2017-02-17 Boskone 54 - Boston, MA

BeskarKomrk

22 minutes ago, Extesian said:

@jofwu

Also, anyone else really struck by his explanation of honorspren and cultivationspren? I've been assuming that they are more closely associated with the shards in some way. But the way Brandon talked, that's not true at all. He made their names seem almost arbitrary.

Yeah this is interesting. It sounds like system is jointly Honor and Cultivation and perhaps what the spren think of themselves is simply what people think of them. So back in the KR days people thought of the powers a highspren gives and associate them with bonds, so then those spren think of themselves as being more of Honor. Or people think of the powers of an edgedancer as being about growth and the spren then identify with Cultivation.

Here's one that really interests me.

So firstly, that little soul bubble that things can get at. Is he saying that during elsecalling or shardpooling your soul is vulnerable to outside influence? And secondly, transferring into and popping out of investiture. Does this mean when you go into the cognitive realm through these means that you are actually becoming pure investiture?? I may have misunderstood but that fascinating to me. Especially in the context of the harmonium conversation and the idea that energy, matter and investiture can be converted to each other. Does this have energy release effects? I don't know i feel there's much more that can come out of this.

Something went badly wrong with my formatting in a post i put up and I couldn't fix it. I've hidden that post and amended this one. The bit in bold is talking about ye WoB below. Sorry for breaking the Internets :'(

[113:15] (Bromo_Sapien’s questions) What happens to physical body when you travel to Shadesmar.  

Q: When somebody travels into the cognitive realm, what happens to their physical self? To their body? Like Elsecalling or through a Shardpool?

A: Um, well it depends on the way they’re doing it. The two ways you’ve mentioned transport the physical body. It’s actually creating a rift and slipping them through. But there are other ways that you kind of peek in, where you’re body’s saying it’s a little more astral projection-y in those cases.

Q: So their physical self would also be in the cognitive realm?

A: Yes.

Q: Okay.

A: Which is weird.

Q: Yeah.

A: But yes, um...

Q: As opposed to somebody like Kelsier who died and no longer has a physical self.

A: Yes, right. Or when Shallan is soulcasting and peeking in, and things like this. Like… Um… It can still be dangerous, because what’s happening is that little soul bubble there that’s manifesting into a version of your soul and then things can get at it in different ways and stuff. So... But yes, going in physically means you just pop between realms, and yeah, yeah…

Q: And when they leave the cognitive realm their physical self just leaves the cognitive realm the same...

A: Yep, mhm, yep.

Q: Perfect.

A: Basically you’re transferring into investiture and popping out of investiture, so..

Edited by Extesian
Weird formatting problem

On 2/22/2017 at 8:35 AM, jofwu said:

19 hours ago, Botanica said:

Hey thanks for your answer: I was rude not to have answered before, but I didn't have enough time for it. I think if I merge all of Brandon's various answer, I can summarize the Passions aren't so much a religion as a way of life though their might individuals who treat them as if they were. It seems as if they do not require the worshiping of any deity, instead focusing on the inner will of an individual. Hence, if you put your mind within the right emotional frame, then you might achieve any endeavor. It might be why Navani calls Adolin out for putting so much faith into a ritual which might be akin to the beliefs of the follower of this movement.

The mentioning of sprens is interesting... They way Brandon phrased it, it almost seem as if you could get a Nahel bond just by wanting it strong enough... Did I read this right?

Now I have had more time to ponder on it, back to this particular WoB:

Q: Is being a Knight Radiant at all genetic? Because you have Jasnah, Dalinar, and Renarin in the same family.

A: It is not genetic, however… Um… Families or people close to one another are more likely. It’s not genetic. So for instance, if everyone were adopted it would still have the same prevalence.

Q: Okay, fascinating!

A: Um, so there--

Q: [interruption hard to hear]

A: Well, there are a couple of reasons for that. One is which, attracting the attention of a spren can mean that other spren are paying attention to that area. There are also things in the Cosmere (the shared universe of them) where people are connected spiritually. Um… and that’s part of the magic as well. So… You are more likely to become a Radiant if you know a Radiant.

