Astronomy categories

thegatorgirl00

I noticed that there are multiple categories for different astronomical things that seem to have a lot of overlap and are unnecessary. The Celestial bodies category is almost exactly the same as the Shardworlds category. There is also a Cosmere astronomy category which seems like it should be the same as the Celestial bodies category, but instead mostly has things in the Planetary systems category and a few redirects. I think it would make sense to merge the Celestial bodies and Cosmere astronomy categories, and then make planetary systems and shardworlds both subcategories of the merged category.

EDIT: I also think the main category should be called Physical Realm so that it's consistent with the page.

Edited by Ookla the gatorgirl00

So we definitely need to do some re-organizing with this stuff, but I do think we should keep both Celestial bodies and Cosmere astronomy as categories. Namely because we like to think ahead and we already know of at least one story set in space (which will likely include a number of Celestial bodies) that may or may not be a part of the Cosmere. If it isn't then we can't use just "Cosmere astronomy" or "Physical Realm" as a category. Does that make sense?

the question is if we want to group all space things together as a 'type' over grouping the cosmere (or other series specific) space things together. I kinda see the latter being more useful compared to the more-generic categories?

Side question... It's weird to me that the physical realm article is basically all astronomy. I know there's probably not a whole lot of interesting things to say about the Physical Realm, but I feel like it should focus more on what that term means and how it relates to the other realms. With maybe a brief astronomy section. Anyone else agree?

Edited by jofwu

On 12/3/2016 at 3:13 PM, jofwu said:

Side question... It's weird to me that the physical realm article is basically all astronomy. I know there's probably not a whole lot of interesting things to say about the Physical Realm, but I feel like it should focus more on what that term means and how it relates to the other realms. With maybe a brief astronomy section. Anyone else agree?

We moved it there because there was an article created, named Astronomy, which we moved to Physical Realm, as we felt Astronomy was a very vague name for the subject matter.

I'm honestly not sure what I'd prefer to do with it. I don't think this is particularly optimal either. I feel like that article could (mostly) be merged into the main cosmere article, which I intend to finish my update of in the next two weeks. The cosmere article could mention each system and other big celestial things, like the Scar, and then for more details on each system, we put it in its respective system page? Since we are having system pages, having this "PhysicalRealm"/Astronomy overview page does not seem useful. What do you think on that? I'm trying to figure out exactly how to lay out what should be the updated "Planets" section on the cosmere article and I think this is the solution to this problem.

EDIT: As a note, the cosmere page is going to be cut back on Scadrial stuff, so I don't think more astronomy stuff will be bad. It's relevant. (Not that length is bad, but on a page that big it is important to stay focused, and in my initial draft I didn't hit that mark.)

Edited by Chaos

Since we are having system pages, having this "PhysicalRealm"/Astronomy overview page does not seem useful.

I was imagining a "cosmere astronomy" page; basically what's already there, but renamed so that there's room for some kind of actual Physical Realm page. But this makes way more sense. With all of the system pages, a detailed overview of them all in one page doesn't make sense. The cosmere article would bridge that gap well I think.

1 hour ago, jofwu said:

I was imagining a "cosmere astronomy" page; basically what's already there, but renamed so that there's room for some kind of actual Physical Realm page. But this makes way more sense. With all of the system pages, a detailed overview of them all in one page doesn't make sense. The cosmere article would bridge that gap well I think.

I feel like the Realmatic-centric approach should just go on the Realmatic Theory page for now, right?

What do you mean "the Realmatic-centric approach"?

My understanding is that you'll summarize the current "Physical Realm" page into a section on the "Cosmere" page.

I don't know if we need a Physical Realm page (about the nature of the physical realm) after that... It feels strange not to have one, but maybe it should just redirect to the Physical Realm section on the Realmatic Theory page? I don't know if there's enough to be said about the Physical Realm to support a whole article or not...