavendish. ‘You would have thought that that first had had had had good occasion to be seen as had, had you not? Had had had approval but had had had not; equally it is true to say that that that that had had approval but that that other that that had not.’ 
‘So the problem with that other that that was that…?’
‘That that other-other that that had had approval.’ 

Hah, ya'll think English is tough?
Let me introduce you to The Story of Mr Shi Eating Lions: (Mandarin Chinese)
"“Shí Shì Shī Shì Shī Shì, Shì Shī, Shì Shí Shí Shī.Shì Shí Shí Shì Shì Shì Shī. Shí Shí, Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí, Shì Shī Shì Shì Shì. Shì Shì Shì Shí Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì, Shǐ Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī Shī, Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shì, Shì Shǐ Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī. Shí Shí, Shǐ Shí Shì Shí Shī, Shí Shí Shí Shī Shī. Shì Shì Shì Shì.”"
Meaning: 
"In a stone den was a poet Mr Shi, who loved eating lions and determined to eat ten. He often went to the market to watch lions. One day at ten o'clock, ten lions just arrived at the market. At that time, Mr Shi just arrived at the market too. Seeing those ten lions, he killed them with arrows. He brought the corpses of the ten lions to the stone den. The stone den was damp. He had his servant wiping it. The stone den being wiped, only then did he try to eat those ten lions. While eating, he just realised that those ten lions were in fact ten stone-lion corpses. Try to explain this."

Pronounciation: 

4 hours ago, Erunion said:

Hah, ya'll think English is tough?
Let me introduce you to The Story of Mr Shi Eating Lions: (Mandarin Chinese)
"“Shí Shì Shī Shì Shī Shì, Shì Shī, Shì Shí Shí Shī.Shì Shí Shí Shì Shì Shì Shī. Shí Shí, Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí, Shì Shī Shì Shì Shì. Shì Shì Shì Shí Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì, Shǐ Shì Shí Shī Shì Shì. Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī Shī, Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shī, Shì Shǐ Shì Shì Shí Shì. Shí Shì Shì, Shì Shǐ Shì Shí Shì Shí Shī. Shí Shí, Shǐ Shí Shì Shí Shī, Shí Shí Shí Shī Shī. Shì Shì Shì Shì.”"
Meaning: 
"In a stone den was a poet Mr Shi, who loved eating lions and determined to eat ten. He often went to the market to watch lions. One day at ten o'clock, ten lions just arrived at the market. At that time, Mr Shi just arrived at the market too. Seeing those ten lions, he killed them with arrows. He brought the corpses of the ten lions to the stone den. The stone den was damp. He had his servant wiping it. The stone den being wiped, only then did he try to eat those ten lions. While eating, he just realised that those ten lions were in fact ten stone-lion corpses. Try to explain this."

Pronounciation: 

I learned this when I lived in Beijing. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGBwpL3F9HbaKsoVvgpbl

So...today I was talking to someone who read Sanderson books, (but didn't know about the cosmere), and I asked him if he had read the later Mistborn books. He told me that he hadn't, because he won't read any non-traditional style fantasy.
And that just...kinda got me thinking. I mean, it's okay to have preferences, but I don't think that people should just not read an entire genre because they don't think they'll like it. Come on, if he enjoyed Mistborn 1 he'd probably enjoy the later ones. So I just think that people should be more willing to try things than they are. What do you lot think?

2 hours ago, Curious Anamaximder said:

Little thing about introverts

As an introvert, I will say that I agree for the most part. Exceptions, 

1: I kinda hate people. 

2: I hate having to go in public (see exception 1)

3: I am kinda weird. 

56 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

So...today I was talking to someone who read Sanderson books, (but didn't know about the cosmere), and I asked him if he had read the later Mistborn books. He told me that he hadn't, because he won't read any non-traditional style fantasy.
And that just...kinda got me thinking. I mean, it's okay to have preferences, but I don't think that people should just not read an entire genre because they don't think they'll like it. Come on, if he enjoyed Mistborn 1 he'd probably enjoy the later ones. So I just think that people should be more willing to try things than they are. What do you lot think?

You can get me ranting on this point. There are lots of good stuff out there that you will not find unless you broaden your horizon. 

But people do not because of the Fandom Condition. Essentially, when you become a fan of something, you remain almost completely devoted to that fandom and things like it. Take this site, for example: a lot of times, people will ask for recommendations of books "like Brandon's". 