This goes right inline with another previous WoB, but it is more complete. I am now left wondering about how many Radiant family there were and how common were they prior to the Recreance. I am also very curious to know what happens to the family members whom aren't chosen, not just those who might have fail to further progress, but those no living spren saw fit to start bonding... In other words, what happens when the sprens focus on a given family, but leave someone out? Did it break families in the past? Did the Radiants end up forming a new family, forgetting about their "unworthy black sheep"?

And well yes, I am wondering about the Kholins, but I am also curious about other families... About how the Nahel bond inserted itself within existing families. Did it rip them apart? 

I'd love of someone were able to ask it at a future signing.

Another interesting one:

Q: Lopen. Is he a squire, or does he actually have a spren?

A: He’s a squire. You’ll find out a lot more about what the squires are in the upcoming book. For most orders, squire were knights radiant potentially in training, so you can see what happens in the next book.

Nothing we didn't already know and/or guess. We already knew Lopen was a squire and it was easy to guess squires most likely were Radiants in training. It is great to have a form confirmation though. This also seriously makes me think this second Windrunner we were promises will most likely be an existing member of Bridge 4. We have all had our guess as to whom we think it might be. My personal favorite would be Teft, though the more I think of it, the more I wonder if he is truly suiting for a Windrunner...

Q: In the Stormlight Archive we saw the sword from Warbreaker and we also know that the royal line can change more than just their hair, will that come into play?

A: They can! What’s that?

Q: ... will that come into play?

A: That will come into play, keep your eyes open.

Alright, this really sounds like a solid confirmation of Vivenna posing as someone within SA.

8 hours ago, BeskarKomrk said:

I believe the Friday signing transcript is completed! @jofwu once I start transcribing the Sunday Q&A, I will add your transcription of the reading to the document. Or someone else can start it if they have the time. There's still a lot of work to be done here!

Should the reading transcript go in a separate document since it happened in the Saturday readings/Q&A?

7 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Q: What book should I read to have Ambition’s influence [? ? ?], or should I look for Ambition’s influence.

Not sure if you were commenting on the question or the answer, but since I had a hard time making this question out I've changed it to " [Something about where should I look to find Ambition’s influence]" in the transcript for now.

4 hours ago, jofwu said:

Is @DAdam's recording of the Sunday Signing up somewhere? The one linked in the first post ends abruptly and the transcript says he has more. But I don't see a link. :)

Not yet, but I'll try to get it up here before the end of this coming weekend. The sound quality's not pleasant to listen to, but it's good enough to transcribe from.

3 hours ago, maxal said:

So Jasnah is on the book cover... Interesting. I would have never guessed. I had hope it would have been someone else, but I guess it was too much to hope for.

I'm looking forward to speculating about the cover art when it's finally revealed since Brandon mentioned in the "building a career" panel that...

Spoiler

...he sent the last chapter of the book to Michael Whelan for him to base it off of.

@ccstat, I'll put together something about the Mistborn game in the next few days too (don't have much time tonight). Thanks for giving me some questions to work from.

3 minutes ago, DAdam said:

Not sure if you were commenting on the question or the answer, but since I had a hard time making this question out I've changed it to " [Something about where should I look to find Ambition’s influence]" in the transcript for now.

Oh, I was just pondering the implications of the answer, not anything with the specific wording. We have a super old pre-WoK WoB about having seen four Shards aside from R&P: interacted with two directly, one seen its power, and one seen its influence. They've since been ID'd as Endowment, Devotion, Dominion, and Odium, respectively. So, I wonder where we've seen Ambition's influence. Either it was so subtle Brandon didn't count it, or it's something we've seen in Stormlight, Mistorn Era 2, or the other novellas. It makes me wonder, actually, if maybe the Shardpool on First of the Sun is actually a piece of Ambition's power that he left behind...

