Night 1: Uncomfortable Silence

The wreckage of the Party had only just been cleared away when a commotion arose at the doors of the Great Hall. The milling crowd, just barely calmed down from their panic, parted grudgingly in front of a pair of Rosharan guards - Surgebinders, their massive Shardplate encasing their whole bodies, faceless helmets gleaming. Jack Tormander was held bound by surges between them. The hulking Shardbearers brought their captive to Khrissala, standing at the head of the dais from which she oversaw the lockdown and the cleaning.

“We found this fellow trying to leave the feast, after your express orders that everyone remain.”

Khriss stared at Jack with hard eyes, as if trying to pierce a veil. “Execute him.” She turned away, as if to attend to some other matter. The guards took an aggressive stance, summoning their Shardblades.

“What!” Jack spluttered. “You can’t do this! I’m a Shard! One of the Sixteen! Stand down, maggots, or I will unleash the power of Cultivation on you!”

Khriss turned back, a smile quirking at the corners of her mouth. “We all know the Wanderer is a master of illusions. Lightweaving, if I recall correctly. I didn’t think you would have the temerity to impersonate one of the Sixteen. Die now, and know that your hope fails.” She waved a hand

Jack began to panic. “I can prove it! Let me summon up power to invest - “

Shardblades fell. Jack’s words were cut off. Smoke rose from burnt-out eyes.

The milling crowd fell deathly silent. Khriss watched the corpse, patiently waiting for something. After a few moments, she turned back to the crowd. “Apparently he wasn’t the Wanderer. Pity. Let this be a lesson to anyone who flouts my authority, though. If you are not helping to find the Wanderer, or if you are obstructing my efforts to stop him, you will be removed. You may return to your tasks.”

She walked away, leaving the room to fill with silence.

Jack Tormander (A Joe in the Bush) was lynched! His role and alignment will be revealed when he passes to the Spiritual Realm!

Vote Count
>Assassin (1): Bard
>Joe (2): Sheep, Lopen
>Lopen (1): Joe
>Mage (1): Alvron
>Zephrer (1): Sart

Night 1 has begun. It will end at 2:00 PM, December 23rd (Mountain Time)

cya_1482526800.png

Currently, nights are set at 24 hours, so the night will end tomorrow at 2:00 Mountain Time. If anyone would prefer a 48 hour night, we are willing to oblige that request. Please PM your preference to the GMs. At the end of the night, the votes will be tallied. If a majority desired 48 hour nights, all future nights will be extended (but not this night cycle).

Player List:
1. Assassin in Burgundy - First of the Game
2. Master Elodin - Second of the Signups
3. Jondesu - Quintus
4. AliasSheep - Kelen Taldar
5. Darkness Ascendant - Kaldain Selblessed
6. A Joe in the Bush - Jack Tormander
7. Doc12 - Silence
8. Kynedath - Desten Kyde
9. TheMightyLopen - Kaloo
10. Straw - Malum Farcimen
11. Young Bard - Serol
12. Magestar - Magestar
13. Alvron - Lorna
14. Dalinar Kholin - Sanya
15. Harambe - PUNisher
16. I_am_a_Stick - Stic
17. RubiksCube - cubefright archive
18. DroughtBringer - Ralar
19. Araris Valerian - Aralis
20. Arinian - Arinian
21. Zephrer - Tardeick
22. Conquestor - Farallen Oniz
23. Sart - Sam Trudite
24. Aonar Faileas - Nilan Izenry
25. Elenion - emissary of Mandos
26. Kasimir - Tenth of the Dusk

Edited by Alvron

PSA on Shardic Abilities:

A Shard has two unique actions they may take - they may invest (which may only be done during the Day Turn) and they may use a unique Shardic action (which may only be done during the Night Turn). If a Shard chooses not to invest in another player, they may essentially "self-invest" during the Day Turn (using one of their actions like normal). This lets them use their investment ability instead of their Shardic ability, as if they had been invested by the Shard they hold.

Essentially, it costs 2 actions for a Shard's investment ability to be used (unless it is a passive investment) - if they invest in another, it takes one of their for the investment and one of their investee's to use the ability. If they invest in themselves, it takes 2 of their own actions (unless it is a passive ability).

On 12/21/2016 at 3:47 PM, AliasSheep said:

Sorry for doubleposts - I'm still not clear on the actual context in which posts should be edited or doubleposts should be made >> If this needs to be merged with the previous post, if someone lets me know then I'll do so

As I understand it, the rules for edits are as follows - if it's within the hour (or so), just edit rather than double-posting. If several hours have passed without anyone posting, or you have particularly important new information, feel free to post again. (Corollary - if you are voting, please do so in a new post rather than editing, because since at least I track votes as I see them, I can't guarantee I'll see your edit.) It's essentially up to your best judgement, beyond that. 

Edited by Elbereth

I wonder if he really was Cultivation and if he was, whom he passed to.

As Farallen and Jack made there way to Roshar, they were stopped by shard bearers. "what do you need?" Farallen asked pointedly annoyed. The guards scowled as one of them said, "We need the boy, he is being investigated by the Shardic Coalition." "You think he's Hoid? He doesn't even know how to move into other worlds!" Farallen's voice getting louder and harsher. "Are you defending him?" "What if I am?" The guards just looked at each other, then one knocked Farallen out cold and the other grabbed Jack.

Farallen woke up with a note out in front of him. "We are sorry, but we killed the boy and it appears that he was not in fact the Wanderer. Our sincerest apologies." A tear hit the note and Farallen's heart once again turned to an icy stone. "Why did this happen again?"

