2017-02-17 Boskone 54 - Boston, MA

BeskarKomrk

3 hours ago, ccstat said:

The rough transcript is done, needs a bit of editing and polish

"Q If Marasi and Wayne are standing near each other, and made a speed bubble….

A They’d cancel each other out.

Q Totally cancel each other?

A Well, if they make it the same size. If not, they will make like a Venn diagram thing."

Oh my goodness, did he just confirm the possibility of speed bubble force fields? 

13 minutes ago, Ironeyes said:

"Q If Marasi and Wayne are standing near each other, and made a speed bubble….

A They’d cancel each other out.

Q Totally cancel each other?

A Well, if they make it the same size. If not, they will make like a Venn diagram thing."

Oh my goodness, did he just confirm the possibility of speed bubble force fields? 

Technically we've known this for a while. But yeah, you could probably arrange it so you have a shield of slow time.

Great transcript! It got me thinking though... What do we know exactly about the Passions which Brandon mentioned as a religion? I think I dimly recall reading something about it, but it somehow vanished from my memory... Does anyone remember? I am curious about them.

2 minutes ago, maxal said:

Great transcript! It got me thinking though... What do we know exactly about the Passions which Brandon mentioned as a religion? I think I dimly recall reading something about it, but it somehow vanished from my memory... Does anyone remember? I am curious about them.

I feel like wet haven't heard much, it was Thaylen, I think Rysn referred to them? There's a WoB though saying the religion (or philosophy perhaps) is not related to magic.

QUESTION

Navani’s emotion fabrial, are those correspondent to the Thaylen Passions in any way?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, but the Thaylen Passions would’ve come second to some of this.

QUESTION

So through a cultural filter--...?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. There is no magic to the Thaylen Passions, they are a religion but with no magical component. Sometimes a religion is just a religion.

I get the feeling it's just some worldbuilding detail rather than anything of Cosmere consequence.

1 hour ago, Extesian said:

I feel like wet haven't heard much, it was Thaylen, I think Rysn referred to them? There's a WoB though saying the religion (or philosophy perhaps) is not related to magic.

I get the feeling it's just some worldbuilding detail rather than anything of Cosmere consequence.

I was hoping for a bit more... The idea of a religion names the Passions was interesting to me. It is indeed Navani who mentions it. I'd be curious to learn more about it. Navani seemed to think poorly of it which might be why I wonder about it.

@jofwu, the spoiler tag below contains my take on the Interlude transcription you captured.  I added anything I heard differently in highlighted text and struck through what it replaces in your original text.  Almost all the names sounded phonetically correct to me, there were just a couple that I indicated some minor differences in what I heard.  Nice work!

I actually ended up using the YouTube video someone posted instead of my own recording.  Better sound quality and I could watch his lips to help with the trickier bits. :-)

Spoiler

The Yokskta[?] Monastery was ordinarily a very quiet place. Nestled in the forest atop a hill on the western slopes of the Horneater Peaks, the place was a paradise that few even knew existed. The Peaks themselves blocked the brunt of the storms and usually the monastery felt only rain at the passing of a highstorm. Furious rain, yes, and with some thundering. But none of the terrible destruction one knew at in most parts of the world. Alista had to remind herself every passing storm how lucky she was to be here. Ardents in the know often fought half their lives to be transferred here. Away from politics, storms[?], and other annoyances, at Yokska you could just think. Usually.

“Are you looking at these numbers? Are your eyes for some reason disconnected from your brain?!”

“I saw the numbers. But I’m saying we can’t judge yet. Three instances are not enough.”

“Two data points make a coincidence. Three make a sequence. This is plenty. The Everstorm travels at a constant speed, unlike the highstorm.”

“You can’t possibly say that! One of your data points, so highly touted, is from the original passing of the storm, which happened as an uncommon event.”

Alista slammed her book closed and gathered up her materials. She burst from her reading nook and gave a glare to the two Ardents arguing in the hall outside. They were so involved in their shouting match they didn’t even respond to the glare, though it had been one of the her best. Once she’d been able to silence this library with a simple word. Now, the entire place had gone insane.

