Plate or Blade

jrh1524

If you magically found yourself in Dalinar's army, and you had a choice, would you rather have shard plate or a shard blade?  I would rather have the plate as it gives you super strength and you could probably get by with carrying a big hammer some something similar.  The only way I'd consider picking the shard plate is if I was an expert swordsman. 

Edited by jrh1524

12 minutes ago, jrh1524 said:

If you magically found yourself in Dalinar's army, and you had a choice, would you rather have shard plate or a shard blade?  I would rather have the plate as it gives you super strength and you could probably get by with carrying a big hammer some something similar.  The only way I'd consider picking the shard plate is if I was an expert swordsman. 

In the army Plate definitely, just the survival chance while wearing it would be amazing...

But if I could get one in the real world that's a different story...In the real world Shardplate would just be big and bulky, I couldn't really do much...it would be hard to do anything with it, plus just the annoyance of putting it on and taking it off is a no for the strength it would grant me. But in the real world with a shardblade I could carry it around with me everywhere, save people from dangerous situations, and just generally be awesome cause I can summon a sword from nowhere.

28 minutes ago, jrh1524 said:

I would have to disagree and go with a sword. You can't ever lose it unless you think to loose it. Also, I like the idea of training to increase my own body's strength rather than carrying around a bulky suit that you can't have with you at all times.

On Roshar and randomly in Dalinar's army? Plate. You get status from having either and the armor would seem to offer more benefits, what with the incredible protection, enhanced strength and speed. I'm under no illusions about how competent I'd be with a sword so if I'm going to paint a target on my back by having shards, I'd rather it be the one that gives me a fighting chance.

Real-world though, definitely the Blade. You can carry it anywhere and it doubles as a tool even if the lack of Plate means you can't cut up boulders and hurl them away on your own, But mainly because it's easier to carry around than Shardplate would be. And you don't have to worry about running out of Stormlight. xD

yeah if i was magically teleported to Roshar i wouldnt stay in a random army 

iwould travel around go see shinovar or smt 

so i think that tha blade is by far the best choice 

the armor is too bulky , but if i was to stay with Dalinar the armor is better 

I don't know if this is breaking the rules, but I'd do the blade and go around trying to exemplify the attributes of any of the orders of the Knight's Radiant. That way I have a shardblade no matter what, and something to tell me if I actually attracted a spren to bond with. Although the screams might be painful...

I'm all down for a living SprenBlade without having Plate, like where most of our proto-Radiants are at this point. I've dulled down enough of my favorite pocket knives in my life to seriously appreciate one that cuts literally anything, changes shape to suit your needs, and never gets dull. 

Plate. 
I'm a martial artist. I've been fighting half of my life, and have trained with various weapons (including swords). 

As such, I can say this with the authority of experience. No matter how good you are, no matter how long you train, something can always go wrong. It only takes one mistake, one missed nights sleep, one slip on a rock, to end a legend. 
Armour that can stop almost anything? That means you can make mistakes, you can screw up, and you can still survive. You can slip and fall on a rock, and not die. 
I'd pick plate in a heartbeat. It wouldn't even take 10. 

Obviously, in this world, or if I weren't stuck in an army, the flexibility of the blade would be better. And if I could become a proto-radiant with stormlight to heal speed and strengthen, and a blade that molded to my whims? That would clearly be superior. 

3 hours ago, Erunion (The Incorrigible) said:

Plate. 
I'm a martial artist. I've been fighting half of my life, and have trained with various weapons (including swords). 

As such, I can say this with the authority of experience. No matter how good you are, no matter how long you train, something can always go wrong. It only takes one mistake, one missed nights sleep, one slip on a rock, to end a legend. 
Armour that can stop almost anything? That means you can make mistakes, you can screw up, and you can still survive. You can slip and fall on a rock, and not die. 
I'd pick plate in a heartbeat. It wouldn't even take 10. 

