Just now, Edgedancer said:

So how exactly would he draw from energy that's not just an Epic shooting at him? Could he stick his finger into a socket and control all of the energy at once? What about stuff like kinetic energy and heat?

If he were to stick his finger in a socket, he would absorb the energy, but kinetic energy and heat are no-nos.

So does energy refer specifically to electiricity here?

I don't know the scientific qualification, but it includes electricity, atomic energy, and whatever concussive energy is thrown out. So excluding heat and kinetic energy from physical contact, Battery can absorb pretty much anything.

37 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Depending on how long after Calamity he got his powers, finding a city with a functional power grid might be a tall order; and keeping it functional would be equally difficult. He'd need infrastructure to keep all that going, a police force to protect it, a populace to justify it, and loyal Epics to protect the city from rivals....and all of a sudden Steelheart and Newcago aren't unique anymore. 

This went unaddressed....

3 minutes ago, Jedal said:

I don't know the scientific qualification, but it includes electricity, atomic energy, and whatever concussive energy is thrown out. So excluding heat and kinetic energy from physical contact, Battery can absorb pretty much anything.

So with atomic energy you mean like the energy that gets released in nuclear fission and not just the potential energy stored in them? To my understanding, a concussive blast would also pretty much be kinetic energy.

1 minute ago, Edgedancer said:

So with atomic energy you mean like the energy that gets released in nuclear fission and not just the potential energy stored in them? To my understanding, a concussive blast would also pretty much be kinetic energy.

Yeah, so energy from nuclear fission. I'm not the best science guy. As I posted above, I'm making a retcon saying that Battery can absorb kinetic energy, but only if it is not transferred through physical contact(punches or walking). This would prevent him from being OP, while still being able to fight a telekinetic.

47 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Depending on how long after Calamity he got his powers, finding a city with a functional power grid might be a tall order; and keeping it functional would be equally difficult. He'd need infrastructure to keep all that going, a police force to protect it, a populace to justify it, and loyal Epics to protect the city from rivals....and all of a sudden Steelheart and Newcago aren't unique anymore. 

Just bringing this up again. All I want is a sound explanation. It's a pretty big snarl. 

Just now, Jedal said:

Yeah, so energy from nuclear fission. I'm not the best science guy. As I posted above, I'm making a retcon saying that Battery can absorb kinetic energy, but only if it is not transferred through physical contact(punches or walking). This would prevent him from being OP, while still being able to fight a telekinetic.

Fair enough. So to make sure I'm on the same page wit you, what would happen if he was hit with say a fireball or a gust of wind?

Still not exactly enough to keep up a stable infrastructre this far into the Fractured States though. I dunno, maybe have something along the lines of him trying to take over Newcago for its energy grid but failing horribly and only getting away because he retreated before he actually made Steelheart angry?

Fair enough. So to make sure I'm on the same page wit you, what would happen if he was hit with say a fireball or a gust of wind?

Still not exactly enough to keep up a stable infrastructre this far into the Fractured States though. I dunno, maybe have something along the lines of him trying to take over Newcago for its energy grid but failing horribly and only getting away because he retreated before he actually made Steelheart angry?

That might work better. Except for taking a treck across the Shattered States. How would an Epic, who has no real travelling abilities make it to Oregon, much less hear about it? I could revamp the story to make it easier to place around Oregon.

But yeah, if Batter were to be hit by a gust of wind, he would get blown over. If he were to get hit by a fireball, he would be burned. For kinetic energy, I'm talking about things along the lines of telekinesis. If pure telekinetic energy were thrown at him, he would b able to absorb it. If the Epic used telekinesis to make a building fall on him, we would have a different story.

2 hours ago, Jedal said:

Alright, I revamped my Epic, and I'm gonna divide the different parts into different sections.

Name: Battery

Powers:

Reveal hidden contents

Prime Ability: Feedback: Battery can absorb and redirect energy attacks from other Epics. However, the power of the attack will diminish greatly as soon as it has been absorbed (i.e. if a blast could obliterate a car, it would instead knock it over). Battery is acutely aware of the power of each strike he has absorbed, and can redirect the energy whenever he wishes. However, the longer he holds the energy in, the weaker it becomes.

Secondary Ability: Enhanced durability and strength: Battery can tank a couple of hits from an Epic with above average strength, and survive a fall from a five story building. However, he cannot survive a sustained fight with powerful Epics nor survive bullets and tank shells.

Secondary Ability: Regeneration: While not instantaneous, Battery regenerates every Sunday, with any wounds that were not caused by his weakness vanishing.