I got 2 questions answered. Hoid does have unkeyed metalminds, although I thought he was going to give me an evasive answer there for a minute. He also confirmed that yes the ancient heralds were DIRECTLY powered by honor, albeit through their honorblades. This is confirmation that they didn't need to breath storm light, and sort of explains why they need so much more stormlight now. My brother wanted to know what would happen if one of the ancient heralds held an unsheathed nightblood. Which he RAFO'd much to no surprise from me. My girlfriend asked why stormlight makes things cold, which apparently has to do with water condensing all over the place, which makes things cold. For some reason the investiture causes the water to condense... I wonder why. 

Q: Who is your favorite character in any of your stories?

A: I don’t pick favorites. That’s like favorite children. It’s whoever I’m writing right now. [pause] My least favorite is Cadsuane, from the Wheel of Time. I can pick that.

That's interesting, especially because I thought he wrote Cadsuane well. But I wonder why he didn't like her since strong, forceful women aren't exactly unknown in his works. I mean, I don't necessarily see a huge difference in personality between Cadsuane and Jasnah.

Those were good questions.

I interpreted his response about frost to mean that (e.g.) condensing a shardblade into solid form is an endothermic process that pulls heat from its surroundings. Dismissed blades are frequently described as "puffing into mist" i.e. turning from solid to gas. Presumably, summoning one is the reverse process. By extension, other work done by stormlight would also be endothermic.

Most materials we are familiar with act exothermically when condensing, but it's not unheard of for the opposite to be true. It depends greatly where you are on the phase diagram, and since there is a large transfer of investiture involved we can assume that the regular physics are being overshadowed/influenced by some realmatic effect.

I've transcribed the Sunday reading Q&A session and added the transcription of the interlude reading to the document. Nothing too interesting there, only two Cosmere questions that were both RAFO. But it's still useful to know what people have asked so we don't waste time on the same questions.

Remaining to-do:

Complete the Rithmatist Q&A transcript

Complete the Sunday signing transcript

Check through the Sunday post-signing transcript for accuracy

I don't think I'm going to transcribe the Career panel if there are no Cosmere questions there. Probably is interesting to listen to though.

2 hours ago, The Flash said:

My girlfriend asked why stormlight makes things cold, which apparently has to do with water condensing all over the place, which makes things cold. For some reason the investiture causes the water to condense... I wonder why. 

I think he misinterpreted that question slightly. His answer seems to be primarily about who how that specifically relates to shardblades, which I don't think is what she was trying to ask.

11 hours ago, BeskarKomrk said:

I believe the reading transcript is the interlude that was read on Sunday.

Right, my bad.  Since we had to change physical locations between the reading and the signing my brain separated them into two events... and then shifted one back by a day for some reason. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Bromo_Sapien said:

That's interesting, especially because I thought he wrote Cadsuane well. But I wonder why he didn't like her since strong, forceful women aren't exactly unknown in his works. I mean, I don't necessarily see a huge difference in personality between Cadsuane and Jasnah.

Brandon has a few things to say about Cadsuane; not many of them positive (and the positive one sounds like a bit of appeasement to me :P ).

This one about sums it up, I think:

QUESTION
If you could kill one character gruesomely (without regard to plot) who would it be?

BRANDON SANDERSON
Cadsuane.

So far as writing her well:

Source:

JORDAN HUSBAND (14 NOVEMBER 2011)
Do you struggle to write Cadsuane from an unbiased perspective, since she's not a favorite of yours?

BRANDON SANDERSON (14 NOVEMBER 2011)
I thought I would, but she has such a strong personality, she's actually easy.

BRANDON SANDERSON
The ease of writing a character has more to do with how proactive they are and how easy it is to get into their head.

BRANDON SANDERSON
I've learned a lot about her, and about writing, from the series.

----

Jasnah is an interesting comparison to make; thanks, I hadn't thought of that before.

Now that I think of it, Jasnah seems like a Cadsuane-type character done right. Cadsuane comes off as a bully; if I had to sum it up in one word I would say that Jasnah's never petty, while I couldn't say the same of Cadsuane.*

*Let the Cadsuane hate/love wars begin (but actually please no, sorry if this is derailing).

6 hours ago, Bromo_Sapien said:

This is an interesting link... 

