2016-12-06 [Arcanum Unbounded] Herald Washington Library Center - Chicago, IL

Volratho

34 minutes ago, Patar said:

I wonder how going after Devotion and Dominion helped Odium find Ambition?

Strictly speaking, it didn't have to. Comes to Sel, Splinters D&D, goes home, finds Ambition some time later.

However, Bavadin could've helped.

27 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

If this is true, Devotion was probably number two on his hit list

Not sure. Ruin would've been #2 on my hit list.  Devotion by itself is unlikely to try to stop me, Ruin though can do some serious damage.

Edited by emailanimal

The final word of Brandon from the googledoc:

The Shards split up for a reason, is what they think, and they should continue to be split up, and we should not dabble in bringing them back together.

So, Brandon chooses to describe the 17th Shard mission (or their own perception of their mission) in these specific terms... And the  17th Shard  is unhappy with Hoid, are looking for him... Want to prevent him from "interfering"...  So could it really be that Hoid wants to combine the Shards again??

It's a variant of the popular "Hoid wants to restore Adonalsium" theory, but did Brandon just inadvertently confirm it?  

4 hours ago, emailanimal said:

The final word of Brandon from the googledoc:

So, Brandon chooses to describe the 17th Shard mission (or their own perception of their mission) in these specific terms... And the  17th Shard  is unhappy with Hoid, are looking for him... Want to prevent him from "interfering"...  So could it really be that Hoid wants to combine the Shards again??

It's a variant of the popular "Hoid wants to restore Adonalsium" theory, but did Brandon just inadvertently confirm it?  

That's not the way I interpreted it. I think they want each Shard to stay separate on its own planet, and not team up or interact. Hoid has Investiture from multiple Shards, people can figure out how to worldhop by watching him (like maybe Rock). Not quite like Star Trek's Prime Directive, but somewhat similar - let each Shard have its own world and forget the rest of them even exist. Bringing the common cold was a violation of the Seventeenth Shard's protocol; but, that has nothing to do with Adonalsium (barring some bizarre edge cases), and more about taking things from one world to another.

But, I do like the angle you took, and it's definitely possible. I would expect him to be very slippery when it comes to nailing him down on this, but we'll see.

10 hours ago, Landis963 said:
11 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

Thought a little more about this. If each other the powers combined makes a Resonance, what kind of crazy Resonances would the Lord Ruler have had? Would each combination make one Resonance, or would all combinations together make only one? If your theory about Feruchemical gold and Allomantic bendalloy is true, then the Lord Ruler wouldn't have needed to use Atuim, unless the Resonance is different, or all of the combinations just give one Resonance.

8 hours ago, Landis963 said:

I don't think TLR ever had Resonances - he started with too many powers to get a Resonance between his feruchemic powers, and then rebuilt himself as both a Feruchemist (with all the powers) and a Mistborn (with all the powers).  1 "all the powers" crowds out Resonances to begin with (which is why neither Vin nor Sazed ever had any odd "perks" or "passives"), and TLR had two of those.  I'll try and find the quote, IIRC it's a fairly recent one.  

You're correct about the WoB.

Source:

YataVS:
There is something that recently was debade by some fans and I hope you may give some clue about the "side effect of interaction between magic" as was pointed in the Twinborn and Surgebinder Cases: Are those "perks" stackable ? To say if I am a Fullborn like Rashek, wil I have all the possible Twinborn's perks or a specific "Fullborn's perk" ? And about the same topic, a Mistborn or Full Feruchemist has his own perk/perks ?

Brandon:
I've worked under the premise that if you hold too many of the powers, like a Mistborn, the result is a loss of these little quirks. The mechanics of it are interesting, but I'll leave you to theorize on that sort of thing.

I am not certain about my interpretation of this one:

[14:32]
Q: Have we seen cameos of Heralds on other Shardworlds?
Brandon: The Heralds are tied to the system by the magic that permeates them. They could not leave. It’s part of the magic. Some would call them Cognitive Shadows, right? Whether they are or not. ‘Cognitive Shadow’ is a very ambiguous term in the Cosmere. It means, basically your soul-- Investiture replaced your soul, and permeated your soul, and your soul continues to exist, but you are usually Invested with something, that’s tied, and you’re basically like pure Investiture then. You’re tied to the thing you’re Connected to. Most of the things that you’re gonna see like that, travelling is going to be very difficult, unless you know how to do it. You have seen people do it.
Q: Ooooh…
Brandon: Vasher.
Q: Sure, sure.
A: You have seen people do it.

