Non-Sapient Creatures Can Worldhop

Titan Arum

Prior to the release of Khriss' essay on the Drominad System by Tor, I included a question for Brandon to answer in my pre-order. I wanted to know if Patji's Eye was a perpendicularity on First of the Sun, and if so would a creature like a Nightmaw worldhop. The first part is a RAFO...and probably a legitimate "read and find out" because Khriss more or less confirms this without saying it's Patji's Eye.

However, Brandon did answer the second part of my question: non-sapeint creatures can worldhop, but it's hard.

My motive for this question was that a long time ago I wondered if Thunderclast were from other worlds (probably not) and if Aviar could be on other planets on their own accord (I originally thought maybe Denth's parrot could be an Aviar). So for fun, I wanted to see if Nightmaw could worldhop, because come on, how crazy scary would it be to run across a Nightmaw on Roshar or Scadrial or Nalthis?! Now I also imagine every horse in the Cosmere is a Ryshadium that wants to kick every stranger in the head.

All in all, this isn't a big WOB, but it's at least somewhat interesting. 

Arcanum_Unbounded.jpg

5 minutes ago, Titan Arum said:

So for fun, I wanted to see if Nightmaw could worldhop, because come on, how crazy scary would it be to run across a Nightmaw on Roshar or Scadrial or Nalthis?!

Because Roshar is not terrifying enough as it is...

This is an interesting topic here. Obviously the perpendicularity (if it is indeed Patji's Eye, which I'm assuming is the case) is in a dangerous location and that makes it tough to worldhop, thus giving a reason for the Ones Above to be going there via FTL spaceships. But they're clearly also very interested in the Aviar, and if the Aviar are so difficult to worldhop with, it makes sense they'd use more mundane means of planetary travel to transport them.

32 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

This is an interesting topic here. Obviously the perpendicularity (if it is indeed Patji's Eye, which I'm assuming is the case) is in a dangerous location and that makes it tough to worldhop, thus giving a reason for the Ones Above to be going there via FTL spaceships. But they're clearly also very interested in the Aviar, and if the Aviar are so difficult to worldhop with, it makes sense they'd use more mundane means of planetary travel to transport them.

That's an odd point that just hit me, though. If the Ones Above wanted the aviar, but could worldhop, why not just come in through the pool, grab the birds, and go? No need to go out into the rest of the island. I don't think the Ones Above can worldhop, or at least they don't know about the perpendicularity.

11 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

That's an odd point that just hit me, though. If the Ones Above wanted the aviar, but could worldhop, why not just come in through the pool, grab the birds, and go? No need to go out into the rest of the island. I don't think the Ones Above can worldhop, or at least they don't know about the perpendicularity.

According to Khriss in AU, everyone sent by Silverlight to "the area around the perpendicularity" has not returned. The risk to worldhop is thus too great. Better to come as traders to get Aviar and use the likes of Sixth of the Dusk and Vathi's organization to try and acquire Aviar.

I also still think Vathi is Khriss. Before White Sand was published, I asked Brandon at a signing once if we had seen Vathi in any of his other published works. He first paused and verbally though about it by saying "Uhhhhhh...no." 

19 minutes ago, Titan Arum said:

I also still think Vathi is Khriss. Before White Sand was published, I asked Brandon at a signing once if we had seen Vathi in any of his other published works. He first paused and verbally though about it by saying "Uhhhhhh...no." 

She's not. I explicitly asked him in Denver on the SoS tour if she were Khriss and he said no.

3 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

She's not. I explicitly asked him in Denver on the SoS tour if she were Khriss and he said no.

Dang. I must have missed that WoB. There were so many coming out on those tours without a good way to track them all. Thanks for the update PallonianFire!

This is an interesting thought. I wonder how weird it would be as well, if a worldhopper is wandering through Shadesmar when they suddenly come upon a Nightmaw which had stumbled into Patji's Eye and someone accessed its power as a perpendicularity and moved to Shadesmar. Makes me wonder how long they wander there until they eventually come across another perpendicularity and manage to access it in order to get out, how often that happens, and how many are simply killed by the dangers of Shadesmar.

