55 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I don't understand these two quotes. Odium can win with 17S or with the Village. Odium has absolutely no reason to kill someone for generating discussion - or for not generating discussion. Odium is literally indifferent to anything that doesn't point to someone having a Shard. You're ascribing Eliminator motivations to someone who doesn't have to play that way, and it doesn't make sense; even worse, it may be an unwarranted assumption.

Ditto for the second quote. You're assuming Odium knows alignments or cares about alignments. Odium has no reason to, and if Harambe is Autonomy, then Odium has all the more no reason allow Harambe to be left alive. Doing so simply allows the Shard to pass to an investee, which means Odium has to go through the work of hunting down Autonomy yet again to shatter it.

Sart does raise a good point about Harambe possibly being a Fool-kind of Shard. @Straw, do you think you could clarify if your Shard carried a different win con with it? Otherwise, I think we should just lynch Harambe and be done with it (and I will shift my vote once we get a little closer to the close.) I definitely applaud Elenion trying to open the discussion, though, because there's no reason to just focus on Harambe this cycle. @Sart, you sound like you were in both Devotion PMs. Do you think you could give us a general idea of what was going on in there?

First off, I haven't been in any Devotion PMs. Not sure where you got that idea from.

You do raise a good point about Odium though. He appears to be killing rather indiscriminately, which normally doesn't help the village. I don't think there is any reason for him not to kill. Shards naturally don't stay in people who are inactive. Therefore, Odium is most likely to go after players that are being active. The more active players he kills, the more likely he is to keep Shattering. That's a problem, because it makes him behave like an Eliminator at night. At this point, I'm wondering who won't be evil by the time the game is through. Hoid is still on the run, along with any of his converts. Odium is killing active players, and he can appoint a champion as well. We also have Autonomy and Survival as neutral third-parties. That's at least 5 evil players, along with any of Hoid's conversions. I'm not saying that we should random kill, since that still isn't good odds. However, we need to be careful about role-claiming. Information is going to spread fast this game. If you are holding a Shard, I would be cautious about revealing it. I would also suggest holding on to it for a cycle. If you are a villager, you know you are good. The list Hoid has is out of date, so there is less reason to pass them on. Passing off Shards in a cycle or 2 is a good thing, especially if you think Odium or Hoid knows you have one, but we don't need to do it every cycle.

In other news, I will be going to Texas for New Years, so I won't be as active as I would like. I'll still browse the thread on mobile, but I won't be as talkative.

1 hour ago, Sart said:

First off, I haven't been in any Devotion PMs. Not sure where you got that idea from.

You do raise a good point about Odium though. He appears to be killing rather indiscriminately, which normally doesn't help the village. I don't think there is any reason for him not to kill. Shards naturally don't stay in people who are inactive. Therefore, Odium is most likely to go after players that are being active. The more active players he kills, the more likely he is to keep Shattering. That's a problem, because it makes him behave like an Eliminator at night. At this point, I'm wondering who won't be evil by the time the game is through. Hoid is still on the run, along with any of his converts. Odium is killing active players, and he can appoint a champion as well. We also have Autonomy and Survival as neutral third-parties. That's at least 5 evil players, along with any of Hoid's conversions. I'm not saying that we should random kill, since that still isn't good odds. However, we need to be careful about role-claiming. Information is going to spread fast this game. If you are holding a Shard, I would be cautious about revealing it. I would also suggest holding on to it for a cycle. If you are a villager, you know you are good. The list Hoid has is out of date, so there is less reason to pass them on. Passing off Shards in a cycle or 2 is a good thing, especially if you think Odium or Hoid knows you have one, but we don't need to do it every cycle.

In other news, I will be going to Texas for New Years, so I won't be as active as I would like. I'll still browse the thread on mobile, but I won't be as talkative.

You said there are only 2 Devotion PMs going around right now. I took that to mean you were in both of them. I guess not.

Edit: I'm not sure I agree with the analysis about Shards not staying in the inactive either. Remember - if a player does not send in an order pertaining to their Shard within two cycles, the Shard passes to another player. From our [=player] perspective, anyone who doesn't post in the thread or say stuff in the World PMs is inactive. From the GM's perspective, someone may very well be silent in World PMs and in the thread and still be active enough to keep their Shard, because they're sending in low-key orders, e.g. to invest. Considering Odium hasn't been hitting inactives or lurkers, I'd be willing to say such a strategy works out better for them.