@Elbereth Feel free to edit this in when you get back

PSA on Shardic Abilities:

A Shard has two unique actions they may take - they may invest (which may only be done during the Day Turn) and they may use a unique Shardic action (which may only be done during the Night Turn). If a Shard chooses not to invest in another player, they may essentially "self-invest" during the Day Turn (using one of their actions like normal). This lets them use their investment ability instead of their Shardic ability, as if they had been invested by the Shard they hold.

Essentially, it costs 2 actions for a Shard's investment ability to be used (unless it is a passive investment) - if they invest in another, it takes one of their for the investment and one of their investee's to use the ability. If they invest in themselves, it takes 2 of their own actions (unless it is a passive ability).

Made it to the hotel! So I'll respond to everything I feel I should now.

First, Joe's post where he voted on me. If he really was Culty, sorry, but there's 10 Shards out of 26 players, so the fact that I voted on him isn't really grounds to accuse me of "knowing" he's a Shard. I also wasn't trying to lead a bandwagon on him. I thought that it was possible he made a slip, so I pointed it out and put my vote on him. I was purposely trying not to be too aggressive, because I know I get tunnel-y sometimes and can be lynch happy as well.

Second post I want to respond to is the one where Joe said that I wouldn't lynch him over that. I was actually the very first vote on him, so it wasn't like my vote was sealing his death or anything. If I was able to get on before the Day ended, I might have removed my vote(especially with Joe being upset). Of course, as Alv pointed out, Joe could have saved himself or even killed me, which is weird. I'm not sure why he didn't do that.

Well, I suppose that's all I wanted to respond to. If Joe is village, I hope he can be revived. I'm hoping we can get it confirmed whether he was Culty or not soon though, since that will determine whether he should be or not.

43 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I guess the most likely means of confirming that he held Cultivation would be if it passes to someone, but of course they'd have to be willing to say that, and then we'd have to trust them.

Joe did say that he was going to Invest in Elodin so the possibly new Culty doesn't need to reveal themselves as long as Elodin can confirm receiving an Investment.

Thanks, Elodin, so unless he and Joe were in cahoots and trying to trick us, it does seem likely Joe really did have Cultivation. Whoever has it now, I'd usually recommend PMing someone, but in this game...I dunno. I don't think I'd be announcing too loudly if I had a Shard.

First why kill joe ? He was one of the most vocal players , and I found his input important .

plus why didnt he change the vote to save himself what kind of a self harming idiot does that 

unless he wanted to be exonerated by eloping so that when he returns he can become honor'S champion

btw I think that this strat  is definitely the best one we have

Edited by harambe

The strategy of having him return to become honor's champion so that at least for one day we have someone we can trust

as for the possibility that he is in cahoots with eliding I find it highly unlikely, given that no one else spoke out claiming to be or be invested by cultivation 

2 hours ago, AliasSheep said:

"If a Shard is killed, the Shard is given to the last player they invested in, "
If Elodin was invested then Elodin is the one who'll be receiving the Shard.

Firstly goes investment then Shard passing then lynch... so no he don't died with Shard in his hands. And I want to ask Endowment to resurrect Joe (pls).

Edited by Arinian

8 minutes ago, harambe said:

The strategy of having him return to become honor's champion so that at least for one day we have someone we can trust

as for the possibility that he is in cahoots with eliding I find it highly unlikely, given that no one else spoke out claiming to be or be invested by cultivation 

I don't think becoming a Champion of Honour changes one's alignment.  That being said, no one has come forth to claim to be invested by Cultivation.  That, however, is not necessarily total proof.  Say, for example, Cultivation wants to protect their identity because if they reveal it then Odium would know who they are and could shatter them.

Regardless, assuming Joe has this night and Day 2 in the Cognitive realm, then I think a good course of action would be to have an Awakener scan Elodin.  If the scan shows that he has Shardic Investiture then Endowment can return Joe we will know that Joe was innocent.  

EDIT: This won't work since Endowment's ability is night turn based.

Another thought.  It perhaps a good course of action that Elodin pass on his Shard to someone else that he trusts.  This is because The 17th Shard and Odium both know that he now has Cultivation which puts him at a fairly high level of risk and so passing the Shard would help protect him.

2 minutes ago, Arinian said:

Firstly goes investment then Shard passing then lynch... so no he don't died with Shard in his hands.

Did Joe say that he was going to pass his Shard to anyone other than Elodin?

Edited by AliasSheep

1 minute ago, Arinian said:

He said that he gonna pass Shard to someone but didn't said to whom.

A quote from Joe in this post:

"I literally have in my notes that I trust Master Elodin because of the threnody pun he made. That's the level of trust I have for people on day 1, but I'm passing a shard to someone I trust that much, because I'm being lynched. "

I think that this implies that he passed the Shard onto Elodin.

1 minute ago, AliasSheep said:

A quote from Joe in this post:

"I literally have in my notes that I trust Master Elodin because of the threnody pun he made. That's the level of trust I have for people on day 1, but I'm passing a shard to someone I trust that much, because I'm being lynched. "

I think that this implies that he passed the Shard onto Elodin.

Maybe or maybe not. I don't have answer on that.

2 hours ago, AliasSheep said:

What strat?

@Seonid Regarding the Cognitive Realm, would Joe pass on to the Spiritual Realm at the end of this night or the end of next day?

If Joe is not a Shade, and if he is not Returned tonight, he will pass on to the Spiritual Realm at the end of Day 2.