She bustled from the library, entering a long hallway with sides open to the elements outside. Peaceful trees. Quiet brook. Humid air and mossy vines that popped and stretched as they moved, laying out for the evening. Well, yes, a large swath of trees out there had been flattened by the new storm. But that was no reason for everyone to get upset. The rest of the world could worry. Here, she was just supposed to be able to read.

She started to set her things out and her at a reading desk here near an open window. Humidity The humidity wasn’t good for books, but places where the storms were weak went hand in hand with fecundity. You just had to accept that. Hopefully those new fabrials to draw water from the air would—

“—telling you we have to move!” A voice echoed through the hallway. “Look, the storm is going to ravage these woods. Before long this slope will be barren and the storm will be hitting us full force. The building wasn’t built to withstand that kind of punishment!”

“But the new storm doesn’t have that strong a wind factor, Bedam[?]. It’s not going to blow down the trees. Have you looked at the measurements?”

“I’ve disputed those measurements.”

“But—“

Alista rubbed her temples. Her head was bald like the head of the other Ardents. Her parents still joked that she’d joined the Ardentia simply because she hated bothering with her hair. She tried earplugs, but could hear the arguing through them. So eventually she picked up her things again, and went storming through the monastery.

Maybe the basement. Using a sphere for light, she took the long steps down to the lower level. It wasn’t truly a basement—just another building constructed further down the slopes. The steps were even outside, down a forested slope. The inaccuracy of calling it a basement bothered her, but the term had been used for as long as anyone could remember.

Before arriving at the monastery, she’d had illusions of about what it would be like to live among scholars. No bickering. No politicking. Well, she hadn’t found that to be true, but generally people did leave her alone. And so she was lucky to be here. She told herself that again as she entered the basement building. It was basically a zoo.

Dozens of people gathering information from spanreeds, talking to one another, buzzing about talk of this highprince or that king. She stopped in the doorway, took it all in for a moment, then turned on her heel and stomped stalked back out. Now what?

She started up the steps toward the monastery proper, but lingered halfway there. It’s probably the only route to peace, she thought, looking out at the forest. Trying not to think about the dirt, the cremlings, and the fact that something might drip in her head, she strode off into the forest.

She didn’t want to go too far, as who knew what might be out there. She eventually chose a stump without too much moss on it, and settled down, book across her lap, her other materials tucked into her satchel. She could still hear Ardents arguing down below, but they were distant. She opened her book, intent on finally getting something done today. She read.

Wimma[?] sprung away from Brightlord Sterling[?]’s forward advances, tucking her safehand to her breast and lowering her gaze from his comely locks. Such affection as to delight the unsavory mind could surely not satisfy her for an extended period, as though his intentions had at one time been fanciful delights to entertain her leisurely hours, they now seemed to manifest in as utter impudence and greatest faults of character.

“What?” Alista exclaimed, reading. “No, you silly girl! He’s finally pronounced his affection for you! Don’t you dare turn away now!”

How could she accept this wanton justification of her once single-minded desires? Should she not instead select the more prudent choice, as advocated by the undeviating will of her uncle. Brightlord Vatam[?] had an endowment of land upon the Highprince’s grace, and would have means to provide far beyond the satisfactions available to a simple officer, no matter how well regarded or what whims had graced his temperament, features, and gentle touch.

Alista gasped. “Brightlord Vatam?! You little whore! Have you forgotten about how he locked away your father?”

“Wimma,” Brightlord Sterling intoned, “it seems I have gravely misjudged your attentions. In this I find myself deposited deep within an embarrassment of folly. I shall be away to the Shattered Plains, and you shall not again suffer the torment of my presence.”

He bowed then, a true gentlemen’s bow, possessing of all the true refined[?] indifference[?] refinement and deference[?]. It was a supplication beyond what even a monarch could demand, and in it Wimma ascertained the true nature of Brightlord Sterling’s regard. Simple, yet passionate[?]. Respectable Respectful indeed. And a move that lent great context to his earlier advance, which now appeared all at once a righteous deviation in otherwise sure armor[?]. A window of full [?]nobility, rather than a model of avarice. As he lifted the door’s latch to forever make his exodus from her life, Wimma surged with unrivaled shame and longing, twisting together not unlike two threads winding in a loom to construct a grand tapestry of desire.

