Wiki Editing 101?

Jofwu

As I'm getting my feet wet with editing Coppermind I find myself learning new things frequently. As far as I'm aware, there's not really a "How To" guide for people interested in getting involved. I'm aware of the Help:Contents page, but it's more like a collection of helpful info than a guide for new folks. Particularly for those who are new to editing wikis in general.

Would it be helpful if I tried to organize my thoughts on this into a kind of "onboarding" document? Something that's easy for new people to find and get caught up to speed? It would cover things like...

• setting up an account and user page
  • how to navigate Coppermind and make edits
  • important stylistic information
  • basic article formats
  • templates
  • categories
  • citations and references
  • etiquite

Again, a lot of these things are covered under the Help:Contents page, but I feel like these are written in a way that assume you're very familiar with how wikis work.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe it would be better to just make comments on the existing Help pages?

our help pages were written mostly by people very familiar with how wikis work (aka me mostly, plus some from the other staff). please feel free to edit the help pages adding in anything you discover that's missing from them?

the article formats and rules as to what templates/categories etc are stuff we've been meaning to work on defining more, but haven't had much time for them.

I'm always around to be asked questions about this stuff btw

4 hours ago, Joe ST said:

I'm always around to be asked questions about this stuff btw

Is this forum the best way to contact you? I often have question while trying to edit but decide they're too silly to make a post about. I'd like to get more involved in editing but I'm never sure how much I should change things without consulting somebody else.

change as much as you feel up to changing, it's a wiki we can always change things back. if you really don't feel up to changing what's there you can copy the article/passage to somewhere under your userpage and improve it there before merging it back or w/e

1 hour ago, Ookla the Sunrise Watcher said:

Is editing and posting here on Shard about what I changed good way to do it?

I don't think there's a need to post in these forums about your edits unless it's something you're not sure about. Especially if the change is minor/trivial.