My thoughts on the matter are Brandon is likely more at ease with Jasnah due to her being a very religiously centered character. Now, I know what you are all thinking: "But Jasnah is an atheist, she is the least religious of all characters" which might be a valid statement, but it also happens one I think might not be accurate. In other words, while Jasnah does not have the faith to believe in a deity without conclusive solid indisputable facts, she remains a character which has put this quest towards religious truth at the center of her self-being. Being an atheist is just as central and crucial to her character as being a blind believer is to Szeth. She thus becomes a very religiously involved character even if this involvement passes through her not believing in the existence of a God. 

An example of a religiously not involved character would be Kaladin. Kaladin doesn't care about God, either way. It just isn't something he bothers himself with.

Hence, Jasnah is driven by her thirst for the truth which strongly passes through her open atheist. Why did she even bother to publicly claim she didn't believe in the existence of the Almighty? She could have just kept those thoughts to herself and go on with her life, but no. Stating was important to her, even if it ended up being a harsh path to follow. Given this importance, Jasnah becomes a very differently motivated character than Cadsuane.

Cadsuane, I read as a highly competent individual with a strong self-confidence whom refuses to sit down and wait for life to happen. She sees herself as the most capable individual around and, in the absence of anyone more qualified, she will step up and she will force her way. If she firmly believes her way is the right one to follow, she will do all she can to make it happen. She will bend the entire world to her whim if needs be, but she will not take no for an answer nor will she allow anyone to force her way. 

Were she a man, I sincerely believe the readership's reaction to her character might have been different. After all, force full, strong minded, slightly bullying male characters do get praise on a regular basis. The proof? Dalinar. 

She is thus very different from Jasnah. Jasnah wants the truth which is something most readers will have a hard time fighting against while Cadsuane wants something more abstract. She wants to make sure the Dragon Reborn does not become a despotic Tyran and she is right. However, how do you even begin to proceed with a stubborn teenager who refuses to hear any piece of advice? Whom is incapable of rational thoughts, of figuring out which advice is meant to control him and which one is sound? You bully him, you try to wrestle is out with him. You call him out for being what he is: a boy.

Hence, I see both characters as very different and I think this difference might be why Brandon has so much issue with Cadsuane: she isn't driven by any inner sense of faith and/or lack of faith. She just does what she wants because she believes it needs to be done. Dalinar is very similar but he also is very religious which perhaps gives him an angle Brandon enjoys.

5 hours ago, Kurkistan said:

*Let the Cadsuane hate/love wars begin (but actually please no, sorry if this is derailing).

When did it ever stop us? :ph34r: Derailed conversations are always the best. I had to take a plunge at it.

10 minutes ago, lidrevan said:

Atheism is just believing  that there is no god.

I might be wrong about my wording, but I think this is where you draw the line in between atheists and agnostics: one firmly believes there is no god while the other one simply does not care either way, spending very little life effort in pursuing faith and/or the absence of faith.

This interesting is I now realize I likely am within the second group as opposed to the first one which might be why I have always been slightly unnerved by Jasnah... Her fervor into finding the truth about the Almighty and her conclusion he must not exists because of the absence of fail proof evidence always struck to me as complete devotion. Strangely and oddly, I have always read Jasnah as someone really... religiously inclined. Since I have always defined my own self as an atheist, I felt it strange Jasnah would get so many praise for her depiction when I found little common ground in between herself and I. 

Hence, I might have had a wrong perception of what being atheist mean which incidentally implies I put the wrong label onto myself.

If I were to pick a non-religiously inclined character, I would pick Kaladin. 

The things we learn reading Brandon Sanderson... :o:ph34r:

1 hour ago, maxal said:

I might be wrong about my wording, but I think this is where you draw the line in between atheists and agnostics  [...]

The things we learn reading Brandon Sanderson... :o:ph34r:

(Warning for abuse of parentheses...)

There seems to be a significant crossover between the two terms. I've met loads of people who consider themselves agnostic, and they run the gamut from spiritualists to pretty strong atheists. For myself, I'd say I'm technically agnostic but functionally an atheist. (I'll float [pun intended] Russell's Teapot here.) In pracrice I usually just say atheist and leave it at that.