51 minutes ago, Titan Arum said:

According to Khriss in AU, everyone sent by Silverlight to "the area around the perpendicularity" has not returned. The risk to worldhop is thus too great. Better to come as traders to get Aviar and use the likes of Sixth of the Dusk and Vathi's organization to try and acquire Aviar.

I know, but I think that's because they were trying to explore, and quickly fell foul of the Nightmaws and other dangers on Patji. That tells me the people who came through the perpindicularity aren't there after the aviar (specifically), but are probably like Khriss, there to gain knowledge. That also tells me the Ones Above probably don't worldhop through the Cognitive Realm, or at least aren't know by Khriss and Khrew™.

*Not actually trademarked.

I think that when Brandon said that it happens, he was probably referring to things like the horses that the Ire use.

I imagine that since all known Perpendicularities exist on land, if an animal were to pass through one it would immediately fall through the insubstantial ocean of the Cognitive.

When Khriss said the other 2 planets are inhabited by humans I figured the Ones Above would be from one of them. Space travel within a solar system is significantly easier than between solar systems, and they wouldn't have access to (or likely even knowledge about) a perpendicularity, so it's no surprise they wouldn't use it to steal the Aviar.

14 minutes ago, AndrolGenhald said:

When Khriss said the other 2 planets are inhabited by humans I figured the Ones Above would be from one of them. Space travel within a solar system is significantly easier than between solar systems, and they wouldn't have access to (or likely even knowledge about) a perpendicularity, so it's no surprise they wouldn't use it to steal the Aviar.

That's a strong assumption that they're from one of the other planets in the Drominad System. I doubt it is the case given the evidence we do have. We probably won't see many/any novels/stories on planets where there hasn't been some type of Shardic-intervention before. Thus I think given the additional information gleaned from AU, the likely candidate for the Ones Above is still probably the Scadrians. Khriss wrote that after Silverlight, only the Scadrians are the most technologically advanced in the Cosmere and possibly could have been more advanced if it weren't for the Lord Ruler's intervention. Granted, my assumptions could also be wrong since Sixth of the Dusk is the most forward time-wise of all the Cosmere related work out to date.

2 minutes ago, Titan Arum said:

That's a strong assumption that they're from one of the other planets in the Drominad System. I doubt it is the case given the evidence we do have. We probably won't see many/any novels/stories on planets where there hasn't been some type of Shardic-intervention before. Thus I think given the additional information gleaned from AU, the likely candidate for the Ones Above is still probably the Scadrians. Khriss wrote that after Silverlight, only the Scadrians are the most technologically advanced in the Cosmere and possibly could have been more advanced if it weren't for the Lord Ruler's intervention. Granted, my assumptions could also be wrong since Sixth of the Dusk is the most forward time-wise of all the Cosmere related work out to date.

Khriss says "Surely other planets in the cosmere have seen worse disasters, but on none of them will you finda thriving, technologically advanced society as exists on Scadrail." The way I read that she's not saying there aren't other places more advanced, she's saying that places more advanced haven't had disasters on the scale of those on Scadrial.

Also Silverlight's study of planets without perpendicularities is extremely limited, so would they even know how technologically advanced they are? Possibly, but it's not certain. Khriss even says "...travel on and off the planets (at least in the Physical Realm) is dependent upon perpendicularities..." which makes it sound to me like she isn't even aware of space travel. Do we know when these essays were written?

17 hours ago, AndrolGenhald said:

Do we know when these essays were written?

If I recall correctly, some time ago (when the AU having essays was announced), Brandon said that we would find Sixth of the Dusk essay interesting because it's written long before the Ones Above visited the First of the Sun, or something along those lines. At any rate, the meaning was that at least this one essay was written quite a while before the events of the story.

17 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Brandon has said that the Ones Above are a group we have seen before. So they are not from the Drominad as at that time we had not seen the other two worlds in the system at all.

Unless they're part of the Ghostbloods or some other group we've technically seen, but just affiliated with them. That'd be a stretch, though.

• Chaos locked this topic