Shqueeves

The most physics breaking thing about Feruchemical iron is that you can construct a perpetuum mobile generating both kinetic energy and Investiture with two Skimmers and a ledger.

It's no longer even this "creating energy from Investiture". It generates both out of nothing.

8 minutes ago, Ookla the Sunrise Watcher said:

The most physics breaking thing about Feruchemical iron is that you can construct a perpetuum mobile generating both kinetic energy and Investiture with two Skimmers and a ledger.

It's no longer even this "creating energy from Investiture". It generates both out of nothing.

Actually the Skimmer-ledger-Skimmer system has an external force who provide the energy, the Scadrial's gravity. It's not energy from nothing

38 minutes ago, Yata said:

Actually the Skimmer-ledger-Skimmer system has an external force who provide the energy, the Scadrial's gravity. It's not energy from nothing

Actually gravity does not provide energy. First energy has to put in to increase the distance between the object and Scadrial. Then gravity makes its thing.

But in my scenario you're not putting in any energy to elevate the paired Skimmer - you're actually gaining energy from that.

33 minutes ago, Yata said:

It is though, because the planet doesn't lose any energy from the exchange.

That said, since Investiture never seems to be "used up", I would say anything that adds energy to the Cosmere by using only Investiture would count as creating energy from nothing.

I don't see how two Skimmers create Investiture though?

• 2 weeks later...

Are there limits to how fast a feruchemist can store an attribute?  If not a full feruchemist could tap steel for speed and store mass with iron to approach the speed of light through conservation of momentum.  My relativity physics isnt great so Im not sure if actual speed of light is attainable, but they could go pretty darn fast.

1 minute ago, GeneralStu said:

Are there limits to how fast a feruchemist can store an attribute?  If not a full feruchemist could tap steel for speed and store mass with iron to approach the speed of light through conservation of momentum.  My relativity physics isnt great so Im not sure if actual speed of light is attainable, but they could go pretty darn fast.

Limits to storing have to do with how much you have to store. (And how much you can store without dying)

ie: You can store 100% of your weight, but only that much at a time, nothing more than that. You cannot do the same with something like strength, as your heart will become to weak to pump itself and you will die.

As for Conservation of momentum to increase speed... increased speed is increased friction force. That is aerodynamics more than it is weight, so you are similarly limited there no matter what.

2 minutes ago, GeneralStu said:

Yes, there is a lower bound to how much you can store, which limits how fast the Feruchemical charge is accumulated. Like, you can't have zero mass (actually the limit seems to be a tiny bit above zero, but we don't know where exactly), and if you store too much health you die. Speed is supposedly especially tricky to store, but we're not sure exactly why.

Mass changing like Feruchemists do isn't something our universe supports, so trying to figure out what would happen in a situation like this is... weird. But no, you would not be able to reach the speed of light, since you'd have to get rid of ALL of your rest mass for that to work. As I stated above, that isn't possible. And in fact, in our universe, anything with zero mass always moves at the speed of light (in vacuum (actually, out of vacuum too, kind of, but it wobbles other charges around it so it looks like it travels slower. physics is weird)), meaning that if a Feruchemist had zero mass, that would make all the particles that made up the person just fly off in random directions at the speed of light. That would not only kill the Feruchemist, but also leave a massive crater.

6 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

All this talk about Feruchemical iron makes me ponder the viability of using weight medallions to simulate mass and create artificial gravity fields on spaceships.

That's probably a bad idea. To simulate anywhere near earth level gravity using mass alone, you need a lot of it. For reference, the earth is roughly 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms. The metalminds would need to be very large, and you run the risk of a black hole if you're using a small enough space. Centrifugal force is a better idea.

5 hours ago, aeromancer said:

That's probably a bad idea. To simulate anywhere near earth level gravity using mass alone, you need a lot of it. For reference, the earth is roughly 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms. The metalminds would need to be very large, and you run the risk of a black hole if you're using a small enough space. Centrifugal force is a better idea.

My instinctive reaction to that is to throw my head back and cackle a full-throated supervillian laugh.  This probably says something profound about my general character as a human being.

11 hours ago, GeneralStu said:

I think it's possible in theory (sure you will break the laws of nature but...happens) but impossible in practice, You will not be able to store Infinite mass in a IronMind....Probably you will fill also an ironmind big as a planet in some seconds.

• 3 months later...
On 27/12/2016 at 10:25 PM, aeromancer said:

Oh, please. Centrifugal force may be the best we lowly muggles can do to approximate gravity, but the cosmere abounds with ways to break physics.

For some reason my immediate thought was very strong but well-targeted iron-pulling. But then I realized I was making the problem way harder than it has to be. Gravitational Surgebinding: Artificial gravity in a can. Just add water.

On 12/19/2016 at 8:00 AM, Oversleep said:

Could you link me to this or explain? 

*an interested soul*

3 hours ago, DocHoliday said:

Could you link me to this or explain? 

*an interested soul*

Simply place two Skimmers at the ledger's side.

Make them Store alternately, their weights will make the ledger move and this motion could be used to generate energy (like we did every day with the engines)

6 hours ago, Yata said:

Simply place two Skimmers at the ledger's side.

Make them Store alternately, their weights will make the ledger move and this motion could be used to generate energy (like we did every day with the engines)

Exactly. You get both energy and Investiture out of nothing.

Just now, Oversleep said:

Exactly. You get both energy and Investiture out of nothing.

Technically it's not really in that way...The Soul drains energy from somewhere (I can't honestly say where) to return to its original status while it's not affected by magic....So "something" spreads powers everytime you performe Feruchemy.

• Chaos locked this topic