Part of the disconnect is that the word "believe" is so weighted that when explaining a worldview I tend to avoid it outright. Do I believe in my comfy sofa? It all depends on the meaning you ascribe to the word "believe." 

My actual point (honest, I had one) is that Jasnah's fervor struck me as scholarly and intense, but not something driven by faith. She's probably my favorite (currently) secondary character (though Renarin is almost tied) because she is honestly and exhaustively examining the strange reality of her world--a trait all too rare in fantasy novels. :)

1 hour ago, maxal said:

I might be wrong about my wording, but I think this is where you draw the line in between atheists and agnostics: one firmly believes there is no god while the other one simply does not care either way, spending very little life effort in pursuing faith and/or the absence of faith.

This is very much a conversation for another topic, so as someone who has been an atheist for a long time, and has dedicated a good amount of time thinking about stuff and listening to people talk about the stuff they thought about, I'll try to end it with a reply or two.

The difference between an atheist and an agnostic is very small. Anyone who tells you definitively that there is no God is a fool - you can't prove a negative. In fact, Jasnah says almost the same thing when Shallan confronts her about the true topic of her research. No, the difference between atheists and agnostics is how much evidence they think they need to say before they admit to the existence of a God; atheists would require more. And even then, it's a gradient - would either one be convinced if they saw an angel-like creature? If they heard a voice they could reasonably confirm was omniscient? If they saw the last of nature seemingly broken by some fantastic being? 

It is true that atheists tend to be more vocal and assertive about their belief, but that's not what atheism is about - just like religion is not about preaching constantly and trying to convert anyone within earshot. Jasnah is very much not this kind of person - you'll notice that she never brings the topic of the Almighty up first, she only brings her beliefs out when she asked or forced to, or when an underlying premise of the conversation she is a part of leads to assumptions about the divine nature of the Almighty (such as when she and Shallan discuss morality).

So I'll confidently disagree with you on any line you try to draw between agnostics and atheists. It's a very murky distinction. I will also confidently disagree with any claim that Jasnah, as a character, is shaped by religion; she is not. It's a part of who she is, more so than it is part of Kaladin, but it's not a defining trait. Certainly not much more than it is for me.

Thanks about the responses. I do not proclaim to know where to draw the line as, quite frankly, I have not put much time pondering about those issues. Therefore, I will certainly not claim I do know the difference nor where to draw the line. I offered it as an explanation as to why, having defined myself as an atheist, I didn't find many common ground with Jasnah's character. I do know Brandon made intensive research for her character and I trust his judgment, hence if I cannot find this common ground, then it might because it isn't there. 

The rest are just labels and quite frankly, I am not big on labels :P

All I can say is Jasnah is presented to us as an atheist. I considered myself an atheist or somewhere around that spectrum, labels are just labels after all, so let's just say I do not believe in the existence of God, but I cannot refute the fact I might be wrong as nothing is ever firm unless you've got tangible results within your hands. I thus must leave one tiny small door open for the possibility I am wrong and others are right. I have no idea what kind of real-life proof I would need to be convinced... I honestly cannot say. Something solid, very solid.

To make what has become a long story shorter, my outside perspective on Jasnah is she seems to spend a great deal lot of time pondering about religion and the non-existence of God. It isn't done in a forceful way nor is she imposing her views on others, but it does seem as if she thinks about it, a lot. This is where I draw the line as it is the complete opposite of myself: I don't think about religion all that much. I don't ponder about those things, not unless I have a direct reason for it. It just isn't something which occupies my thoughts.

I thus say her absence of faith into religion is very central to her character, it defines her and it defines her character motivations which makes her, to me it does, a religiously centered character even if this aspect expresses itself into non-belief. I find it to be a very strong part of who she is, it isn't all she is, but it is what comes across the most strongly, to me it does. Whenever I think about Jasnah, this is what comes to my mind first. Of course, future perspective on the character might serve to change my perceptions, but I have to work with what I've got which isn't much. Other readers might have focus on other aspect of her character, I can only speak about myself.