Personality:

Reveal hidden contents

With the onset of his powers, David began to see himself as God, and began to blame himself for his mother’s death. This inner guilt and hatred of himself manifests as callousness for lives, as he believes that if he did not save the life of the woman who was pure goodness, all lives must be trivial. While not actively seeking to murder, he has no qualms for it if his cause calls for it. Seeking to rule as the God he is, Battery has slaves create monuments to him, converting the area he occupies into a sort of cult, complete with a twisted clergy and rituals.

Pre-Calamity Backstory:

Reveal hidden contents

David was a regular man, albeit incredibly bitter at the world for taking his mother from him. Having contracted leukemia, the woman who had been like an angel was stolen away when David was merely a boy. Blaming God for not saving her, David entombed himself in studies of medicine, desiring to prevent anyone else from suffering God’s wrath. Becoming an extremely skilled oncologist, David saved hundreds of lives, but lost more patients than he would care to admit.

Reason for coming to Oregon:

Reveal hidden contents

Utilizing his new abilities, Battery conquered the city of Seattle, Washington, within a year. Although not nearly the strongest Epic, Battery was most definitely one of the smartest. Channeling the city’s power grid, he called down massive bolts of lightning and obliterated his challengers. However, everything changed when a powerful Epic known as Fission came. With the power to split atoms, Fission leveled a great deal of Seattle within days, challenging Battery to a battle. In a war that was waged for three hours, the two men battled across Seattle, with Battery absorbing the atomic energy and hurling it at Fission. In the end, it was luck that had led Battery to victory. Having fallen beneath a pile of rubble, Battery lay in hiding. Fission stepped over the ruins of the enemy he thought dead. As Fission raised a hand to destroy his foe once and for all, Battery burst from the stones, throwing forth his entire reserve of power, destroying Fission in a blaze of light. The battle may have been won, but Battery had lost his kingdom. Hearing tales of Oregon and the many Epics there, Battery desired to prove himself God of everything. And so, he set out to create an empire.

I don't know if I should put my weakness here, but if I should, I'll just add it in.

I would really appreciate some feedback from you @bleeder .

Much stronger. Well done overall, and as an Epic his abilities are quite particular and interesting. The electricity thing is smart.

I'm down.

Where do you plan on putting him?

24 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Much stronger. Well done overall, and as an Epic his abilities are quite particular and interesting. The electricity thing is smart.

I'm down.

Where do you plan on putting him?

I'm thinking either Corvalis or Salem, since those two seem to be the only one's accepting Epics at the moment. I think I would have an easier time in a place with less backstory. Which one would be better?

Just now, Jedal said:

I'm thinking either Corvalis or Salem, since those two seem to be the only one's accepting Epics at the moment. I think I would have an easier time in a place with less backstory. Which one would be better?

Right now I'm only in Portland, and the only Epic I have planned is going to be in Astoria, so I've no clue :P

Is my vanilla approved? I was wondering. He was left behind in the last Question.

Name: Valdemar Dagursson

Appearance:

Wears his uniform, like all of the vanilla guards. His hair is almost white, and his skin is far paler than a normal human’s, because of his decent. Has a scar slanted between his eyes.

Backstory:

He was born in Corvallis 3 years before his brother. He calls himself a different last name to use the normal Icelandic naming system (patronymic). He joined the police force because he thought it would be a better life than cleaning up an epic’s house for the rest of his life.

He gained his scar from a ghoul in the recent attacks.

I already wrote his post. I am (again) ready to post if this goes through.

Edited by Chasmfiend

Huzzah, new thread!

...might be a good time t mention this then. I'm kind of considering maybe making a new character for the Dalles?

Just kind of occurred to me that, despite the Guard being a big part of the Dalles character and set-up...we don't really have any vanilla guardsmen PoV's.

:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

@Jedal, you seem to understand that discussing minute nuances of power is far easier than rectifying the glaring problem which @TwiLyghtSansSparkles has repeatedly (and politely) raised.

If you want to integrate successfully into the RP, I suggest that you respond to the community's attempts to help you. It is an integral part of developing a character who will be a good addition to this collaborative endeavor.

In regards to matters of personality, what I firmly believe to be the most important part of writing, I see Battery's motivations as a bit cliched. WHiO has a huge amount of Epics out to dominate and make an empire. This makes sense; it's a typical part of Calamity's corruption. In all honesty, though, it gets rather boring.

For lack of better words, an Epic-filled RP is like a story set in a disaster zone -- but the only things written for are earthquakes and tornadoes instead of the citizens affected by them.

I encourage you to look into making a human character or adopting. Converter hasn't been active lately, and his creator hasn't either. If @TheSilverDragon isn't around or interested anymore, we could look into giving him to you with GM approval. 

Again, human characters are very dynamic and engaging. Please think about it.

But if you are dead-set on an Epic, you need to talk about more than powers.

