Sentient Awakened Sword Commands

Elenion

I like Protect Me as a foolproof command for self-preservation.

Hmmm... what about "Deliver Justice"? On one hand you could get a sword that rewards the good in addition to fighting evil, but on the other hand you could end up with (SA)

Spoiler

Another Nale-style vigilante killer.

16 minutes ago, Ookla the Unpredictable said:

Hmmm... what about "Deliver Justice"? On one hand you could get a sword that rewards the good in addition to fighting evil, but on the other hand you could end up with (SA)

Hide contents

I think Deliver Justice would lead to the same issue as with Nightblood: no understanding of the concept of "justice".

I'd probably use "Be Sword".

11 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

That would be interesting, because it might not understand what "being a sword" means. That, or it would realize that it is already a sword and just wouldn't do anything.

I figured Nightblood seems to understand, though he doesn't like to be reminded that he is a sword. I expect it basically wouldn't do anything, which was the point. :P It would still be a highly invested weapon, so resistant to Shardblades and other magic.

"I Am A Sword"

Edited by Jondesu

I would Command it to 'Slice Perfectly' and make it the ultimate kitchen tool.

Or if I were being more serious, something like the Command that Vasher gives his cloak along the lines of 'Protect what I must' and hope it works. That would (in theory at least) allow the wielder to provide some of the understanding that a sword wouldn't have on its own, while being a bit broader than Spool's suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 11:20 AM, Elenion said:

Reveal hidden contents

I don't know that there is a fool proof command. Protect me could go wrong too. It could decide walking is too dangerous after "witnessing" you trip one day. Make you stay in one place for your own protection. It could decide eating is a potential choking hazard. Being a sword, it wouldn't understand the nature of eating. It could decide that anyone around you is a potential threat an therefore, immediately kill anyone within 20 feet of you, wether friend or foe... Kinda hard to beat the bad guy AND get the girl when your sword forces you to go all FF7 Sephiroth on her any time you come near her. Then again, maybe it was just protecting you from a broken heart... 

Ok. If I were to give a sword a command, I'd go with "Become an extension of my will."

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 4:05 AM, DarkJester said:

I don't know that there is a fool proof command. Protect me could go wrong too. It could decide walking is too dangerous after "witnessing" you trip one day. Make you stay in one place for your own protection. It could decide eating is a potential choking hazard. Being a sword, it wouldn't understand the nature of eating. It could decide that anyone around you is a potential threat an therefore, immediately kill anyone within 20 feet of you, wether friend or foe... Kinda hard to beat the bad guy AND get the girl when your sword forces you to go all FF7 Sephiroth on her any time you come near her. Then again, maybe it was just protecting you from a broken heart... 

Ok. If I were to give a sword a command, I'd go with "Become an extension of my will."

That comment about getting the girl honestly made me laugh.

That last command would be awesome as long as a Sentient AA can take a command that long.

On 12/10/2016 at 6:05 AM, DarkJester said:

I think that would be almost impossible to form as a mental command.  Too many possibilities.  Destroy Evil was already a tough command (I think intentionally to a degree, attempting to force as many Breaths into Nightblood as possible), but that one would probably fail.  Vasher's command to his cloak tassels was probably the most complex successful command we've actively seen, but it relied on having a very specific purpose.  Protect Me was closer, with the cloak, but that was still a fairly straightforward mental command (blocking anything coming at him that would hurt him).

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination".

Very complex but I would just love to see what the result would be. 

Especially since (Stormlight Archive Spoiler):

Spoiler

Nightblood is akin to a third generation shardblade and an artificial spren. 

Edited by shadowwisp

38 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

Especially since (Stormlight Archive Spoiler):

Reveal hidden contents

Nightblood is akin to a third generation shardblade and an artificial spren. 

Spoiler

Nightblood is actually stronger than sprenblades in power by magnitudes. Comparing them is doing a great injustice to Nightblood's strength.

Just now, Spoolofwhool said:
  Hide contents

Nightblood is actually stronger than sprenblades in power by magnitudes. Comparing them is doing a great injustice to Nightblood's strength.

Spoiler

Yup, I know. Which is why I said it was like a third generation shardblade. That's what Brandon Sanderson calls it.