I'm also not agreeing with the conflation of Autonomy and Survival and Odium with Team Evil. Sure, if by 'Evil', you mean 'Not-Village', but that's an extremely crude and unhelpful way to draw the distinction - Seonid has already said all three other Factions can win with Team Shard or Team Hoid. They're indifferent to us. We would prefer to encourage them to fulfil their win cons in a way that helps us. So far, Odium has not been exceptionally harmful (one 17S convert (?) down, and losing Preservation which could be painful but also could be worse.), if indiscriminate with their killing. But setting them [=all three] up as Team Evil from the start will do us no favours - we don't need to encourage them to play in a way that directly and deliberately harms us, much less to ally with Team Hoid.

Edited by Kasimir

15 hours ago, Elenion said:

We need a new discussion topic, and it looks like my first action after coming home from vacation will be to make one.

Lopen

I'm feeling paranoid about him. He's been awfully quiet this game, for one, but more than that I think he's more likely than most to be in one of Devotion's PMs. Unless Odium got Conq by chance, Odium was in a PM with Conq. Right now my evidence is circumstantial at best, but I want some village input. It's better than just hopping on the bandwagon, after all.

What do you mean by "village input"?  What other input would you be getting?

whait now that ive been preserved i cant be lynched?

whyyyyy preservation whyyy?

edit: P.S. i realize that the night pm has been closed so i thought i'd add the message i sent at the very end that explained my actions somehow in RP form

Spoiler

i'll post this RP in am hour or so but since i am likely going to die  i thought i'd send it to you if you wanted to integrate it in my deat in any way 

sooo.... about my master plan i will give explanations in the form of RP ( @Seonid feel free to integrate it in my death)

PUNisher lept out of his hiding and stralled into the main hall . some people were agast , while others seemed too quiet as if they expected it . it annoyesd him that someone would let him take the lead and make himself a target, but what could he say he would had done the same . he wasn't even supposed to be there , but there was nothing more to be done . he had forced him self to a corner. All he could do is stall. He used an Aon to stop two shardbearing guards that came to him , then he rushed and leaped into the portal (pool) . As he was being teleported he left behind an envelope and then vanished.

he was alone but he suspected that this wouldn't be tha case for long . there were two  two groups that needed to be dealt with for everyones survival  . one, a man . a man that with his knowledge alone , could shake the foundations and stability of their society. The other a dark being that radiated hate. He was a conman and this is what he did , he had lied to everyone and now was the time to see if his lies would pan out . he waited ....

back in silverlight , an envelope laid unchecked in the floor.

Hide contents

if i survive the night, be wary. i am afraid that they got to me . do not trust anything i say . i tried to mislead and stall two groups as well as giving you the verification by smn's death as you wanted. 

-farewell, PUNisher.

New part : and he waited and he waited and he felt like an idiot

Edited by harambe

@Kasimir 

From the rules

Devotion:

Shardic Ability: During the Night Turn, Devotion may create PMs between two or more players using one of their actions. There is no limit on the number of PMs that can be created in a round, but Devotion may only have a number of open PMs equal to the Cycle (thus, 1 PM on Night 1, 2 PMs on Night 2, and so on). All of Devotion's PMs are created at the end of the Night Turn. Devotion may also close any or all of the PMs she has created at any time - doing so does not use an action, and takes effect at the end of the Turn in which she closes it. Devotion is not required to be involved in any of her PMs, and may put as many players as she desires into any given PM.

Investment Ability: Devotion's investee is protected from the lynch. If Devotion does not invest, she may use this ability instead of her Shardic ability.

Can't get this to go away.

Spoiler

I don't know what I'm doing still up at 5am, but I realized I never did get around to voting on Harambe this cycle. I don't particularly believe Harambe's claim that they've been preserved - I've lost count of the claims he's made so far.

Hmmm... so someone new has the Threnody Shard - possibly a Hoidite, Odiumite, or... Automite? Autonomite? Dunno. Anyway, Straw, what was its Shardic ability? You only revealed its investment ability, I think.

