Could the Ghostbloods be part of the 17th Shard?

Carolus Rex

1 hour ago, Joshua Sharp said:

I have been looking on the coppermind recently, and I noticed that two of the leaders we know of the Ghostbloods are WorldHoppers, so I was wondering if the Ghostbloods, or at least some of the leaders, could be part of the 17th Shard?

Possibly. But 17th Shard isn't the only worldhopping organization out there, so the fact that the Ghostbloods can worldhop doesn't mean much with regards to their connection.

It was confirmed recently that the 17th Shard adheres to non-intervention, so I doubt the Ghostbloods are associated.

Exact WoB

BRANDON SANDERSON

The 17th Shard is about nonintervention, but they're not doing so great a job, seeing as they took the common cold to Roshar.

23 hours ago, Blightsong said:

It was confirmed recently that the 17th Shard adheres to non-intervention, so I doubt the Ghostbloods are associated.

Exact WoB

BRANDON SANDERSON

The 17th Shard is about nonintervention, but they're not doing so great a job, seeing as they took the common cold to Roshar.

On an unrelated note, I think it's really funny that they accidentally spread diseases around from shardworld to shardworld. I've always loved the possibilities of worldhoppers (intentionally or not) introducing new technologies, culture, etc. throughout the Cosmere.  For whatever reason, I imagine that Hoid would like chowta, and I have this very goofy image in my head of

Spoiler

Worldbringer Terrismen 

just munching on chowta in their robes. 

On 12/1/2016 at 0:46 PM, Blightsong said:

Exact WoB

BRANDON SANDERSON

This.

That is to say, for this very reason, I am certain that the Ghostbloods are not part of the 17th Shard.  So far, folks we have seen representing the 17ths Shard use terms like "dule" and "friend" when talking to people.  Ghostbloods try to kill Jasnah. Doesn't look like the same MO.

33 minutes ago, emailanimal said:

So far, folks we have seen representing the 17ths Shard use terms like "dule" and "friend" when talking to people.  Ghostbloods try to kill Jasnah. Doesn't look like the same MO.

Hi "friend", allow me to clean your insides with my knife. Can I interest you in our new, 100% deadly, strawberry jam?

Edited by Spoolofwhool

I'm with @emailanimal. The Ghostbloods are like the anti-17th Shard. That doesn't mean there's no connection. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that one or more members of the Ghostbloods used to be part of the 17th Shard or even that the group started as a reaction against them.

Heck, maybe the Shard and the Ghostbloods used to be the same organization, assuming that the non-interventionist policy was adopted over time (which Frost may be implying when he says, "Is not the destruction we have wrought enough? The worlds you now tread bear the touch and design of Adonalsium. Our interference so far has brought nothing but pain," though the interference he refers to could just be the Shattering itself), and the dissidents who thought that they should actively influence the Shardworlds broke off into their own group. 

I think we need to know more about the Ghostbloods and their goals before any informed theories can be crafted, but the idea that they are the opposite of the 17th Shard (perhaps intentionally so) is something interesting to keep in mind.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:46 PM, Blightsong said:

Exact WoB

BRANDON SANDERSON

At the end of the WoR they mention a plague in purelake, and it just so happens the the 17th shard was at purelake trying to find Hoid, coincidence?

5 minutes ago, Nightblade said:

At the end of the WoR they mention a plague in purelake, and it just so happens the the 17th shard was at purelake trying to find Hoid, coincidence?

That is indeed what Brandon is referencing. Those three 17th Sharders brought the 'plague' there. People don't get sick very often on Roshar, so even a cold epidemic would seem like a plague to them. (Although, it might be a really bad cold, since it's a virus strain they don't have any immunity to.)

48 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

I saw another WoB about this where he says that because of the ambient Investiture (Light) the Rosharans are very healthy, and so this plague is a 'plague of the sniffles,' so it isn't a huge deal from our perspective.

I remember a WoB with similar wording, but it doesn't say that it was because of the amount of random investiture present, do you have a link?

2 hours ago, Djarskublar said:

I saw another WoB about this where he says that because of the ambient Investiture (Light) the Rosharans are very healthy, and so this plague is a 'plague of the sniffles,' so it isn't a huge deal from our perspective.

1 hour ago, Blightsong said:

I remember a WoB with similar wording, but it doesn't say that it was because of the amount of random investiture present, do you have a link?

The WoB just says Rosharans' investiture. Nothing to indicate whether it's ambient. Sounds more like innate investiture improving their physical, a very lower level compared to what stormlight does when drawn into the body.

WEIRY

Whether the plague on the Purelake has anything to do with the fact that the magic fish form symbiotic bonds with spren?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No. Worldhoppers brought a disease to Roshar that they didn't have before. It's the common cold. Rosharans' investiture makes it so they’re usually a healthy bunch so something like the cold is kind of frightening. "Its a plague of the sniffles”.

[Source]

• Chaos locked this topic