Honorblade

Oversleep

This page assumes that "Taln" is in fact Herold Talenel which we have no confirmation of.

It also doesn't automatically vanish when the holder accidentally lets go of it. (source: WoK epilogue) - I think it's wrong: we don't know whether it really is a Honorblade and IIRC when Szeth dropped his Honorblade it did vanish.

This is in speculation but I feel wording is too strong:

Talenel's Blade, which is shaped like a spike, is still with him when he returns to Roshar for the True Desolation. - we don't know that at all

I don't want to edit until I'm sure.

"Taln" definitely had an honorblade. Brandon seems to have called it that on many occasions. And the thing about dropping it is a pretty good sign. You can intentionally drop an Honorblade and make it disappear and you can intentionally drop a regular Shardblade and make it stay. But the "default" seems to be opposite of those.

That's a good point that we don't know if the blade is Talenel's. Considering that's obviously what we're "supposed" to assume, I'm not sure how that ought to be handled.

36 minutes ago, jofwu said:

"Taln" definitely had an honorblade. Brandon seems to have called it that on many occasions.

Don't recall any definite WoB on that, could you link? :)

36 minutes ago, jofwu said:

You can intentionally drop an Honorblade and make it disappear and you can intentionally drop a regular Shardblade and make it stay. But the "default" seems to be opposite of those.

What is this coming from? So far we have seen Honorblades in the Prelude where they were intentionally made to stay and in Szeth's PoV and IIRC it disappeared as regular Shardblade does.

Taln's is debated here, so it's not evidence.

Edited by Ookla the Sunrise Watcher

I can't find anywhere that he has been directly asked something like "Does 'Taln' have an honorblade in the TWoK epilogue?" because it's pretty much just assumed to be the case. I don't see that Brandon has ever corrected questions that assume this and his answers would be uncharacteristically misleading if that's wrong. These for example.

Concerning dropping Honorblades and Shardblades there's this WoB. When Szeth drops his blade and it disappears this is presumably because he willed it to disappear. And of course this further supports the idea that "Taln" has an Honorblade, because the man seems to unwittingly drop the blade and it stays.

As you pointed out, I'm not sure if we're certain that "Taln's" Honorblade is, in fact, the Honorblade of Talenel'Elin. Could be some other Honorblade. But to suggest otherwise is basically theorizing at this point. The ONLY reason we have to believe Taln isn't legitimate is Brandon's teasing refusal to call him Talenel.