Obviously, in this world, or if I weren't stuck in an army, the flexibility of the blade would be better. And if I could become a proto-radiant with stormlight to heal speed and strengthen, and a blade that molded to my whims? That would clearly be superior. 

Ditto, as a martial artist with a decade of training to fight with weapons other than my own body, Plate is infinitely more appealing, especially in the context of Roshar and fighting there. Near impervious armour that strengthens you to the point you can make ten feet vertical leaps and survive forty foot drops with near impunity? And allows one of your punches to toss a muscled human a good ten feet backwards? If you're confident and quick enough, and the armour not too restrictive/bulky to flexibility, a martial artist could turn themselves into the equivalent of a shardhammer, leaping a chasm and laying into enemies for a few minutes before making a tactical retreat, hit and run style over Chasms to avoid getting surrounded and pulled down.

Of course redirection of blows would help preserve the armour somewhat, since Alethi Shardbearers from what we've seen are trained mainly in fighting with their swords, using the imperviousness of the Plate as essentially a full body sheild, taking hits on it that leave it cracked in order to trade a blow that takes out a whole group of attackers.So a martial art with a lot of redirection of blows like Jiu-Jutsu rather than a more block-happy one like Karate would also be a plus.

With a Blade, as Vasher says, a sword is better in some situations, worse in others, and if someone knows what they're doing in fighting a sword bare handed, the (usual) single edge of the Blade and the sheer size of it would make it a liability if someone was able to dodge a swing and get inside of the reach.

A Sprenblade, on the other hand, opens up a whole nother set of possibilities and would be by FAR preferable to either alternative if it could change forms. We've seen it can make spears, staffs, hammers, halberds, swords and shields in near enough any size and shape, and that is an absolute dream for a martial artist, since it helps with the inherant limitations of a specific weapon. An indestructable staff that can block Shardblades would be an absolute godsend for someone with my own training, hehe.

So yeah, it basically depends on your own skills, and if you like fighting with a weapon more than your fists. I can use a plethora of different weapons, but my favourite one is my own body, so unless I had a weapon that can become any other weapon, something that enhances the most versatile one in my arsenal is definitely the one I'd pick. ^-^

22 hours ago, jrh1524 said:

100% shardplate I would paint it jet black and have gold trim. I would go with a massive war hammer and name it death bringer. Going around the battle feild crushing Parshindie skulls with it braking off a peacpeace of their exoskeleton armor  to put on a necklace to wear above my shardplate. 

I'd have to go with the armor. It just gives you room for a learning curve that a sword just doesn't... Honestly, when it comes to the sword, I wander how many people were like man I wander just how sharp this thing actually is and touched their finger to the blade like some people do with a regular knife, only to pull back fingers that were completely dead at the tips. I'm sure there are bound to be a few and I doubt there would be records of it because who wants to admit to being the storming fool that slayed their own fingers...

If I have my actual knowledge I would choose the Plate for ethical reason (also if I actually don't know if it's better to bond a Mind Broken Spren or simply leave it forgotten in some place).

Without this restriction I would choose the Blade, it has a great versality also for someone without a great training. I am not a hot blood guy, fight on defence with a Blade would be probably a safe kind of fight. The Plate often puts yourself in dangerous situation because your support can't actually have your mobolity. Again the Plate needs a quite intense managing both from Stormlight and Gems...I know that on Roshar almost every army has stock of this resources, but I am more about the resources' autonomous tool

Edited by Yata

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2016 at 1:34 PM, jrh1524 said:

In that situation I would also choose Plate, because of the numerous benefits.

But real world it comes down to that kinda choice in some games. Tank and bulky? Or low health and great swiftness/versatility? (I'm kinda matching attack on both, because with the plate you have super strength, blade is essentially a light saber) If you could get yourself up to a physical peak like Szeth than I'd choose blade. But if I was just myself, and the Plate was easy to put on, I would choose Plate.

Overall I would probably do sword in real life because summoning a sword that can cut bullets in half would be freaking awesome. More cool factor than practically.

• Chaos locked this topic