“Wait!” Wimma cried, “Dear Sterling, wait upon my words!”

“Storms right!” Alista muttered. She leaned closer to the book, flipping the page.

Decorum seemed a vain thing to her now, lost upon the sea that was her need to feel Sterling’s touch. She rushed to him, and upon his arm pressed her ensleeved hand, which then she lifted to caress his sturdy jaw.

It was warm out here in the forest. Practically sweltering. Alista put her hand to her lips, reading with wide eyes. Trembling.

Would that the window through that statuesque armor could still be located, and a similar wound within herself might be found to press against his own and offer passage deep within her soul. If only—

“Alista?” a voice asked.

Yip!” she said, bolting upright, snapping the book closed, spinning toward the sound. “Oh, um, Ardent Gurv[?].”

The young Siln[?] Ardent was a tall gangly and obnoxiously loud man at times. Except, apparently, when sneaking up on colleagues in the forest. He really should feel ashamed for that.

“What is it you were studying?” he asked.

“Important works,” Alista said. Then sat on the book. “Nothing to mind yourself with. What is it you want?”

“Uh…” He looked down at her satchel. “You were the last one to check out the transcriptions from MBedthel[?]’s collection on the Dawnchant? The old version? I just wanted to check your progress.”

Dawnchant, right. They’d been working on that before the storm came and everyone got distracted. Old Navani Kholin in Alethkar had somehow come up with a key for translations. Her story about visions was nonsense most likely—the Kholin family was known for opaque[?] politics. But the key was authentic, letting them slowly work through what the old text had once said.

She started digging through her satchel. She came up with three musty codices and a sheaf of paper, the latter being the work she’d done so far. Annoyingly, he settled down on the ground beside her stump, taking the papers as she offered them. He laid his satchel across his lap and began reading.

“Incredible!” he said a few moments later. “You’ve made way more progress than I have.”

“Everyone else is too busy worrying about that storm.”

“Well, it is threatening to wipe out civilization as we know it.”

“An overreaction. Everyone always overreacts to every little gust of wind.”

“That’s easy for us to say, tucked away in the mountains like this.” He flipped through her pages. “What’s this section? Why take so much care about the origins of the pieces found? Fokuson[?] concluded that these books had all spread from a central location, and so there’s nothing to learn by where they ended up.”

“Fokuson was a bootlicker, not a scholar,” Alista said. “Look, there’s easy proof that the same writing system was once used all across Roshar. I have references to Makabakam, Sela Tales, Alethela. Not just the diaspora of text, but real evidence they wrote naturally in the Dawnchant.”

“Do you suppose they all spoke the same language?”

“Hardly. But Jasnah Kholin’s Relics[?] doesn’t claim that everyone spoke the same language. Only that they wrote it. It’s foolish to assume that everyone used the same language across hundreds of years and dozens of nations. It makes more sense that there was a codified written language, a language of early scholarship just like you’d find in many underscripts written in Alethi now even if the scribe was originally Veden.”

“Ah!” he said, “And then a Desolation hits...”

Alista nodded, showing him a page later in her sheaf of notes. “This in-between weird language is where people started using the Dawnchant script to phonetically transcribe their language. It didn’t work so well.” She flipped through two more pages. “After the next Desolation we have the proto-Vorin alphabet emerging and Thaylen a century later. We’ve always wondered what happened to the Dawnchant. Well it seems clear now they lost the knowledge of writing in the Dawnchant because by the days of the Recreance it had already become a dead language for millennia. It was easy to forget because they weren’t speaking it, as they hadn’t been in generations.”

“Brilliant!” Gurv said. He wasn’t so bad, actually, for a Siln. “All of this,” he said, “because of that man’s Radiants[?] a madman's ravings.” He pulled a sheaf of his own paper out from his satchel. “We’ve been translating what we can. We’re getting close to really cracking this thing, I think. If what you’ve been doing here is correct, that’s because Khovat[?] isn’t true Dawnchant but a phonetic transcription from another ancient language.”

He glanced aside, then cocked his head. Was he looking at her…? Oh, no it was just the book, which she was still sitting on.

An Accountability of Virtue,” he grunted. “Good book!”

“You’ve read it?”

