Faceless Mist-Wraith

Savantisim isn't Required

9 posts in this topic

When I was reading Hero of Ages, one of the coolest things I saw was how Spook gained an almost Daredevil-level of heightened. I thought that this was an incredible ability, and was somewhat disappointed that it required you to do irreversible damage to yourself. However, a short time after this I stumbled upon an interesting fact. It appears that human-echolocation is actually a thing. This may seem far-fetched, but I have done some research and you are free to fact check me. Here is a link for the basic idea:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-human-echolocation-allows-people-to-see-without-using-their-eyes-1916013/

Now onto the actual theory. Since people are naturally capable of echolocation, which is similar to the "area sense" that Spook had, I think it would be reasonable to assume that a tineye could also to achieve a similar ability, since non-powered people are already somewhat close. It would still require patience and training, but the misting could likely achieve the pseudo-atium effect that Spook did in HoA. I admit that they likely wouldn't have the same level of keen senses as Spook, such as being able to feel stones through clothes, but the situational awareness aspect would likely be similar if not identical.

The second part of my theory/question is whether or not this is an isolated case. Can people achieve steel-mastery like Kelsier or Zane simply through their own efforts? Or is savantism still needed for some specific powers? 

There's theories that Wax is a Steel Savant. I don't think it's so much that Spook was damaged by his Savantism, it's more like his physiology was changed. As for your theory, the person's power is based on his Spiritweb. From what I've read, Allomancy has limits to how much power it can release, Feruchemy doesn't. (You can only push so hard, but you can release your weight all at once.) However, like in Spook's case, one would have to undergo physical, cognitive, and or spiritual change to push past the natural limits of Allomancy.

Edited by SoulWeaver
Updated research on my part

I've read about Wax being a Steel Savant. It could explain his skill with steel-bubbles. My question is whether a person can achieve similar abilities through effort/skill alone, or if stretching yourself out spiritually in order to become a savant is required. It seems like with tin you can at least achieve the "area sense" to a lesser degree, but I'm wondering if this applies to other metals, specifically steel and iron since they are the ones that show more outward signs when you become a savant.

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith

^ welcome to the Shard

Savantism seems to be a method of extending your abilities beyond their limits, as Spook with the pseudo-atium. For Wax, it seems to be more of a matter of perception. As @FiveLate said, Savantism in steel would most likely resort in the blue worldview. Wax hasn't become a Savant, he just seems to have mastered perception.

Spoiler

The bullet thing in the beginning of BoM is a good example. Wax saw the bullet as one line, but split it into three after perceiving the bullet differently.

23 minutes ago, Jedal said:

Wax hasn't become a Savant, he just seems to have mastered perception.

This would suggest that mistings can acquire savant-like abilities through practice, correct? I'm just thinking about how Zane could rotate on a single steel-line, and I was wondering whether a person who wasn't spiked or a savant could achieve this or similar feats, such as Kelsier's revolving metal pinwheels of death.

1 minute ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

This would suggest that mistings can acquire savant-like abilities through practice, correct? I'm just thinking about how Zane could rotate on a single steel-line, and I was wondering whether a person who wasn't spiked or a savant could achieve this or similar feats, such as Kelsier's revolving metal pinwheels of death.

"Revolving metal pinwheels of death" I would like to see the quote where that happens indeed!

But yeah, while rotating on a single line is probably impossible, I think that the metal field and the perception piece are possible.

52 minutes ago, Jedal said:

"Revolving metal pinwheels of death" I would like to see the quote where that happens indeed!

But yeah, while rotating on a single line is probably impossible, I think that the metal field and the perception piece are possible.

I am referring to when Kelsier and the Inquisitor are fighting, and Kelsier stops a series of arrows by pushing on one end of a bar and pulling on the other. He then sends these "Revolving metal pinwheels of death" at the archers. Sorry I can't get the exact quote, I don't have immediate access to the book. I will find it once I do.

(edit)

I realized that while Kelsier's skill is affected by being a savant, the revolving pinwheels of death require skill in both pushing and pulling, so a misting wouldn't be able to pull it off no matter how skilled they were.

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith

16 minutes ago, FiveLate said:

Zane's ability to rotate on a single steel line had to do with his hemalurgic spike...I remember reading somewhere he was spiked with steel. WOB I think.   So he was double invested there .

Zane's increased steelpushing control was indeed due to the hemalurgic spike through his sternum, granting steel allomancy.

Things like Wax’s steel bubble are tricks I wanted to save for people like Wax. (He’s what we’d call in the Mistborn world a steel savant, so capable with his metal—and having burned it so long, for so many years—that he’s got an instinctive ability with it that lets him be very precice.) [http://brandonsanderson.com/annotation-the-alloy-of-law-chapter-eleven/]

Wax is a Savant. :)

[http://brandonsanderson.com/annotation-the-alloy-of-law-chapter-eleven/] in case you can't see the quote I included.]

Edited by SoulWeaver