Is Allomancy really of Preservation

I actually think that this argument is valid. Preservation seeks to maintain what is, Ruin seeks to destroy, Harmony seeks to combine the two to create. Feruchemy preserves attributes to be accessed at a later date. Hemalurgy seeks to destroy people in order to steal attributes, attributes reduced in the process. Allomancy destroys one thing (metal) but creates another in the process. That sounds like Harmony to me! 

However, time will tell how this theory plays out. I feel like Brandon will reveal it if it becomes relevant to the story.

2 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Preservation seeks to maintain what is, Ruin seeks to destroy, Harmony seeks to combine the two to create. Feruchemy preserves attributes to be accessed at a later date. Hemalurgy seeks to destroy people in order to steal attributes, attributes reduced in the process. Allomancy destroys one thing (metal) but creates another in the process.

We explained this in earlier posts. The main thing is that Preservation is about keeping someone the same forever. Feruchemy doesn't do that, since a person has to weaken themselves in the process. However, allomancy does, since by Preservation giving them power, they preserve their own personal strength.

The way I'm kind of seeing it, while feruchemy does sort of preserve parts of your innate investiture (or whatever they actually use for odd things like muscle mass and calories), it outright separates them from you in the process to store them externally. Preservation through a ruinous means. Allomancy keeps your innate investiture completely untouched and is if anything trying to plug investiture into a gaping hole that was left in your soul (which does actually damage your soul further if continuously flared, but user error can't really be blamed for things like this).

Hemalurgy being the indisputable one that just tears souls apart.

• Chaos locked this topic