This has a couple effects. You get an exclusionary culture in the sense that there is now a specific canon of books to be read in order to interact with members of the Fandom. Second, you reinforce the narrowness of your perspective so that you can only understand/like things of the fandom. Anything with a different viewpoint, style or genre becomes difficult to get into. And because we like to reinforce our biases, we claim this is because all this other "stuff" is inferior to the product of our fandom. That's why we end up with sincere, absurd statements like,  "Harry Potter IS the best series of books evah!"

1 hour ago, A Budgie said:

I hate it when people are like this. I mean, yes, sometimes you may not like something solely because it's just not a genre/style of book that you like. Most of the time, however, in my experience, when I try books that I'm not sure about because they're a bit out of my comfort zone, I still end up liking them a lot. 

For example, my little brother usually only likes to read action-packed, sci-fi books. He was adamant that he wouldn't like the first Mistborn trilogy because he doesn't really like fantasy, or slower paced books, or the politicking that goes on in books like Mistborn. But, once he started reading it, he absolutely loved it and couldn't put the book down. 

Like @Orlion On a Cob said so well, this mindset comes about because we grow comfortable with certain things, and us humans really do no that like change, so we are afraid to branch out and try new things.

11 hours ago, A Budgie said:

@Orlion On a Cob fandoms can also mean something else: if a book or something has a reputation for having a terrifying fandom, they might not want to get into it since they'll be potentially associated with all of that.

We - as the Sanderson fandom - are quite an exception with how everyone is so nice and civilised. Some fandoms I know of deserve nothing but a rain of napalm. Downpour of napalm. Flood-causing rain of napalm.

For example, take Steven Universe fandom. Do I like the cartoon? Yes. Would I ban 90% of the fandom from Internet? Yes.

Edited by Oversleep

4 hours ago, Oversleep said:

We - as the Sanderson fandom - are quite an exception with how everyone is so nice and civilised. Some fandoms I know of deserve nothing but a rain of napalm. Downpour of napalm. Flood-causing rain of napalm.

For example, take Steven Universe fandom. Do I like the cartoon? Yes. Would I ban 90% of the fandom from Internet? Yes.

One of the reasons I lurked here for so long before actively taking part in things was that I've been a child of the internet since the early 90's. Watching fandoms, and internet cultures develop can be disturbing. 

The Shard is such an exception... Most fandoms, even good ones, have some very unsavory sides to them. I'm sure that those things probably exist for Brandon's work too, but the fact that it's not at all visible here makes things feel... Like a bastion of sanity drifting through the cesspool of the intartubes. 

12 hours ago, Oversleep said:

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

One of the reasons I lurked here for so long before actively taking part in things was that I've been a child of the internet since the early 90's. Watching fandoms, and internet cultures develop can be disturbing. 

The Shard is such an exception... Most fandoms, even good ones, have some very unsavory sides to them. I'm sure that those things probably exist for Brandon's work too, but the fact that it's not at all visible here makes things feel... Like a bastion of sanity drifting through the cesspool of the intartubes. 

I'd think that the cosmere stuff would be on tumblr. I mean, most of that sort of thing- the unsavory side of a fandom- is focused there. I've been on there a few times to look at fanart and most of it is pretty normal, some of it pretty damnation amazing, but I've seen one or two more questionable things. Less then I would have expected though, funnily enough. I've heard stories of authors trying to find some nice fanart of some of their characters and really not liking what they saw.
On the shard though, everyone is really nice. I mean, there was an entire thread about what seperates us as a fandom, and one of the major points was that most people are really nice, there aren't really many actual flame wars, etc. 

Has anyone tried the new Vidangel? I'm not sure how I feel about the new model, and I don't want to try the free trial while they're still going through debugging. One major question I have is can you use one vidangel account on two different netflix accounts. 

I thought about putting this in tech discussion, but I figure the people who might know are more likely to see it on this thread than other places. 

17 hours ago, Briar King said:

Has anyone talked to Twi off site lately? She hasn't posted in quite awhile.

15 hours ago, Sunbird said:

@Briar King I haven't, but she said in Discord a while back that she was going to take a hiatus from the Shard. @Kaymyth is friends with her on Facebook, though, and I assume she would inform us if anything bad happened to Twi.

Yep. I was just Facechatting with her earlier today, in fact. She is on hiatus, but I imagine that she might respond to PMs. Perhaps if you sent her a bribe of cute pug pictures...

Nevermind, she has notifications turned off, so she won't get an email telling her people are sending her messages.

If anyone really needs to get a message through to her, I am willing to pass stuff along.