Cognition of the Taldain System

skaa

The title is in reference to @RShara's Physics of the Taldain System thread. This is a sort of counterpart of that thread that we can use to speculate on Taldain's Cognitive Realm.

Just as in the Physical Realm, the binary star system around Taldain leads to interesting questions in the Cognitive Realm. First, there is the general question of whether the Cognitive Realm's sun corresponds to the sun in the Physical Realm. Like, are Worldhoppers seeing the soul of the sun? If so, then Darkside Worldhoppers will see a different sun from Dayside Worldhoppers.

The Darkside Cognitive Realm sky would probably be free of the "particulate ring" that Khriss mentioned, so they'd see their "sun" unhindered. I really like @Glamdring's theory that the "white dwarf" is actually a black hole and that the particulate ring is the accretion disk. If that's true, I wonder what a black hole looks like in the Cognitive Realm. :)

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

Hear! Hear! @PallonianFire. I can't see why this was not acknowledged better on the other thread. It is almost so obvious that people seem to e trying to make it harder. I'm not sure why...

To the theory, I think we have to stick with what we were given. No black hole. Why would the dust cloud be gone? No explanation there. If the cloud can be seen in the physical, people are aware and thinking it exists, so it should exist in the CR. Further, people in the CR do not see the all light as souls. Just souls, metal and investiture. Since we do not know where that is on Taldain, (I know the theories about sun, atmosphere, etc.) and they have very little metal, (see the text), and Kelsier does not mention any celestial bodies. I don't know what they would see in the sky. Do you? 

6 hours ago, 1stBondsmith said:

Why would the dust cloud be gone? No explanation there.

Sorry, I keep on forgetting that what is obvious to me might not be for others. Let me explain. The souls of the particulate ring would not appear on Taldain's Cognitive Realm sky because even if each particle in the particulate ring has a strong enough Cognitive aspect to appear on the Cognitive Realm (which I doubt), they would obviously not be on the Taldainian Cognitive Realm, but on some other (possibly adjacent) space on the Cognitive land, just as every other non-star celestial object is laid out.

6 hours ago, 1stBondsmith said:

Further, people in the CR do not see the all light as souls. Just souls, metal and investiture. Since we do not know where that is on Taldain, (I know the theories about sun, atmosphere, etc.) and they have very little metal, (see the text), and Kelsier does not mention any celestial bodies. I don't know what they would see in the sky. Do you? 

Stormlight and Secret History spoilers:

Spoiler

Perhaps you haven't read the Stormlight Archive yet, but we get to see several clues about the Cognitive Realm there, as two viewpoint characters have been there several times. First, metal does not glow on the Rosharan Cognitive Realm. This indicates that each region in the Cognitive Realm land has its own quirks. I believe these quirks can be predicted to a certain degree, as I implied in my Shardworld Essences theory, but I'll save my theory on Taldain's Cognitive land for later, after you understand my point about the Cognitive sky.

Second, the Rosharan Cognitive sky is different from Scadrian Cognitive sky, but both have a tinier sun than in the Physical Realm (maybe it is the Physical sun's soul, or something else entirely), and both exhibit atmospheric patterns that differ from the Physical Realm. For example, there is no ash falling from the sky on the Scadrian Cognitive Realm, it's just thick clouds up there. On the Rosharan Cognitive Realm, clouds form a narrow ribbon that stream towards the tiny sun on a black sky.

So yeah, the things that people see in the sky on the Physical Realm are not what they see in the Cognitive Realm's sky. That's another reason why I don't think the particulate ring on the Darkside sky will be visible there. That is also why I stated that the sun on Cognitive is the same as sun on Physical in a speculative manner in the OP, because we are not certain of that yet.

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

On 12/02/2016 at 0:53 PM, 1stBondsmith said:

Hear! Hear! @PallonianFire. I can't see why this was not acknowledged better on the other thread. It is almost so obvious that people seem to e trying to make it harder. I'm not sure why...

Huh? What does "Expanse of the Broken Sky" have to do with Taldain's orbital physics?

One side of Taldain gets the light from the blue star, with its radiation giving investiture to the lichen on the sand. The planet is surrounded by a ring of storm clouds, that looks to be paralleling the lunar orbit. Then the other side is NOT exposed to the blue star, but to the dark star with lots of UV light. One side, bright lights, broken in the middle with the storm ring, and the other side with the different wavelength light and features. Seems a ringer for the Broken Sky to me. 

On 12/3/2016 at 8:23 PM, jofwu said:

Huh? What does "Expanse of the Broken Sky" have to do with Taldain's orbital physics?

It has to do with the fact that the sky there is literally broken in two, and half the world has the cognitive impression of a dark sky while the other half has a light sky. Hence, Broken Sky.

On 12/14/2016 at 7:25 PM, PallonianFire said:

It has to do with the fact that the sky there is literally broken in two, and half the world has the cognitive impression of a dark sky while the other half has a light sky. Hence, Broken Sky.

I read through the graphic novel at the library and had to go back to get another look after reading the posts. The whole thing makes more sense now. Sanderson's world is more complicated than I thought... I love it!