Look, I'm a stubborn guy. But I'll try to see to your suggestions. I'll keep Battery tucked in my back pocket and continue to tinker. When I feel he's ready, I'll set him loose on another question thread. But until then, I'll adopt a character. Maybe Leech? He seems up my alley. If you or someone who could fill me in on him PM me, I would be much obliged.

Edited by Jedal

Look, I'm a stubborn guy. But I'll try to see to your suggestions. I'll keep Battery tucked in my back pocket and continue to tinker. When I feel he's ready, I'll set him loose on another question thread. But until then, I'll adopt a character. Maybe Leech? He seems up my alley. If you or someone who could fill me in on him PM me, I would be much obliged.

This is a very cooperative community. It's a group game, and we take pride in making this collaborative story as good as we can. If a player offers suggestions for improvement, it isn't an insult. And I'm afraid that if you put your own stubbornness ahead of a desire to add to this story, then you will not get as much out of this game as you could. 

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

This is a very cooperative community. It's a group game, and we take pride in making this collaborative story as good as we can. If a player offers suggestions for improvement, it isn't an insult. And I'm afraid that if you put your own stubbornness ahead of a desire to add to this story, then you will not get as much out of this game as you could. 

No, I'm yielding. I'm not trying to be selfish, I just need to be really convinced. Sometimes being nice isn't the way to do it. And if you could tell me, is Leech taken? He was on the list for adoptions and it seems like the two of us might be a perfect fit...

No, I'm yielding. I'm not trying to be selfish, I just need to be really convinced. Sometimes being nice isn't the way to do it. And if you could tell me, is Leech taken? He was on the list for adoptions and it seems like the two of us might be a perfect fit...

I'm sorry, I'll be blunt here: There should be no need to "really convince" someone to accept constructive criticism, especially when said criticism would take a character from being a rather cliched villain to being something truly memorable. 

If you must be "really convinced" to accept constructive criticism, meant entirely for your benefit, then I suggest you seek entertainment elsewhere, because this game is not for you. 

2 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I'm sorry, I'll be blunt here: There should be no need to "really convince" someone to accept constructive criticism, especially when said criticism would take a character from being a rather cliched villain to being something truly memorable. 

If you must be "really convinced" to accept constructive criticism, meant entirely for your benefit, then I suggest you seek entertainment elsewhere, because this game is not for you. 

damnation. Ok. Welp, I don't really have to be forced, I'm just pretty excited. I wanted to make my own character, but I now see that I do not yet have the right  talents for the job. Instead, I want to try and pick up where someone left off, as you said. If you really want me gone, I will leave.

And Cognizantastic, I'm just starting to look through his stuff, and I find myself starting to like him...

Edited by Jedal

10 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

@Jedal

edit: @Quiver, that sounds super cool! Can you submit a profile? I'd love to read it.

I... do not quite have plans yet. Or rather, have a few ideas, and I'm not sure which to pursue. 

(I'm going to ramble. Sorry. Its how I spin ideas).

I guess, what I'm kind of interested in is the idea how... Remington Springfield killing Koschei is like a moment out of folklore. It's the kind of galvanising moment that changes lives, and I'm trying to figure out an interesting how for how to use that.

An old idea I tinkered with way back when was the idea of a villain vanilla; a member of the Guard who kind of had the attitude of...

Almost like a proto-Reckoner. Someone who studies epics, to find their weakness, then kills them because that's what the Springfields would want. Epics are rabid dogs, so you put them down. 

It's just that this attitude is being expressed in the one place where epics are being co-operative. Any other place or time, they'd be a hero. Here and now, they're exacerbating a situation.

5 minutes ago, Chasmfiend said:

-__- 

I feel ignored.

Can someone please tell me if my vanilla is okay?

I quite like the basic idea of him, and it's a good build off of another character, but as Twi said it's down to Comatose in the end.

|

|

V

Edited by bleeder

1 hour ago, Chasmfiend said:

Is my vanilla approved? I was wondering. He was left behind in the last Question.

Name: Valdemar Dagursson

Appearance:

Wears his uniform, like all of the vanilla guards. His hair is almost white, and his skin is far paler than a normal human’s, because of his decent. Has a scar slanted between his eyes.

Backstory:

He was born in Corvallis 3 years before his brother. He calls himself a different last name to use the normal Icelandic naming system (patronymic). He joined the police force because he thought it would be a better life than cleaning up an epic’s house for the rest of his life.

He gained his scar from a ghoul in the recent attacks.

I already wrote his post. I am (again) ready to post if this goes through.

I really like him. There's a lot of backstory I'd love to know( I have the soul of a lorist) but that's somewhat unnecessary, so... I approve!