2017-02-17 Boskone 54 - Boston, MA

BeskarKomrk

I just updated the OP with the links to the audio files and the Rithmatist Q&A transcript. I'm going to start on the Friday signing line transcription now.

I had a few other questions answered that I'll paraphrase quickly.

Q: Do the different Listener forms each correspond to a specific spren?

A: Yes

Q: Does dullform correspond to Lifespren?

A: RAFO

Q: Denth has the Royal Locks independent from being a Returned, implying he's part of the Idrian royal line (Brandon concurs). Does Shashara also have the Royal Locks in the same way?

A: That is a guess you could make

Q: How long before the events of Warbreaker did Vo Return? The book implies it's a long time. Thousands of years?

A: Not thousands, but it is a long time. Doesn't want to give a hard answer without looking at his master timeline, so sort-of RAFO.

2 hours ago, jofwu said:

I'm not sure how to interpret this. What's the "thing out of Honor"?

The Inkspren get this dislike from Honor? Human variability is a think of Honor?

I interpreted it as the inkspren's tendency being the "thing out of Honor" but he didn't specify. It was just an add-on to the previous sentence. I'm pretty sure that "a thing out of Honor" was his exact wording though. 

Panel on how Brandon's career got started (audio): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9fo0ba8ynPxSmNwTW1qV1Y4S2s/view?usp=sharing
Oathbringer reading/Q&A (audio): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9fo0ba8ynPxLWpJYjQxVlZVRFk/view?usp=sharing
Rithmatist discussion (video): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9fo0ba8ynPxaFlIWURwaDhHSkU/view?usp=sharing
Sunday signing (audio): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9fo0ba8ynPxdUZrNGNJUDVwWDQ/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if any of these links don't work. This is all of the video and audio I took at the convention. 

My recording of the signing cuts off at 48 minutes for some reason, but @DAdam got the rest on his phone. Thank goodness for backups. 

2 minutes ago, Ironeyes said:

Sweet! Thanks a lot.

No problem, I know you've been waiting for the verbatim.  If someone wouldn't mind creating a google doc for the Sunday signing for me to throw it in after, that would be great!  The harmonium question turned into more of a conversation.  :)

21 minutes ago, DAdam said:

No problem, I know you've been waiting for the verbatim.  If someone wouldn't mind creating a google doc for the Sunday signing for me to throw it in after, that would be great!  The harmonium question turned into more of a conversation.  :)

Here you go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o_-OadmbojDGZqFWls2meynCw4qLBWP-syEeSSgSRQ0/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT:

I updated the OP with links to all the recordings people have posted and the transcription documents we've created so far. I added an additional recording I took of our brief Q&A after the Sunday signing where Brandon was kind enough to wait around an extra 15 minutes while we pestered him. You can find that here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9wtqhlj4y2s56b/Brandon Sanderson.m4a?dl=0

Edited by BeskarKomrk

18 minutes ago, DAdam said:

@Ironeyes, I put the transcript of your signing Q&A in the file @BeskarKomrk made (thank you BeskarKomrk).  Maybe you can fill in a couple areas where I couldn't quite make out what you were saying.

I'll keep working a bit at a time on the part of the Sunday signing that Ironeye's recording cut out on.

You rock!

On 2/18/2017 at 0:16 AM, ccstat said:

That was also my first thought, but why would that justify the "portentous" verbal comment? It seemed like he was hinting at something more important. I may have misinterpreted though.

If it is something to do with Jak himself, my best guess would be hemalurgy, since we have WoB that being spiked makes you repulsive to (most) spren. Pits of Eltania suggest that Jak is a Survivorist not a Pathian, so it is unlikely he would use an earring or something similarly "benign" on purpose. Why would Jak getting spiked be a big deal? I'm probably reading way too much into it, but I immediately start guessing at Secret History sorts of implications.

I finally had some time to give more thought to your idea that the spren who would have been interested in Jak may have been killed or estranged during the Recreance.  IIRC there's an in-book comment that some types of spren were hit harder than others, so that makes sense.  But if they're not available or willing to bond with Jak after the Recreance, then I think the portentousness would be that the type(s) of spren in question won't be bonding with anyone on Scadrial, so not all the Orders would be coming back.

I've got a few minutes to spare tonight so I'm chipping in on the Rithmatist transcription in another tab.

Edit: I'm including his verbal pauses, but second guessing myself as to whether it's necessary. Is there a set convention already on that topic?

Edited by Ironeyes

1 hour ago, DAdam said:

@Ironeyes, I put the transcript of your signing Q&A in the file @BeskarKomrk made (thank you BeskarKomrk).  Maybe you can fill in a couple areas where I couldn't quite make out what you were saying.

I'll keep working a bit at a time on the part of the Sunday signing that Ironeye's recording cut out on.

This transcript is very interesting to me. It sounds like the reaction is basically what we think of as nuclear but with different terminology. 'Nuclear' reactions are basically matter being converted to energy and as a tiny amount of matter us equivalent to a massive amount of energy, it's a big reaction compare to chemical reactions. The other way of course it takes massive amounts of energy to 'make' matter. The ettmetal reaction is analogous to a nuclear reaction (presumably fission more than fusion).

The difference in the Cosmere is that there's a third state, investiture. With fissile material the element has an unstable nucleus. With ettmetal it is the investiture that is unstable. So my question is, if energy:matter=huge:tiny, what is the ratio of investiture:matter? I imagine even bigger but that's pure speculation. And how much investiture does it take to 'create' normal energy or matter? Have we seen any potential examples of the matter/energy/investiture conversion elsewhere?

(And correct me if I'm wrong with anything, I'm not a physicist)

7 hours ago, Ironeyes said:

Edit: I'm including his verbal pauses, but second guessing myself as to whether it's necessary. Is there a set convention already on that topic?

Generally we skip those unless the pause indicates something like hesitance to answer or consideration of a new thought.

I'm sure someone else can give the transcript an edit, though, so I wouldn't worry too much about the style guide. The hard part is getting the words down.

So, I started a doc on the House War Q&A one. Currently verbratim, but I might make mistakes. Help is welcome :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15PDnz288ga3poZfbvqn2W7I1A348_TL_wsy4UCGWtoo/edit?usp=sharing

(Yes, I should be doing work. Yes, I'm transcribing and you can't stop me.)

**edit: well I finished the parts with cosmere tidbits, and left out the general/how to write a book questions. 

Gaps still needs to be filled, though. But most of it is done :D 

Time to go back to buffer calculations. Ugh.

Edited by acatnamedkaren
update

4 hours ago, acatnamedkaren said:

So, I started a doc on the House War Q&A one.

Time to go back to buffer calculations. Ugh.

Good work! I filled in the gaps and made some corrections, so this just needs a quick editing pass to be done.

EDIT: I've started a google doc for the Sunday post-signing Q&A here.

Edited by ccstat

8 minutes ago, Stark said:

Hide contents

Is it possible that Gurv is supposed to be Shin?  Love the dig at sequels needing to be bigger.  And that the Ardent is reading a romance novel.  Made me laugh.

Spoiler

Nope, at one point he says Shin and then corrects himself.

I feel pretty good about "Siln". They're in Jah Keved, right? Look on the map of Roshar at southeastern Jah Keved and you'll see a city called "Silnasen". I'm betting that's what it refers to.