“I have a fondness for Alethi epics,” he said absently, flipping through her pages. “She really should have picked Vatam though—Sterling was a flatterer in a cage.”

“Sterling is a noble and upright officer!” She narrowed her eyes. “And you are just trying to get a rise out of me, Ardent Gurv.”

“Maybe.” He flipped through her pages, studying a diagram she had made of various Dawnchant grammars. “I have a copy of the sequel.”

“There’s a sequel?!”

“About her sister.”

“The mousey one?”

“She is elevated to courtly attention, and has to choose between a strapping naval officer, a Thaylen banker, and the king’s Wit.”

Three men?”

“Sequels always have to be bigger,” he said, then offered her the stack of pages back. “I could I'll lend it to you.”

“For what?”

“For help in translating a particularly suborn stubborn section of Dawnchant. I have a patron of mine who has a strict deadline upon its delivery.

On 2/19/2017 at 9:28 PM, Argent said:

Can you elaborate on that a little bit? I think I know what you are saying, but I want to try to minimize the chance of us getting the wrong info.

On the harmonium... I think I need to sit on the new information for a little bit.

Sorry in the delay in replying, work has been crazy. 

I was trying to figure out if there was a difference between Kelsier and Jasnah / Hoid when they travel into the CR in an attempt to figure out if it would be possible for Kelsier to leave the CR through a Shardpool. The answer is clearly no, since there would be no Physical Self for Kel to move back into the PR (at least that we know of right now).

From memory, Brandon made it seem like the Physical Self was carried through the Cog Realm when they went in or that the two seemed to merge. At least that was where my head went. And then when they left, the Physical Self separated from the Cog Self and returned to the PR.

Switching to speculation, it makes it more unlikely, to me, that the being at the end of BoM is actually, physically, Kel, since he has no way to return to the Physical Realm right now. I think it's still Spook and that the two have been working together long enough and Spook believes in Kel enough that he has adapted some of Kel's mannerisms.

@maxal, I think Passions are mentioned in a handful of other places...

I think most of the Thaylen characters use "Passions" as an exclamation. Yalb and Rysn (and others) make mention of them I believe. Yalb mentions them along with "You win when you need it most". Rysn mentions that she's a bit skeptical of them sometimes. Shallan calls them "pagan superstition". Jasnah dismisses them, using them as an example for how she has no proof for God either. Navani criticizes them indirectly, comparing them to Adolin's pre-duel rituals.

They obviously originated in Thaylenah. I get the sense that they predate Vorinism there. Vorinism probably came in and painted the Passions as superstitious nonsense. But they're just so deeply rooted in Thaylen culture that Vorinism never rooted them out. It's like this thing that most Thaylen believe on the side, and they don't talk about it in front of Vorin priests who discourage it. Kind of like how African tribal beliefs (about spirits, divination, witchcraft, etc.) seep their way into local versions of Christianity and Islam.

10 hours ago, DAdam said:

the spoiler tag below contains my take on the Interlude transcription you captured.  I added anything I heard differently in highlighted text and struck through what it replaces in your original text.  Almost all the names sounded phonetically correct to me, there were just a couple that I indicated some minor differences in what I heard.  Nice work!

Thanks! I'll update my post. @BeskarKomrk, feel free to put this transcription on your OP. Or if someone wants to start a full transcription of both readings with the Q&A then insert it there.

28 minutes ago, Bromo_Sapien said:

Switching to speculation, it makes it more unlikely, to me, that the being at the end of BoM is actually, physically, Kel, since he has no way to return to the Physical Realm right now. I think it's still Spook and that the two have been working together long enough and Spook believes in Kel enough that he has adapted some of Kel's mannerisms.

I think the general assumption about Kelsier is that he used Hemalurgy to "reattach" himself to a physical body. Perhaps with the help of Marsh, Spook, and/or Sazed.

I've gone through the Friday signing audio and timestamped all of the questions, but most of them still need to be transcribed. While Brandon's responses are always clear, some of the questions are difficult to make out, especially three towards the beginning (approx 45 min and 64 min). If they belong to any of you, or if @yulerule can remember what they might have been about, that would be very helpful.

A few interesting tidbits in there, including that Jasnah is on the cover of Oathbringer.

