2016-12-06 [Arcanum Unbounded] Herald Washington Library Center - Chicago, IL

Volratho

Just now, Khyrindor said:

I'm only 6 minutes into the Outside Q&A and there's already so much stuff.

Some of us would've stayed there until our hands could no longer hold the recording devices. Keep in mind, this Q&A was very much for the hardcore fans there, so there should be very little that you find boring :)

You might also be able to hear some teeth rattling towards the end.

Just now, Argent said:

Some of us would've stayed there until our hands could no longer hold the recording devices. Keep in mind, this Q&A was very much for the hardcore fans there, so there should be very little that you find boring :)

You might also be able to hear some teeth rattling towards the end.

Yep, I've already listened to it a couple times.

I remember that happening at the end of his signing in Calgary a couple years ago, there were maybe six of us that stayed after the line and each got a few extra questions in. Really appreciative of Brandon for being so devoted to his fans like this!

3 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

Yep, I've already listened to it a couple times.

I remember that happening at the end of his signing in Calgary a couple years ago, there were maybe six of us that stayed after the line and each got a few extra questions in. Really appreciative of Brandon for being so devoted to his fans like this!

Oh, he does that. But we had like 20 people there - some of which, including but not limited to @FirstSelector - kept skipping my turn for questions. So I'll need to cull their numbers for next year...

Argent: Right, sure, but they need to be somewhere to view those things.

Brandon: Right, I didn’t say that that’s from the perspective Silverlight, but the picture is hanging there.

@Argent: this is something worth mentioning as well. For a while, it looks like the going theory was that the view was from Silverlight. Brandon appears to imply strongly that the view is from a different place....

Edited by emailanimal

1 minute ago, emailanimal said:

@Argent: this is something worth mentioning as well. For a while, it looks like the going theory was that the view was from Silverlight. Brandon appears to imply strongly that the view is from a different place....

It also kind of sounds to me like he almost confirmed that there wasn't a Perpendicularity there, but caught himself, rushed his words a bit before stopping and saying "Silverlight is really weird"

54 minutes ago, iceblade44 said:

So Nazh is originally Isaac's character. Wow for that just seem's awesome. Does this mean that the Cosmere could open up to other peoples stories? 

Didn't Isaac write the broadsheet for BoM (at least the Nazh story in it)? Not sure if that would qualify, but still!

Oh yeah ..I forgot

I asked Brandon another question that didn't get written down in a book

I asked him : did Denth ever go to Scadrial ?

his response was (as best I can remember / as close to verbatim as I can get) :

Brandon : so Scadrial is easy to get to ..I'll just say Denth has been to Roshar but didn't do much travelling ....

Q: When someone is Spiked, and dies, does that affect the time they spend in the Cognitive?

Brandon: Yes, because if you’re extra Invested, which Spiking technically does, if you have a Spike stapling a bit of someone else’s soul to yours--

Q: The other way. Someone Spikes into you--

Brandon: Ohhhhh, oh okay, no, that might make you go faster.

Q: Is that why Harmony doesn’t know who’s Spiking people?

Brandon: Hmm. Yeah. I had not considered that. But yeah, sure. Suuureee. You’ve added to the canon. I mean, the actual answer was, when you’re Spiking somebody, you’re ripping of the soul, so kind of, there’s not enough left to talk. I mean, you’re ripping off the soul, so it’s a bad thing. A really bad thing. So you go ‘who killed you’ and it’s just somebody who… But yes, they would go faster too.

Wow...It seems that my idea was quite right after all, good to know :ph34r:

On 12/7/2016 at 2:43 PM, What's a Seawolf? said:

Random thought:  Could Wayne's be his ability to mimic speech patterns?  I know a popular Lift theory her 'bonus' is understanding languages, but why can't Wayne have something similar?  I think it even fits with the whole time dilation/healing (changing) your body thing he has going on.

To take this back to Wayne for a moment: could his be how well he controls where his speed bubble is and whom it affects? It's been awhile since I've read this, but I can recall several situations where Wax and Wayne are very close to other people, but Wayne only brings in Wax. I imagine the same is very true when Wayne is using speed bubbles to fight. To only catch one person in a speed bubble in the chaos of a fight seems challenging. 

3 minutes ago, IntentAwesome said:

To take this back to Wayne for a moment: could his be how well he controls where his speed bubble is and whom it affects? It's been awhile since I've read this, but I can recall several situations where Wax and Wayne are very close to other people, but Wayne only brings in Wax. I imagine the same is very true when Wayne is using speed bubbles to fight. To only catch one person in a speed bubble in the chaos of a fight seems challenging. 

I imagine that just takes skill and practice with speed bubbles, I don't see anything abnormal about what he does.

37 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:
1 hour ago, dvoraen said:

RE: Wayne's savantism.  There IS a possible ability he gains at the intersection of gold-Feruchemy and bendalloy-Allomancy:

- Reducing or halting the aging process.

Ooooh... this would be helpful for the Wayne/MeLaan ship.

I am officially sold on this idea.  Always thought, if Wayne survives and does go the Worldhopping route (which let's face it is something he would ABSOLUTELY do,) that he'd get turned into a kandra somehow.  I like this way better.

