Can a Shard Be Held by Two Vessels at the Same Time?

VirtuousTraveller

Question

With a Pandora's Box opened with the new information about Autonomy, it made me wonder something about the Vessel-Shard relationship.  It doesn't make sense that an individual would ascend to Vesselship, only to hand the shard over to someone else - let alone this happening among a group of temporary Vessels.  BUT, do we have any information on the plausibility of a plurality of Vessels holding the same shard?  Vessel by committee if you will?

I ask this because of the complexity of Autonomy's involvement in the cosmere - male/female manifestations, a multiplicity of personas, entire pantheons, etc.

What do we know?

2 answers to this question

I don't think there is anything on the subject of a Shardic force being held by more than one intelligence. However, the original Shattering only created 16 Shards (and Hoid was there), so it seems to cast doubt on such a thing. Personally, I think it can be done, but it would require a very strong Connection between the potential Vessels (like twins, perhaps?). Otherwise it just goes to the most worthy recipient.

Autonomy seems to be a bit of a trickster god, so I'm not surprised she has a ton of alternate identities. 

I don't think 2 Vessels may hold together a Shard, with the possible exception of a Shard that with some method is been split in two sub-Shards (something like two colossal Splinters)...I imagine that Half of the power of a Shard is more than enough to Ascend, but the problem is in the "linking" method and the nature of a Splinter when the "mother Shard" is still whole (to say when Honor was alive, there were already honorspren...but they were both beings and part of a greater being).