Edited by ccstat

19 minutes ago, ccstat said:

45 min

Got my volume at max and I can't make it out fully. But it's something about red eyes in Bands of Mourning. I filled in those clues.

37 minutes ago, ccstat said:

64 min

For the first, I think I got all the words basically right... But it makes no sense to me what he was asking.

For the second, it's a Sixth of Dusk question. It feels like he's asking "what happens if humans are born on Patji? do they get powers?" But I can't make out any words that form a question like this. Filled in what I could.

Thanks, @jofwu. That was very helpful! I was able to make out a bit more of each of those, once I was working from your text. I think the first one at 64 min must have been asking about Zahel, or other potential Nalthians worldhopping to Roshar, but it was fairly oblique. The second one was "What happens if humans eat the worms on Patji?"

How do people here usually revise other people's transcripts? By adding comments?

Also, if anyone is interested in hearing about the Mistborn: House War game let me know what kind of things you'd like to know. As @ccstat mentioned in his day 2 report earlier in the thread, I got to play it (leaving everyone else free to crowd around Brandon and ask questions when he showed up ;)).

15 hours ago, Bromo_Sapien said:

The timeline makes that impossible. Spook ruled Elendel for a century ever since he was made king post-Catacendre, while the Sovereign was already in the South twelve years post-Catacendre.

Edited by skaa

These signing threads are always tricky, since so many cosmere things get referenced, but I think we do still need to spoiler MSH discussions. I'd hate to give something away.

1 hour ago, DAdam said:

How do people here usually revise other people's transcripts? By adding comments?

Direct editing is usually fine, unless the revision is something you want to call attention to or that you expect to be disputed. 

1 hour ago, DAdam said:

Also, if anyone is interested in hearing about the Mistborn: House War game let me know what kind of things you'd like to know. As @ccstat mentioned in his day 2 report earlier in the thread, I got to play it (leaving everyone else free to crowd around Brandon and ask questions when he showed up ;)).

I would be interested in your overall opinions, and any of the following questions you have answers to:

• How did it compare to other semi-cooperative games you've played (if you have)?
  • Is gameplay fast, or are players likely to sit and analyze their turns for a while?
  • Are there any unique mechanics besides the most/least favor win conditions? 
  • How was the theming? Did it feel Mistborn to you? Will non-Sanderfans have much difficulty getting oriented in the game?
  • I know you only played once, but did you get any sense for what the ideal number of players would be? Many games are best with fewer/more people, even though they are able to accommodate different size groups.

On 2017/2/22 at 9:50 AM, maxal said:

I was hoping for a bit more... The idea of a religion names the Passions was interesting to me. It is indeed Navani who mentions it. I'd be curious to learn more about it. Navani seemed to think poorly of it which might be why I wonder about it.

16 hours ago, jofwu said:

I think most of the Thaylen characters use "Passions" as an exclamation. Yalb and Rysn (and others) make mention of them I believe. Yalb mentions them along with "You win when you need it most". Rysn mentions that she's a bit skeptical of them sometimes. Shallan calls them "pagan superstition". Jasnah dismisses them, using them as an example for how she has no proof for God either. Navani criticizes them indirectly, comparing them to Adolin's pre-duel rituals.

They obviously originated in Thaylenah. I get the sense that they predate Vorinism there. Vorinism probably came in and painted the Passions as superstitious nonsense. But they're just so deeply rooted in Thaylen culture that Vorinism never rooted them out. It's like this thing that most Thaylen believe on the side, and they don't talk about it in front of Vorin priests who discourage it. Kind of like how African tribal beliefs (about spirits, divination, witchcraft, etc.) seep their way into local versions of Christianity and Islam.

Thanks for the musings!

Actually, I once asked about the Thaylen Passions, and here is Brandon's detailed answer:

Q: We know that the Passions are a religion or a set of superstitions from Thaylenah. But what are the "Passions" exactly? Are they a group of Gods who represent various kinds of "Passion" worshipped by the Thaylen people? If not, are those "Passions" simply a set of ideals believed by the Thaylen people? Are there any connections between Thaylen Passions and Alethi Thrill?