3 hours ago, Yata said:

3 hours ago, Yata said:

Q: When someone is Spiked, and dies, does that affect the time they spend in the Cognitive?

Brandon: Yes, because if you’re extra Invested, which Spiking technically does, if you have a Spike stapling a bit of someone else’s soul to yours--

Q: The other way. Someone Spikes into you--

Brandon: Ohhhhh, oh okay, no, that might make you go faster.

Q: Is that why Harmony doesn’t know who’s Spiking people?

Brandon: Hmm. Yeah. I had not considered that. But yeah, sure. Suuureee. You’ve added to the canon. I mean, the actual answer was, when you’re Spiking somebody, you’re ripping of the soul, so kind of, there’s not enough left to talk. I mean, you’re ripping off the soul, so it’s a bad thing. A really bad thing. So you go ‘who killed you’ and it’s just somebody who… But yes, they would go faster too.

Well I guess that may finally answer why Harmony didn't know the governor had died in SoS.  Was working on a theory that Shards could basically steal the souls of those who died and what it meant for Roshar, but this explanation is a lot simpler.  

(Apologies for the formatting of this post, I have no idea how my responses appeared within the quoted sections.  Tried to separate them but no luck.)

Edited by What's a Seawolf?
Attempt to fix formatting

3 hours ago, dvoraen said:

RE: Wayne's savantism.  There IS a possible ability he gains at the intersection of gold-Feruchemy and bendalloy-Allomancy:

- Reducing or halting the aging process.

Thought a little more about this. If each other the powers combined makes a Resonance, what kind of crazy Resonances would the Lord Ruler have had? Would each combination make one Resonance, or would all combinations together make only one? If your theory about Feruchemical gold and Allomantic bendalloy is true, then the Lord Ruler wouldn't have needed to use Atuim, unless the Resonance is different, or all of the combinations just give one Resonance.

3 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

Thought a little more about this. If each other the powers combined makes a Resonance, what kind of crazy Resonances would the Lord Ruler have had? Would each combination make one Resonance, or would all combinations together make only one? If your theory about Feruchemical gold and Allomantic bendalloy is true, then the Lord Ruler wouldn't have needed to use Atuim, unless the Resonance is different, or all of the combinations just give one Resonance.

There is the fact that the Lord Ruler didn't have access to a number of metals, such as bendalloy.  Pulsers, Sliders and Leechers were all unknown in the World of Ash.  I think Compounding atium was still a necessity for him, even if he knew about what other metals did from using the Well.

Just now, dvoraen said:

There is the fact that the Lord Ruler didn't have access to a number of metals, such as bendalloy.  Pulsers, Sliders and Leechers were all unknown in the World of Ash.  I think Compounding atium was still a necessity for him, even if he knew about what other metals did from using the Well.

Got me there, I didn't even remember that.

1 hour ago, Khyrindor said:

I don't think TLR ever had Resonances - he started with too many powers to get a Resonance between his feruchemic powers, and then rebuilt himself as both a Feruchemist (with all the powers) and a Mistborn (with all the powers).  1 "all the powers" crowds out Resonances to begin with (which is why neither Vin nor Sazed ever had any odd "perks" or "passives"), and TLR had two of those.  I'll try and find the quote, IIRC it's a fairly recent one.  

Brandon: He went after Ambition first, but didn’t find Ambition until after going after Devotion and Dominion. But Ambition was number one on his hit list.

This strikes me as somewhat interesting. I think it would be reasonable to assume Odium would go after Ambition first, but Ambition must have been smart enough to hide for a little while. I wonder how going after Devotion and Dominion helped Odium find Ambition? Maybe the vessel for Ambition cared for Aona or Skai, and Odium attacked them in order to draw Ambition out? 

Also, this may be a dumb question, or have been answered before, but if a Shard is splintered, do we know that means the Shard or the vessel is dead? 

2 minutes ago, Patar said:

Brandon: He went after Ambition first, but didn’t find Ambition until after going after Devotion and Dominion. But Ambition was number one on his hit list.

This strikes me as somewhat interesting. I think it would be reasonable to assume Odium would go after Ambition first, but Ambition must have been smart enough to hide for a little while. I wonder how going after Devotion and Dominion helped Odium find Ambition? Maybe the vessel for Ambition cared for Aona or Skai, and Odium attacked them in order to draw Ambition out? 

Also, this may be a dumb question, or have been answered before, but if a Shard is splintered, do we know that means the Shard or the vessel is dead? 

1. I don't think going after Devotion and Dominion necessarily helped Odium find Ambition, he probably ran into them, or gave up on his search. I made a theory a while back about Odium's decision to Splinter Devotion, I think it is likely that Devotion and Odium are a Shardic pairing/opposite, one involving love, and one involving hate. If this is true, Devotion was probably number two on his hit list, so he probably figured he'd take care of them while waiting to hear from Ambition.

2. I remember a WoB about that, but I can't remember what it says. I think it may have been possible for a Vessel to survive afterward, but in weird ways. In part, their Cognitive Shadow sticks around, like the Stormfather/Tanavast. I imagine that's what's happening on Sel, and wherever Ambition was Splintered as well.