Obviously my perspective isn't the only one, but in the scope of the initial questioning, I can see why Brandon would have trouble with Cadsuane where he doesn't with Jasnah: their character motivators are very different. 

Sorry for derailing the thread :ph34r: We can go back to discussing the new WoB :ph34r:

On 2/24/2017 at 11:42 AM, BeskarKomrk said:

Remaining to-do:

Complete the Rithmatist Q&A transcript
Complete the Sunday signing transcript
Check through the Sunday post-signing transcript for accuracy

Sunday signing line transcript is done. Thank you to whoever went through and time-stamped the questions.

@yulerule, you said you asked two questions on Sunday, but only the first one (about the everstorm) showed up in the audio. When did you ask about the new rhythms? Did we miss it somehow?

Edited by ccstat

6 hours ago, ccstat said:

Sunday signing line transcript is done. Thank you to whoever went through and time-stamped the questions.

@yulerule, you said you asked two questions on Sunday, but only the first one (about the everstorm) showed up in the audio. When did you ask about the new rhythms? Did we miss it somehow?

Thanks to everyone who did the transcripts and the questions! There's been some beauties this round.

And as for the new Sunday ones

[14:22]

Q Roshar has three moons that orbit it, and I notice that these orbits somewhat collide. I was wondering if the moons have anything to do with...

A The moons are a little bit of a hint, but it’s not about what you’re thinking. They are not in a stable orbit on astronomical terms. They’ll last tens of thousands of years before they degrade. But it is a little bit of a hint of things. The fact that Roshar has three moons in a very specific orbit is a hint about things.

[24:06]

Q Do metalloids [on the periodic table] count as metals for the purpose of allomancy?

A Yes.

Q So things like gallium and antimony…

A Yes. Not everything is pushable or pullable, but it counts in allomancy, and there are certain things… there are certain relationships.

[24:48]

Q How does liquid metal interact with allomancy? (e.g. mercury)

A Right, right. I’ve always imagined it working like a ferrofluid in a magnetic field. You can pull and push on it, but it’s going to be weird and goopy. I haven’t had reason to push and pull on mercury yet, or any of the other liquid metals.

oooh I like these three. Time to get my amateur science on. I'm assuming the moons represent the three Shards, I'm sure that's been proposed before and the Shin call the time between the first two moons the "hateful hour ... for it was one of the only times when the gods did not watch men." But what I'm really interested in is the very specific orbit they're in. Perhaps the times they're closer to the planet make for different shardic influences or something about the parts the orbits cross each other or the times the planets become close to each other are important. 

And I'm pretty interested in the certain relationships that the non-pushable/pullable metalloids have for allomancy. 

Edited by Extesian

I've added the completed transcripts to the second post of this thread, to make them searchable on the forums. At the moment they are formatted the same as the google docs, but I'll go back soon and take out the time stamps etc. If there are edits made to any of them, I'll update the post.

Also, it looks like someone has been making good progress on the Rithmatist Q&A document. There was a lot of writing advice and Aztlanian research discussion that I think doesn't need to be transcribed, so it shouldn't be too daunting to finish it up.

4 hours ago, ccstat said:

I've added the completed transcripts to the second post of this thread, to make them searchable on the forums. At the moment they are formatted the same as the google docs, but I'll go back soon and take out the time stamps etc. If there are edits made to any of them, I'll update the post.

Feel free to leave the timestamps in: they don't hurt anything and can be helpful if someone in the future wants to be 100% sure of tone and the Google Doc is down/slow/the person (read: me) is lazy.

3 hours ago, WeiryWriter said:

@DAdam Any update on your recording of the Sunday Signing Line?

The link to my Sunday signing recording is below. Sorry it took so long, things got busy. I've never used Google Drive before, but I think I've got sharing set up correctly on the file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-4OlGQmehCtSE5IRktBLXltMmM

It's in amr format which is not one I'm used to seeing, but I checked to make sure it played on a couple different apps so that shouldn't be a problem.  Around 48:30 is the start of the part that @Ironeyes's recording missed.