Nightblood's Aura

Jondesu

I just finished another reread of Warbreaker, and I realized there's something that I haven't seen discussed much, if at all (I went back and searched and found only cursory mentions mostly, but I very well may have missed some).

Why does Nightblood's BioChromatic Aura (assuming that's what it is and there's not something else going on) cause colors to deepen?  Darken, I can understand, and that's part of it, but doesn't seem to be all of it:

“The colors in the room deepened slightly. They didn't grow brighter-not like the guard's vest had when he approached Vasher. Instead, they grew stronger. Darker. Reds became maroon. Yellows hardened to gold. Blues approached navy.”

“It seemed to darken colors. Deepen them. Make tans into browns, reds into maroons, blues into navies.”

Just darkening the colors alone would make them, well, just darker.  Deepening is implying something else.  Even if not, compare that to how it's described when someone gives away all their Breath (reducing their BioChromatic aura):

Vasher while without Breath (from his perspective):

“The figure's straw feet were stained red. The crimson blood seemed so dull to Vasher.”

The girl who provides a Breath for Lightsong, from his perspective:

“The girl grew dull. The color of her face and eyes faded slightly, though the change was very difficult to see. Her brown hair lost some of its luster, her cheeks became more bland.”

Nightlbood doesn't make things dull, as if he was somehow suppressing a BioChromatic Aura, but I also don't really see how the idea of corrupted Investiture (which is I believe confirmed to be the reason for the black smoke) would play into that either.

I don't have a theory here, only questions.  Has anyone put thought into that strange Aura that Nightblood has?

I know there was a brief chat on this topic over at the  tor.com Warbreaker reread, although it was more with how Night blood will cause an object to turn black, whereas perfect Awakening turns it white. I suggested that perhaps it has to do with how colour/light acts in nature. That what we perceive as colour is actually just the electromagnetic energy that is REFLECTED off an object and not absorbed. So when the God king Awakens, hes actually improving an object's reflection of light, instead of just draining it of colour. His aura causes light to bend off of white objects, and coloured objects seem to reflect the "perfect" version of their colour. So maybe what Nightblood's aura is doing, is causing the objects to reflect LESS of their perfect colour? Or just the darker version of it? 

Someone else on the tor.com thread mentioned additive colours and subtractive colours , which may also help to explain the differences...

• Chaos locked this topic