Lashing a building

Sallin Zeras

Ok guys, I know I talk a lot about Lashing, about half of mi posts in the Shard are about that, but it's just that I'm fascinated by this kind of investiture, Stormlight's magic system is my favorite out of all of the ones I have seen. Now to the question, in the prologue of WoR, we saw Jasnah enter Shadesmar, in there, if I recall correctly, she saw that Gavilar's palace is seen as just one thing in Shadesmar, I guess that means that the entire palace can be Invested. Does that mean that a Skybreaker or a Windrunner powerful enough could destroy the palace by lashing it to a side?

Honestly, that's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most about the later SA books, seeing large groups of magic users in coordination. Brandon's MO so far has been solitary heroes like Vin or small groups like Vasher/Vivenna. I'm psyched to see what he would do with an entire army of surgebinders. 

4 minutes ago, Ironeyes said:

Honestly, that's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most about the later SA books, seeing large groups of magic users in coordination. Brandon's MO so far has been solitary heroes like Vin or small groups like Vasher/Vivenna. I'm psyched to see what he would do with an entire army of surgebinders. 

Yeah, I would love to see ten Knights Radiant, one from each order, fighting against an army of Voidbringers. That would probably be the best thing of all time if it happened. Just imagine, Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Szeth, Lift, Renarin, Jasnah, just to see all of them together would give me goosebumps. That would be EPIC!

4 minutes ago, Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew said:

Yeah, I would love to see ten Knights Radiant, one from each order, fighting against an army of Voidbringers. That would probably be the best thing of all time if it happened. Just imagine, Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Szeth, Lift, Renarin, Jasnah, just to see all of them together would give me goosebumps. That would be EPIC!

Dalinar stands atop a large rock, analyzing the enemy and devising a strategy. Kaladin gives a motivating speech to the troops while Shallan listens with half an hear because she's busy maintaining an illusion so that the Parshendi don't notice the ambush. Lift doesn't even bother to listen with half an ear, because, well, she's Lift. To the side, Jasnah rests, recovering from the stress of Elsecalling all of them to this place, while Szeth listens intently to Kaladin's words, fiddling with the clasp on Nightblood's sheath. 

The time finally comes. Kaladin finishes his speech, Dalinar gives the signal, and Shallan drops the disguise. Ten glowing sets of shardplate appear, ten glorious shardblades gleam with holy light. The time has come. The Oathpact is over. Humanity will make its final stand, and it will be victorious! 

Just now, Ironeyes said:

Dalinar stands atop a large rock, analyzing the enemy and devising a strategy. Kaladin gives a motivating speech to the troops while Shallan listens with half an hear because she's busy maintaining an illusion so that the Parshendi don't notice the ambush. Lift doesn't even bother to listen with half an ear, because, well, she's Lift. To the side, Jasnah rests, recovering from the stress of Elsecalling all of them to this place, while Szeth listens intently to Kaladin's words, fiddling with the clasp on Nightblood's sheath. 

The time finally comes. Kaladin finishes his speech, Dalinar gives the signal, and Shallan drops the disguise. Ten glowing sets of shardplate appear, ten glorious shardblades gleam with holy light. The time has come. The Oathpact is over. Humanity will make its final stand, and it will be victorious! 

I love you! Really, this MUST happen!

Didn't Szeth lash the balcony beneath Gavilar? Then, assuming what you said is correct (I'm not doubting you, but I haven't read the books in a long time), you can lash a part of an object or group of objects that sees itself as a whole. Could you lash someone's body to the ground, lash his head to the sky, and rip his head off?

1 hour ago, 8giraffe8 said:

Didn't Szeth lash the balcony beneath Gavilar? Then, assuming what you said is correct (I'm not doubting you, but I haven't read the books in a long time), you can lash a part of an object or group of objects that sees itself as a whole. Could you lash someone's body to the ground, lash his head to the sky, and rip his head off?

Yes, he did lash the balcony towards the ground. I guess it really has to with how objects view themselves cognitively. The balcony saw itself separately enough from the main building. Someone's head... I doubt it could be separately lashed. Too much cognitive identity connecting the two, making them one.

35 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Yes, he did lash the balcony towards the ground. I guess it really has to with how objects view themselves cognitively. The balcony saw itself separately enough from the main building. Someone's head... I doubt it could be separately lashed. Too much cognitive identity connecting the two, making them one.

Well, maybe you can separate them with hemalurgy and then decapitate the guy

While we are on the subject of lashing. We  know that Kaladin can lash things in different ways, but what is his 2nd ability? Shallan can light weave and soul cast. Jasnah can soul cast and something else. Jasnah actually says that each order has two surges... (think that's the right term) So far all I've noticed Kaladin doing, is manipulating gravity... Am I over looking his other ability? I thought maybe healing, but Shallan does that too, so it's just a side effect of stormligh... With him being a surgeon, his most fitting 2nd ability would be regrowth. Some sort of healing ability anyway. 

9 minutes ago, DarkJester said:

While we are on the subject of lashing. We  know that Kaladin can lash things in different ways, but what is his 2nd ability? Shallan can light weave and soul cast. Jasnah can soul cast and something else. Jasnah actually says that each order has two surges... (think that's the right term) So far all I've noticed Kaladin doing, is manipulating gravity... Am I over looking his other ability? I thought maybe healing, but Shallan does that too, so it's just a side effect of stormligh... With him being a surgeon, his most fitting 2nd ability would be regrowth. Some sort of healing ability anyway. 

The Surges they get relate to their order, not their personalities (though those lead to them being chosen for their order, so there's still some connection). Kaladin's Surges as a Windrunner are Gravitation and Adhesion. We see him stick things (and people) to other things quite a bit, especially while practicing with Rock, Lopen, and I forgot who was writing it all down.

20 minutes ago, DarkJester said:

His second ability is called Adhesion. It is a bit confusing because is it referred to as a Full Lashing in the books. It is what allows Kaladin/Szeth to stick objects together. 

Personally, I don't think either character has fully understood what they are doing when they do it and have confused that power with Gravitation, hence the misleading name of Full Lashing.

Interestingly, there is a WoB that "Pressure" might be a better term for Adhesion. 

Edit: After researching a bit, I suspect that the shockwaves that Kaladin emitted each time he said an Oath, might be related to Adhesion/ "Atmospheric Pressure". We haven't seen that shockwave appear with any other Radiant. 

Edited by shadowwisp

5 hours ago, DarkJester said:

Jasnah has Transformation and Transportation (her other ability is known as elsecalling, she can transport herself physically into Shadesmar or to places), Lift has friction and progression, Ym, Renarin, and maybe Stump have Illumination and progression, Shallan has Illumination and transformation, Nale (if he is indeed the one who recovered his blade) has gravitation and division, Dalinar will have adhesion and tension, Taln would have Tension and cohesion

• Chaos locked this topic