Edgedancer Ch 1-3 previews [Edgedancer Spoilers]

Chaos

Hey guys,

Brandon just posted Chapters 1-3 of Edgedancer. Check it out here: http://www.tor.com/2016/11/21/a-new-stormlight-archive-story-arcanum-unbounded-edgedancer-chapters-1-3/

This is the only stuff that we can discuss of Edgedancer today, but we'll be able to discuss the rest, and Arcanum Unbounded as a whole, tomorrow!

Despite my general dislike of Lift and the language Brandon tends to use in her POVs (feels way too much like Reckoners, IMO), I'm enjoying this so far. Edgedancers are just cool.

Hauka seems like a prime KR candidate.

It's good to get that confirmation that Lift asked the Nightwatcher to "stay the same," and that's why she's so childish.

Still frustrated by her little chats with Wyndle and the avoidance of giving us information.

Two relevant topics from the summer: here and here.

There was a lot of thought that Hauka might be a proto-Radiant, possibly a Skybreaker. I didn't like it at the time, but it's grown on me; she's not getting infused spheres to intentionally Surgebind, but it could be a breadcrumb that she might later do it on accident.

The black dust at the end was also intriguing, since White Sand wasn't out when this passage was previewed in the newsletter. I wonder if there's any connection, if there are microorganisms in Lift's that convert food to Stormlight like the lichen on Taldain do with sunlight and water. Or it could just be residue left by Wyndle, which I think was the conclusion we reached last time.

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Hey guys,

Brandon just posted Chapters 1-3 of Edgedancer. Check it out here: http://www.tor.com/2016/11/21/a-new-stormlight-archive-story-arcanum-unbounded-edgedancer-chapters-1-3/

This is the only stuff that we can discuss of Edgedancer today, but we'll be able to discuss the rest, and Arcanum Unbounded as a whole, tomorrow!

Is there a typo in the 4th paragraph? Is it not meant to be "axehounds" not "axehinds"? Or am I missing something?

Just now, Demoux said:

Is there a typo in the 4th paragraph? Is it not meant to be "axehounds" not "axehinds"? Or am I missing something?

I recall seeing a couple missing spaces, so it's possible there are some typos in the post. I had interpreted axehinds as being more like a Roshar rabbit (more powerful hind legs), where axehounds were Roshar dogs. 

Hauka as a proto-Radiant also jumped out at me - I think it's quite probable in future (except, meta-narrative wise, that places Hauka across the country from just about every other major character in the world, which makes them unlikely to be seen in anything other than the interlude chapters, IMO.)  I greatly enjoyed it.

Just in general, does anyone else think that Brandon's moved a lot more towards the lighter, comedic end of the spectrum with his works lately? It's just something I've noticed - going back, you've got Calamity, BoM, SoS, Firefight... You need to go back to Words of Radiance to get a novel that I would describe as more epic fantasy than light page turner. (Not that I have anything against light page turners - it's just an observation I've made.) Edgedancer's continued to follow along that path.

On 11/22/2016 at 2:45 AM, Ookla the Indefinable said:

Just in general, does anyone else think that Brandon's moved a lot more towards the lighter, comedic end of the spectrum with his works lately? It's just something I've noticed - going back, you've got Calamity, BoM, SoS, Firefight... You need to go back to Words of Radiance to get a novel that I would describe as more epic fantasy than light page turner. (Not that I have anything against light page turners - it's just an observation I've made.) Edgedancer's continued to follow along that path.

Of the 4 books you mentioned.. 2 are YA books, and 2 are what BS has described as "serials".  All four with the main (or second main) character a comic/jokester.   None of the four are (IMHO) intended to be what BS would describe as Epics.   I'm highly certain w/ Oathbringer, and Elantris sequel, we'll see Epics.

• Chaos locked this topic