Is he saying that Vasher, whose Divine Breath is a Splinter and he himself is (kind of?) a Cognitive Shadow, has obviously figured out a way around the "Cognitive Shadows are anchored to the world of their investiture" restriction?

5 minutes ago, Argent said:

Is he saying that Vasher, whose Divine Breath is a Splinter and he himself is (kind of?) a Cognitive Shadow, has obviously figured out a way around the "Cognitive Shadows are anchored to the world of their investiture" restriction?

Sounds like it.

6 minutes ago, Argent said:

I would venture that given how unique the situation might be with the Heralds and original terms of the Oathpact, they might function a little differently than other CS we have seen, as we know Shades have possibly come into contact the Ire

18 minutes ago, Argent said:

FYI we recently got that Returned are indeed cognitive shadows, if that was a point of confusion. So yeah that sounds like Vasher had to figure out a way off-world.

Edited by Kurkistan

7 minutes ago, Kurkistan said:

FYI we recently got that Returned are indeed cognitive shadows, if that was a point of confusion. So yeah that sounds like Vasher had to figure out a way off-world.

It's one of the things I really wish I had asked for a clarification about. I don't fully understand the original WoB on this one.

This one sticks out to me:

Thunderclasts have chasmfiend… they’re part of the in-world inspiration for thunderclasts… It’s an introduction of gemhearts and things like this, and the ability of certain creatures to hold investiture permanently, as Szeth says, rather than it seeping away like it does to humans.

I thought we'd been told that Szeth was wrong and the idea of holding Stormlight perfectly was a myth. Guess not! The "permanently" makes me wonder if there are things like thunderclasts waiting in stasis somewhere since the last desolation. You can watch for and guard against the newly transforming voidbringers, maybe even keep arriving Odium spren away, but any safe zone you establish may already be compromised.

Edited by ccstat

16 minutes ago, ccstat said:

This one sticks out to me:

I thought we'd been told that Szeth was wrong and the idea of holding Stormlight perfectly was a myth. Guess not! The "permanently" makes me wonder if there are things like thunderclasts waiting in stasis somewhere since the last desolation. You can watch for and guard against the newly transforming voidbringers, maybe even keep arriving Odium spren away, but any safe zone you establish may already be compromised.

I am pretty sure nothing has changed here - we do have a couple of WoBs that it's not really perfect, just really really good. It might be a matter if thousands of years before it leaks out, but it will leak out.

Okay I have good news, slightly sad news, and bad news...

Good news - I just got the file from the library.

Slightly sad news - It is audio only, I know someone at some point mentioned video, but they did not record any.

Bad news - The audio did not pick up the audience asking the questions very well.

On the plus side Brandon does repeat the questions a lot of the time. I will post the unedited file here, and maybe see if I can work on increasing crown volume over the weekend if I can.

I do have the Audio of Brandon's speech and also the reading, but Brandon has asked that I let @PeterAhlstrom look those over before I post them.

Enjoy:  General Q&A - Unedited

Yeah, I'm listening right now and I can't hear a word of the audience. 

PS. I'd love to help transcribe this but it's finals season... hopefully I can help with transcribing something next month

Edited by Ironeyes
didn't want to double post

The questions were difficult to pick up in the first place, not everyone projects their voice by default :) So I doubt my recording would've picked them up (not to mention that I think I had my mic covered for like half of the Q&A...). I'll upload my file in a bit.

Alright, stuff's uploading right now. You can get all of my recordings here (though maybe not at this very moment, because it's still uploading). #1 is the reading + Q&A, #2 is pre-Mama Jen outside Q&A, and #3 is post-Mama Jen outside Q&A.

Sorry for not organizing this a little better, but I am in a bit of a rush at the moment.

One more that puzzles me:

Shard of Ambition have anything to do with the Bondsmith, no, good question. I see what you guys are getting at, who’s the third Bondsmith.

My stress is on third... Have we found out something about the second Bondsmith before that I have missed? Or is it so assumed that the second Bondsmith bonds Nightwatcher that it goes without saying?

2 hours ago, emailanimal said:

One more that puzzles me:

My stress is on third... Have we found out something about the second Bondsmith before that I have missed? Or is it so assumed that the second Bondsmith bonds Nightwatcher that it goes without saying?

That's how I read it, as we had the WoB from the Calamity tour about the SF and NW in terms of Spren level