About the 10 gas giants [AU Spoilers]

My first thought on seeing the system map for the rosharan solar system is that the 10 suspiciously similar gas giants via some connection with the heralds form the barrier that keeps Odium imprisoned within the roshar system. Especially as all 10 are on the outer edge of the system.

1 hour ago, AndrolGenhald said:

Perhaps Odium is Invested in Braize (do we know anything about that? Or do we just know he's there?) so he can't leave, and the orbits of the gas giants make it difficult/impossible to move the planet out of the system?

He has the ability to affect the entire Greater Roshar System. My opinion is that he is invested in Roshar, but is forced to keep closer to Braize for the most part.

I'm partial to the idea that each Herald ended up on their respective gas giant when they died and/or a Desolation ended. The tortuure wasn't exactly what Honor intended, but the arrangement somehow helped contain Odium, and that was intended. 

Edited by DSC01

I have a lot of questions about how a Herald could go to a gas giant though. There's not even a solid surface on a gas giant. I don't see how that would work at all. In addition to that, Kalak's thoughts in the prelude suggests a singular place all the Heralds go to, rather than an individual world.

My current theory on the gas giants and the Heralds based on some of the things I've seen in this thread.

1. Honor used the Honorblades to bind each of the Heralds to a gas giant, trapping Odium in the system.
  2. Odium decides the best way to destroy the planets and leave the system is to torture/break/kill the Heralds.
  3. The cycle of Desolations begin.

IIrc, there is a WoB that the Desolations were an unintended consequence of the Oathpact and the Heralds blame Honor for what happened to them. THis could explain why. Also, if someone knows the WoB I'm talking about, could they post it here.

1 hour ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

My current theory on the gas giants and the Heralds based on some of the things I've seen in this thread.

1. Honor used the Honorblades to bind each of the Heralds to a gas giant, trapping Odium in the system.
  2. Odium decides the best way to destroy the planets and leave the system is to torture/break/kill the Heralds.
  3. The cycle of Desolations begin.

IIrc, there is a WoB that the Desolations were an unintended consequence of the Oathpact and the Heralds blame Honor for what happened to them. THis could explain why. Also, if someone knows the WoB I'm talking about, could they post it here.

This would imply though that the Honorblades were given to the Heralds independent of the Oathpact, which then makes the fact that they left the Honorblades as a mean to sunder their connection to the Oathpact illogical. Unless you're suggesting that at the same time the Oathpact was modified at that time to include the binding of Odium? 

2 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

This would imply though that the Honorblades were given to the Heralds independent of the Oathpact, which then makes the fact that they left the Honorblades as a mean to sunder their connection to the Oathpact illogical. Unless you're suggesting that at the same time the Oathpact was modified at that time to include the binding of Odium? 

I guess my last post wasn't clear. I think the original Oathpact bound Odium by binding the Heralds to the planets with the Honorblades. The torture was an unintended side effect of the Oathpact that was caused by Odium's reaction to it. The Desolations may have been part of the original deal as well.

21 hours ago, Windrunner said:

I have a lot of questions about how a Herald could go to a gas giant though. There's not even a solid surface on a gas giant. I don't see how that would work at all. In addition to that, Kalak's thoughts in the prelude suggests a singular place all the Heralds go to, rather than an individual world.

I have the same questions but gosh, Cosmere fiction can change a whole lot of things. I mean, Cosmere has literal magic so survivability within a gas giant could be a legitimate possibility.

Wish I could jump about fifteen years into the future to where some of these questions might be answered.

Speaking of, I really wonder... you know how Harry Potter had books published that contained SOLELY theories? I wonder if the Cosmere will have some of those eventually.

1 hour ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

I guess my last post wasn't clear. I think the original Oathpact bound Odium by binding the Heralds to the planets with the Honorblades. The torture was an unintended side effect of the Oathpact that was caused by Odium's reaction to it. The Desolations may have been part of the original deal as well.

I got that. The problem with your theory though is that by WoB, binding Odium was a side effect of the Oathpact, implying Odium being caught was not the reason it was made, at least, the intended reason. 

That's . . . almost a given to be honest. That Roshar was Adonalsium's creation. Hell, most things in the cosmere are in that category.

With that said massively altering planets or even moving orbits is not very difficult for Shards, assuming they actually know enough astrophysics to do it without ruining it all.

It may be a crazy idea, but we've seen some pretty big spren. What if each of the gas giants is a spren bonded to each of the heralds?
It would make sense for the heralds, stronger than the knights radiant, to have larger or more powerful spren.
We've seen flamespren, so a 'gasspren' wouldn't be completely out of the question.

2 hours ago, Demoux said:

It may be a crazy idea, but we've seen some pretty big spren. What if each of the gas giants is a spren bonded to each of the heralds?
It would make sense for the heralds, stronger than the knights radiant, to have larger or more powerful spren.
We've seen flamespren, so a 'gasspren' wouldn't be completely out of the question.

That would be one insanely,INSANELY big spren lol. I mean its too conspicuous for them to have nothing to do with the Heralds, I just dont see them being spren. But who knows. Ive been wrong many, many many times when it comes to the Cosmere. Its why I love it so much.

It could very simply be that each of the ten planets were named after the Heralds because that's how Roshar does things. Everything is in tens, sure, that's divine intervention there... But each planet being named after a Herald? Could simply be a result of a pious astronomer.

On 11/25/2016 at 0:57 PM, hellfun said:

The Planets are at least named after the Heralds. However after what we saw in Mistborn it schould be possible for Odium to just take Braize physicaly and run.

12 hours ago, Zmann966 said:

It could very simply be that each of the ten planets were named after the Heralds because that's how Roshar does things. Everything is in tens, sure, that's divine intervention there... But each planet being named after a Herald? Could simply be a result of a pious astronomer.

I think it's incorrect to claim that the ten gas giants are named after the Heralds - at least not directly. The planets bear names that match the names of numbers in the Alethi language; they are literally called One, Two, Three, and so on. What is interesting is that the Heralds' names share linguistic root with those same numbers, but considering that we know some of the Heralds' original names don't sound very much like the numbers (e.g. Nale), I think it's likely that the Alethi language and culture warped the Heralds' names to look more similar to the numbers' names. In other words, I believe the names of the numbers came before the (modified) names of the Heralds, and not the other way around - though it would've made a certain amount of sense for the Alethi to change their language to emulate the Heralds' names. 

With this in mind, I am reasonably confident that the gas giants were named after the numbers 1-10, not after the Heralds.

12 minutes ago, Argent said:

I think it's incorrect to claim that the ten gas giants are named after the Heralds - at least not directly. The planets bear names that match the names of numbers in the Alethi language; they are literally called One, Two, Three, and so on. What is interesting is that the Heralds' names share linguistic root with those same numbers, but considering that we know some of the Heralds' original names don't sound very much like the numbers (e.g. Nale), I think it's likely that the Alethi language and culture warped the Heralds' names to look more similar to the numbers' names. In other words, I believe the names of the numbers came before the (modified) names of the Heralds, and not the other way around - though it would've made a certain amount of sense for the Alethi to change their language to emulate the Heralds' names. 

With this in mind, I am reasonably confident that the gas giants were named after the numbers 1-10, not after the Heralds.

Hear hear! I didn't like the idea that these planets would actually matter in the first place, and this confirms it for me.

1 hour ago, Argent said:

its not about what their named

Its that there are EXACTLY TEN. and all seemingly identical or very similar.