[AU Spoilers] Hemalurgy in Cosmere

Thunder_93

Hi everyone,

I think it's only a minor spoiler for Arcanum Unbounded... still said it anyways.

To my topic: In the part "The Scadrian System (written by Kriss) at page 152, there's following sentence:

"I maintain, however, that the one of these with the largest potential impact on the cosmere is Hemalurgy. Usable by anyone with the right knowledge, this dangerous creation has proven able to warp souls regardless of planet or Investiture, creating false Connections that no Shard designed or intended."

As she writes, it has proven to have effects, regardsless of planet or Investiture, which means, it actually was used somewhere else, not only by the Kandra-Worldhopper, as it also says, regardless of Investiture. Which means, with Investiture of another Shard then Preservation or Ruin.

Any idea if there are any hints, where this was meant? Just hit me, maybe the strange spike from Bleeder of Shadow of Self was meant - but that's not an explanation for the different planet (the Worldhopper-Kandra surely got it's spikes on Scadrial).

If you (with the right knowledge) take a piece of pure iron and smash into someone chest on Roshar (for example), with the will to steal a chunk of that poor guy's soul, you will get a standard Hemalurgic Spike fueled and linked to Ruin.

There is no reason to think that she experienced to see Hemalurgy with another Shard's Investiture.

In the end she may also never saw Hemalurgy works out of Scadrial but with her Realmatic Knowledge she understand how Hemalurgy works and deduct that it has no spacial limit (as quite all the magic systems)

Edited by Yata

I know that it was discussed, that in theory, Hemalurgy is usable on other planets (for example: for stealing someones (dead) Shardblade).

But this seems to me, that this is actually a proof, that it was used on other planets, and not only that it would be possible.

About the Investiture: I agree with you, it would be a normal Hemalurgic Spike and be linked to Ruin.
Maybe I didn't say it correctly, what I mean. I understand that as the proof, that it was used for something not linked to Preservation or Ruin (so, nothing to do with Allomancy or Feruchemy). Maybe Breath? A Shardblade, or just whatever?
Maybe, it's to understand the "regardless of Investiture" as anyone might receive the spike, whatever kind of Investiture he has before... I don't know.

But as she writes it, it really seems to me as a proof, that A), it really was used on other planets (which I think so far we only had Assumptions, no proofs) and B.), it was used for something else then Allomancy or Feruchemy (and I don't think it's something meant like Humanstrength, like for a Koloss. Human strength has nothing to do with Investiture, does it?)

Now I understand what you want to say.

Probably we read it in different way, I read it as "regard of Investiture" as "there aren't requirements"(no sDNA restriction)  and "regard of a planet" as "without the need of specific resources".

Surelly I don't know there weren't Cosmere-wide use of Hemalurgy, If I don't remember wrong we have actually a WoB about. But I don't think her essay says something about the effective uses of Hemalurgy in other places.

Not worthless at all! No one has provided the actual quote yet, with good reason - it's brand-new information. At least, the first I've seen of it came from the AU release party. We've seen offworld Hemalurgy somewhere before, but it's not obvious at all - so it will be like hunting for the Kandra worldhopper. Felt is my #1 suspect, since he's from Scadrial and all. Although, the Ghostbloods seem to have a lot of magical trophies from other worlds, so maybe one of their members has a spike in them?

Oh,  at least its new info :P

Hmm,  maybe. Maybe it's the woman with the mask of the ghostblood (forgot her name). She might actually be from Scadrial (as the mask looks like them from the south) and i dont remember...  Did you see her eyes?  Maybe she wears the mask to hide one or two eyespikes. 

Or probably Denth,  from Warbreaker.  I've read that guesses here too, because he's so fast.  Maybe he got a spike for strel ferochemy,  or just human speed (like Kolosses get human strengh...). So far,  this are my best guesses. 

It would be interesting if Ruin (or now Harmomy) can talk to people with spikes on other planets.  Then you could search for people that look insane and hear voices (who knows,  maybe its Dalinar and that's why he gets visions :P Lol,  of course,  i dont think so,  just a joke

2 minutes ago, Thunder_93 said:

It would be interesting if Ruin (or now Harmomy) can talk to people with spikes on other planets.  Then you could search for people that look insane and hear voices (who knows,  maybe its Dalinar and that's why he gets visions :P Lol,  of course,  i dont think so,  just a joke

Mistborn SH things

Spoiler

Ruin's influence appeared to be bound to Scadrial, like Preservation's. While an invested shard seems able to be aware of events beyond their world, their ability to influence events is likely limited. As such, I don't think it would be possible for Ruin (or Harmony) to affect people off Scadrial, even with spikes.

• Chaos locked this topic