Mistborn Chess

Faceless Mist-Wraith

I don't think it's op. Since Elend cannot move from check I would be very wary of using it.

I felt like that would be a good trade-off, giving the opponent an advantage to balance possibly losing 2 pieces. This version is probably better than what I had originally thought, which was to give Vin 3 moves instead of 2.

Do you have any thoughts about Marsh, Dockson, or the Hazekiller? I'm thinking that they should have attributes instead of an activatable ability. For Dockson I am trying to find something that relates to his focus on resources. I'm not sure what Marsh and the Hazekiller should be able to do. 

A hazekiller would probably be immune to soothing/rioting and have a defense against some other forms of allomancy.

Marsh can sense allomantic use. So... Maybe when Marsh uses bronze the opponent is prevented from using allomancy on the next turn? (Since forewarned is forarmed so you would be able to 'dodge'?) I can't really think of anything else. If Marsh is used as a pawn, he promotes to an Inquisitor, as a possible variant. As an attack piece he can gain this status by taking one down.

Really not sure about Dox. He's basically a quarter master... Infiltrate, where he cannot be attacked for a turn as he is infiltrating the opponent?

8 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

A hazekiller would probably be immune to soothing/rioting and have a defense against some other forms of allomancy.

I currently have this as an attribute that mistborn knights have, and I am trying to differentiate them so that a person might have a tactical reason to choose between them. Good suggestion though!

8 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Marsh can sense allomantic use. So... Maybe when Marsh uses bronze the opponent is prevented from using allomancy on the next turn? (Since forewarned is forarmed so you would be able to 'dodge'?)

Would this work along the bishop's diagonal?

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith
Punctuation

I could have it work along the diagonals and have a 2 turn cool-down. This would make it so that a person doesn't have to keep track of a bunch of recharge times while still keeping the essence of the ability.

Any ideas to differentiate a hazekiller from a mistborn? Currently, mistborn/white knights are immune to Emotional allomancy.

Not necessarily; unless otherwise specified promoted units just don't get abilities.  That could be a viable alternative.

As a player I'd prefer that to only being able to gain one particular piece. (I happen to be rather weak with my rooks. I usually promote to a bishop or knight.) My family usually plays that you can only promote a new queen if you've lost the original. If I can't promote to a piece I find useful than I won't bother to put in the effort.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it has been a while, I've been busy. I have come up with ideas for Dockson and the Hazekiller piece.

For Dockson, there are two ideas. For the first I was thinking that he could have the one-time ability  to "Rally the troops", which would allow all pawns in his row to move forward one space. This ability could not be used on a pawn that hasn't moved at least once. The second option is based on Kingsdaughter's idea, where Dockson can "Infiltrate" the enemy. This would work in that he can move into a non-checking location, and not be attacked. The way this is different from Atium is that he can not take a piece using this ability.

For the Hazekiller I'm thinking that since they've trained to fight allomancers, they would be prepared for Thugs, so the Hazekiller piece's ability would be that Ham can't take them.

Let me know what you think!

• 2 months later...
On May 11, 2017 at 6:50 PM, Just another guyn said:

What happens when an acendant respawns in the place another piece currently occupies?

@Kingsdaughter613 was the one who came up with the version with the ascension mechanic, so I'm not entirely sure. If I were to guess I would say that they would respawn into the available space closest to where they would normally respawn.

Update: I had written a better idea for Dockson down, but had forgotten to update it here. The idea was that he would be able to switch positions with an adjacent ally piece at the end of his turn. This would avoid the possible confusion with atium and the complication of moving all the pawns that could result from the other ideas.

I have added this idea for Dockson and the Hazekiller to the alternate piece list, and added a copy of this list to the top of the first page for ease of access. A copy of these rules has also been added to the testing specific post. I will probably start working on an Era 2 version soon. Let me know if you have any ideas, or thoughts on the Era 1 rules.

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith
Update, wanted to avoid double posting.

• Chaos locked this topic