A: The Passions could be called a religion, but there are those among the Thaylens (and to a lesser extent, other peoples) who would argue that it's more a philosophy. Or a companion religion. Much like Shinto and/or Confucianism co-exist in some places with Buddhism.
However, there is not formalized theology, despite various thinkers and gurus expressing their thoughts on the matter. The central idea is that Passion equates to Action, and the cosmic belief that wanting something draws it to you. This idea is reinforced by the spren, obviously.

Q: "The central idea is that Passion equates to Action, and the cosmic belief that wanting something draws it to you." Ah, so basically some people treat it as a fundamental way of life, and some people just treat it as The Secret?

A: Yes, you can see it as a Rosharan version of the Law of Attraction, though some people have taken it further into a more religious fundamental.

[Source]

Hope it helps =)

Woah...

32:25 Q. Silver matters on Threnody but not Scadrial….

(Silver does not interact with the 3 metallic arts as they are currently understood. Silver does have a cosmere role.)

Does that confirm that Threnodite silver is not another name for aluminum? But that it's actually silver, the same silver they have on other worlds?

EDIT: Also, what?

[51.32]

Q: What book should I read to have Ambition’s influence [? ? ?], or should I look for Ambition’s influence.

A: Ambition’s influence. So, uhm, you have seen it but I’m not going to say anything more than that. Let’s just say that the things that happened with Ambition have had ramifications across many places in the cosmere.

Edited by Pagerunner

31 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Does that confirm that Threnodite silver is not another name for aluminum? But that it's actually silver, the same silver they have on other worlds?

I am pretty sure we already have a WoB that silver is silver on Threnody.

I like this one.

Q: Is being a Knight Radiant at all genetic? Because you have Jasnah, Dalinar, and Renarin in the same family.

A: It is not genetic, however… Um… Families or people close to one another are more likely. It’s not genetic. So for instance, if everyone were adopted it would still have the same prevalence.

Q: Okay, fascinating!

A: Um, so there--

Q: [interruption hard to hear]

A: Well, there are a couple of reasons for that. One is which, attracting the attention of a spren can mean that other spren are paying attention to that area. There are also things in the Cosmere (the shared universe of them) where people are connected spiritually. Um… and that’s part of the magic as well. So… You are more likely to become a Radiant if you know a Radiant

Not groundbreaking (and I certainly should have realized the spiritual connection side). But says a bit about the likelihood of secondary characters becoming Radiant, Elhokar, Adolin etc.

So Jasnah is on the book cover... Interesting. I would have never guessed. I had hope it would have been someone else, but I guess it was too much to hope for.

39 minutes ago, Extesian said:

I like this one.

Not groundbreaking (and I certainly should have realized the spiritual connection side). But says a bit about the likelihood of secondary characters becoming Radiant, Elhokar, Adolin etc.

Yeah... I so do not want Elhokar to become a Radiant...

Edited by maxal

2 minutes ago, maxal said:

So Jasnah is on the book cover... Interesting. I would have never guessed. I had hope it would have been someone else, but I guess it was too much to hope for.

Yeah... I so do not want Elhokar to become a Radiant...

I don't think he will, I think the bond is forming but will break because he's too erratic and probably not honest enough with himself for the Cryptics to hold it. But it increases the chances of someone else. And I'm sure you'll get your someone else on the cover sometime. Hopefully while he's still alive...

1 minute ago, Extesian said:

I don't think he will, I think the bond is forming but will break because he's too erratic and probably not honest enough with himself for the Cryptics to hold it. But it increases the chances of someone else. And I'm sure you'll get your someone else on the cover sometime. Hopefully while he's still alive...

:lol: Thanks for the pep talk. I too would prefer if Elhokar served as an example of a failed bond or what happens when sprens try bonding an inadequate individual. Brandon has mentioned it could happen, so I certainly expect to read it happening to one character. Elhokar currently seems like the most likely candidate. I am however really not sure someone else will ever be on the cover or the inside page. 

I like the way Brandon described Surgebinding connections to Honor and Cultivation in the Rithmatist Q&A. I've always jumped to judge the orders by the niche they seem to fill, so it was interesting to hear how the Surges come into it.

Also, anyone else really struck by his explanation of honorspren and cultivationspren? I've been assuming that they are more closely associated with the shards in some way. But the way Brandon talked, that's not true at all. He made their names seem almost arbitrary.