Nightblood 2.0

Faceless Mist-Wraith

I came up with this while looking at a "other awakened objects" thread. What if you used the same process Vasher used to make Nightblood, but instead you made a gun. Would you get a gun that shoots black smoke bullets of death? I imagine you would likely need a special holster akin to Nightblood's sheath, otherwise it would kill whoever picked it up. If you could get this to work, you would have a gun that kill anything, potentially even a shard, just with one shot.

(puts on wicked face)

Now what would happen if you shot the planet you were on? Pocket sized death-star anyone? If you were to miss your target, you could end up accidentally destroying the world. 

(takes off wicked face)

Don't miss.

3 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

I came up with this while looking at a "other awakened objects" thread. What if you used the same process Vasher used to make Nightblood, but instead you made a gun. Would you get a gun that shoots black smoke bullets of death? I imagine you would likely need a special holster akin to Nightblood's sheath, otherwise it would kill whoever picked it up. If you could get this to work, you would have a gun that kill anything, potentially even a shard, just with one shot.

(puts on wicked face)

Now what would happen if you shot the planet you were on? Pocket sized death-star anyone? If you were to miss your target, you could end up accidentally destroying the world. 

(takes off wicked face)

Don't miss.

That's actually very curious, I hadn't thought about it, but it would probably shoot normal bullets, because the awakened object is the gun, not the bullets. Awakening even a magazine would take insane amount of breaths. But it would probably kill anyone who touches the gun, which would make it absolutely useless, it would be like a normal gun, with no pros and a lot of cons. Sorry to let you down :(. Also, I don't think an awakened object is capable of destroying a planet.

I was thinking that the awakened power aspect of the gun would provide the magic bullets, much like how Nightblood exudes the killer smoke. What are the limits of an awakened object like Nightblood? It destroys something on all three realms near instantaneously, meaning that it can kill pretty much any humanoid. I understood this as the object consuming the target's investiture. Is there a size limitation to this? Could Nightblood or the Night-gun disintegrate a chasm-fiend? Can they kill a shard? And if you did shoot/stab the ground what would happen?

Sorry about all the questions.

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith

7 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Is there a size limitation to this?

To my understanding, there is not.

Could Nightblood or the Night-gun disintegrate a chasm-fiend?

It would remove it from existence and corrupt the investiture.

Can they kill a shard? 

No. The Shard is so enormous in power that it would be impossible.

And if you did shoot/stab the ground what would happen?

I assume that based on the intent of the wielder, it would do different things.

Sorry about all the questions.

It's alright. You can have a cookie too.

Thinking along those lines, you could probably make Awakened armor like deadly Shardplate. It'd have to be coated on the inside with whatever Nightblood's sheath is made of (Aluminum?) to protect you, but then you'd literally just have to walk into opposing lines and watch them all disintegrate the moment they brushed up against you. Terrifying. 

2 minutes ago, Ironeyes said:

Thinking along those lines, you could probably make Awakened armor like deadly Shardplate. It'd have to be coated on the inside with whatever Nightblood's sheath is made of (Aluminum?) to protect you, but then you'd literally just have to walk into opposing lines and watch them all disintegrate the moment they brushed up against you. Terrifying. 

But wouldn't that also drain your Investiture slowly? It's really pointless.

Just now, Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew said:

But wouldn't that also drain your Investiture slowly? It's really pointless.

Lol no, it'd drain your investiture REALLY quickly if Nightblood is anything to judge by. Better to stick with a sword. Unless you've got an overabundance of spare investiture. 

Just now, Ironeyes said:

Lol no, it'd drain your investiture REALLY quickly if Nightblood is anything to judge by. Better to stick with a sword. Unless you've got an overabundance of spare investiture. 

Yup, agree, trying to awake another object would be pointless, I guess Brandon designed this type of awakening specifically for swords.

That is why I said you would need to make an accompanying holster for a sword-sheath equivalent. The handle would likely be neutral while the gun is holstered, much like how Nightblood's handle doesn't immediately suck out investiture unless you draw him. 

If you were to draw Nightblood, and then try to cut his sheath, would it cut? Or is the sheath not susceptible to being cut?

Anyway, I did a quick read of Warbreaker and I think I found the answer to my question of "why doesn't the world disintegrate if you stab/shoot the ground". In the book, Vasher uses nightblood to cut through walls and floors, and doing so only disintegrates those walls and floors, not the whole building they are a part of. This probably has to do with Identity, and how the walls see themselves as separate things, not just part of the building. Similarly, a planet probably doesn't have one singular Identity, but instead sees itself as several parts. If you were to stab/shoot the ground you would probably just disintegrate the portion of the ground that viewed itself as one piece.

• Chaos locked this topic