Has Brandon Chaged the Canon? [Edgedancer Spoilers]

BlackYeti

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2016 at 4:13 PM, axcellence said:

Probably a mistborn:secret history thing

Reveal hidden contents

Kelsier stayed longer in the cognitive realm, and could thus return via spike.  In contrast, others stayed in the cognitive realm fleetingly before going to the other place.

This was the thought that came to my mind.

Spoiler

I also think it's connected to how long someone can stay in the Cognitive Realm after death before going to The Beyond. Mistborn who are well practiced with Allomancy can stay alive longer in the Cognitive Realm after death. So, it would make sense if a well practiced Surgebinder would be able to stay there longer too. Szeth was probably still in the Cognitive Realm when he was healed whereas the person Lift tried to save had already gone to The Beyond.

I always buy both the Kindle version and the audiobook, so in this case, I have both versions of the WoR ending, the original in the audible format and the newer version on my Kindle. Both versions work for me, yet I don't see Kaladin killing Szeth as  out of character, even now that he has been changed by saying the 3rd set of words. He was protecting Dalinar. In the earlier version Szeth had not released his blade. That happened when I died. Kaladin had no reason to believe that Szeth would now no longer hunt Dalinar. I also like the idea that using Syl to kill him allowed for Nale to be able to heal even the shard blade killing. 

On the other hand, I like the idea that Szeth finally accepts that he was never Truthless and opens himself up to be killed. In this case, Kaladin could see that Szeth's mission was over. When Szeth released the honor blade, he no longer was protected by it and the storm did it's work.

• Chaos locked this topic