That's something we want to avoid getting into Eliminator hands. If they get the Threnody Shard, then they'd probably be able to prevent the alignments of a lot of people from getting revealed, which makes things a lot harder for us. New Ambition, can you please not use that Investment ability? If people don't pass on from the Cognitive Realm to the Beyond, I don't believe we ever learn their alignments, and it's bad enough as it is with a one cycle delay in learning alignments. Seonid, am I right that we never learn the alignment of a Shade because they never pass Beyond?

@AliasSheep 'Village input' meaning 'input from the villagers who would otherwise just be sitting on the bandwagon'. I thought I expressed that in the next sentence, but I guess I didn't make it clear.

Right now I think we've heard everything from Lopen that it would be prudent to hear with all of the factions listening in (although Devotion if you want to put him and me in a PM that would be nice).

But since I still don't want to join the bandwagon of the century I'm going to bandwagon with Kas and vote on Kynedath for inactivity. @Kynedath did you remember that you were in this game? (@Darkness Ascendant you too?)

Just now, I_am_a_Stick said:

two minutes left. I really hope this Harambe bandwagons turns out well. Losing another lynch would suck. I'm pretty sure we have enough votes to avoid vote manipulation. I hate vote manipulation. Does anyone have a vote tally 

Harambe; LOTS AND LOTS OF PEOPLE (At least 6)

Kynedath; Kas + Elenion

Maybe some other Guys; Idk Who

LG29: Night Three - Preservation’s Legacy

As the echoes of a Shattered Shard finally ceased to reverberate throughout the Cosmere, the scattered worldhoppers came out of their stunned silence. Such a sound had not been heard since the end of the last Shardic War, and one thing was now abundantly clear to everyone involved.

No matter how hard they had tried to avoid it, war was now here.

In panic, many looked around, trying to find an outlet for their fear and anger. On one world, that fear found a target.

The Worldhopper known only as the PUNisher was a new member of the small cadre, and was foreign to a great deal of them. This was a natural source of suspicion, made even more virulent by the fact that such a guise was the perfect hiding place for one of Hoid’s followers, or perhaps even Hoid himself.

The crowd of angry, frightened worldhoppers gathered around him late one summer’s day. They had brought Shardblades and Mistborn, sun-quickened sand and raw Stormlight - nothing was to be left to chance. Not this time.

But as they gathered around him, time itself seemed to slow down - Shardblades winked out, Stormlight and metals faded away, and sand turned quietly black. The PUNisher shone brilliantly for a moment, outlined in the power of Preservation.

Finally, it faded away, revealing a world that had turned to Night. The PUNisher walked past the stunned crowd of worldhoppers without saying a word, as the remains of Preservation’s final legacy faded behind him.

Nobody was lynched!

Vote Count:

Kynedath (2): Len, Kasimir

Harambe (10): Elodin, Joe, Bard, Mage, Alvron, Dalinar, Harambe, Stick, DroughtBringer, Arinian,

Night 3 has begun, and will end in 24 hours.

ora_1483131600.png

Friendly GM Announcement:
It was announced at the beginning of the game that there may be secret roles in play. Since the release of Arcanum Unbounded happened about a month ago, it is natural to speculate on whether or not the secret roles involved in this game are related to new Cosmere information released in that volume. As GMs, we neither confirm nor deny whether this is the case. However, the SE forum is held to the same spoiler policy as the rest of the 17th Shard. We hereby announce that this game is in full compliance to that spoiler policy. We ask that all the players comply with the spoiler policy regarding Arcanum Unbounded as well - even as you discuss the possibility of secret roles. This policy extends to group PMs and docs - especially the latter, as they will be made public. Please make sure that your speculations and discussions meet the spoiler policy.

Player List:
1. Assassin in Burgundy - First of the Game
2. Master Elodin - Second of the Signups
3. Jondesu - Quintus 17th Shard
4. AliasSheep - Kelen Taldar
5. Darkness Ascendant - Kaldain Selblessed
6. A Joe in the Bush - Jack Tormander Returned
7. Doc12 - Silence
8. Kynedath - Desten Kyde
9. TheMightyLopen - Kaloo
10. Straw - Malum Farcimen
11. Young Bard - Serol