[OB] Creature in the 'Storms

Tarion

Hey all,

Since they have now been officially published, I've finally got around to reading Dalinar's flashbacks. And other than thinking they're fantastic (Dalinar is both a brute and the seed of the Dalinar we see in tWoK/WoR, which is really impressive) the thing that stuck out to me most was a creature seen during a Highstorm.

"An explosive burst of wind drove him against the wall, and he stumbled, then stepped backward, driven by instincts he couldn't define. A large boulder slammed into the wall, then bounced away. Dalinar glanced and saw something luminous in the distance: a gargantuan figure that moved on spindly glowing legs.

Darlinar stepped back up to the door into the feast hall, gave the whatever-it-was a rude gesture, then pushed open the door"

So, it turns out, there really are creatures out in the Highstorms. From the description, I've no idea what it is. It doesn't seem to match any of the Greatshells we've seen (None of them have been described as "spindly") and it glows, which implies active stormlight investiture (I'm blanking - Have we seen anything with a gemheart in a highstorm before?)

2 hours ago, Tarion said:

Hey all,

Since they have now been officially published, I've finally got around to reading Dalinar's flashbacks. And other than thinking they're fantastic (Dalinar is both a brute and the seed of the Dalinar we see in tWoK/WoR, which is really impressive) the thing that stuck out to me most was a creature seen during a Highstorm.

"An explosive burst of wind drove him against the wall, and he stumbled, then stepped backward, driven by instincts he couldn't define. A large boulder slammed into the wall, then bounced away. Dalinar glanced and saw something luminous in the distance: a gargantuan figure that moved on spindly glowing legs.

Darlinar stepped back up to the door into the feast hall, gave the whatever-it-was a rude gesture, then pushed open the door"

So, it turns out, there really are creatures out in the Highstorms. From the description, I've no idea what it is. It doesn't seem to match any of the Greatshells we've seen (None of them have been described as "spindly") and it glows, which implies active stormlight investiture (I'm blanking - Have we seen anything with a gemheart in a highstorm before?)

Not a gemheart, per se, but it resembles the gargantuan figure that later features in one of Dalinar's highstorm visions.  I forget when exactly it was.  

57 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

Not a gemheart, per se, but it resembles the gargantuan figure that later features in one of Dalinar's highstorm visions.  I forget when exactly it was.  

Huh, I've completely forgotten about that. I'm currently working through tWoK again in audiobook, so I'll keep an eye out for that.

• 1 year later...

I'm one that believes they are the Unmade (or maybe even something to do with the Heralds, but then I also believe that the Heralds and Unmade are nearly one and the same anyways), but I disagree with it being Re-Shepir. She was trapped in Urithiru, wasn't she?

Doesn't sound like any of the unmade... As splinters of Odium they should be more spren-like, they could be from one of the mad Heralds, but we haven't seen Heralds do anything interesting yet. Maybe thunderclasts are created from greatshell spren that have been corrupted by Sja Anat using the greatshells as templates

Edited by Athanat0s
Left it incomplete

• Chaos locked this topic