A Tale of Investigations, Intrigue, and Irritating Princes

KChan

kiki.png

Pandemonium reigned in the streets of Tolvera.

Oh, the guards kept things from getting out of hand, but they were overworked and exhausted. She knew the signs well, after all, and these men desperately needed a reprieve. But word of the incident had spread like wildfire, throwing the people of the city into a frenzied panic. It was all the guards could do to keep the situation from escalating into some sort of riot.

They had just missed the event itself, but there was no way Kierra was going to let this pass her by. The whole thing had excitement and mystery and adventure written all over it, and who better to investigate unexplained incidents than a Vhaskar? She imagined the Crown Prince would be sending word to the Highlands soon, if he hadn't already. Well, he was going to get more than he'd bargained for.

"What do you make of it?" she asked her companions as they made their way through the streets. "This incident everyone's all in a fuss about."

• 2 weeks later...

Nasir followed at Kierra's side in his usual place, a half-step behind her. He was alert, particularly today, keeping a close eye on the tightly-wound Tolverans in the street. They were out in greater numbers than would be expected on a day not set for market, and many of them looked strained and nervous. The city guards were stretched even tauter, many of them beginning to show their frustration and anger in harshly sending the citizens about their business. Conflict was beginning to surface out of the fear and anxiety. One push back at the guards, one man demanding answers that couldn't be given, that was all it would take. It was a disaster waiting to happen, and Nasir intended to make certain that they were safe if things spiraled out of control.

Kiki, of course, was excited; Nasir could see the barely contained energy in her stride and the lines of her posture. The idea of a mystery to solve fascinated her, and the instant they had heard about the Ohn woman, he had known that nothing would stop her from going to investigate, whether the Crown Prince wanted her help or not. He had the feeling that the Tolveran royal would not be unhappy to see Kiki again, of course - he had taken quite a liking to her on their last meeting.

"I am not sure what to think," Nasir replied in his usual serene tone, as if he were talking about the weather. Not a trace of his concern over the mood in the city touched his face. "I have never seen the dead walk, let alone speak, and I do not believe in prophecy."

Edited by borborygmus

kikismall.png

"There are many unknown phenomena in our world," Kiki remarked absently, already deep in thought at what could be behind this. "Some claim prophecy is real, but so far, any accounts of it that I have encountered are far from substantiated."

"A channeler with enough knowledge of how body works could, theoretically, have taken a dead body and made it appear to have been moving on its own," Harran offered, sounding thoughtful. "A rather distasteful act if you ask me, but I think it could be done."

"Like a puppeteer?" Kiki asked, curious.

"Something like that, yes. It would have to be someone of considerable knowledge and skill, though. An exceptionally rare talent. And that is for only for movement. Speaking, however... Now that would be even more difficult. Extremely so."

"Sound manipulation?" Kiki suggested. "They would have to be close, though, I think, to have done this. And that's only if there really is a puppeteer at all. A true mystery..."

"Would there be traces left behind of such channeling?" Nasir put in. This was a discussion which he could not enter into very effectively, as despite Kiki's attempts to teach him channeling, he still did not entirely grasp the finer details of the theory behind it. It was an instinctive thing for him, to begin with, and Kiki's explanations were unfortunately vague and sometimes incomprehensible. He had no idea if it was even possible to detect any kind of residue left behind after the use of Ley energy.

Harran and Kiki, however, were both experienced channelers. As a healer, Harran might be particularly well equipped to take on the challenge - and strange incidents involving Leyht were the Vhaskari stock in trade.

kikismall.png

"It's likely," Kiki confirmed, her mind racing. "But I can't investigate the scene as-is. I'll get better access to everything once we've said hello to the Prince."

"Not dressed like that, you aren't," Harran pointed out, "Or it will be extremely difficult for us to leave quietly."

"Point taken," Kiki said, looking down at her current outfit. She was dressed like a traveler, if a wealthier one than some, and her hair was still cut short. This was not how the Prince remembered her, and Harran was right: if he saw her like this, it would blow her cover.

"We need to change," she announced to the group at large, veering them off toward the first inn she laid eyes on. It looked nice enough on the outside, and they were already in the nicer part of the city, so it was good enough as any. "This place will do, I think."

Nasir followed Kiki on her sudden tangential path, without much surprise at the change of direction. He was somewhat used to Kiki's plans changing and developing from moment to moment. He did still give the inn a sharp examination and appraisal, but fortunately this part of the city was quieter than the more heavily populated area they had just left behind. It was where the wealthy lived, and the wealthy valued their order. As a result, there were more guards here to keep the peace, even though the peace needed more keeping elsewhere. That was the way of things in Alteiryn. It worked to their advantage, and that was primarily what concerned Nasir.

"How do you mean to disguise Harran?" he inquired. The last time Kiki had met the Tolveran prince, at the banquet, Harran had not accompanied them; however, this time Harran's expertise would seem to be particularly useful. Once again, Nasir expected that he would be taking the role of a servant himself; it was better for him to attract as little attention as possible when it came to visiting any dignitaries at all, whether Masran or Altey. They still had the livery packed away somewhere.

Sayuri:

"Lord Tresting, the resale prices for Versilk are set in stone. The Berelanx don't barter much, and thus, neither can we." Sayuri eyed the plump lord with appraisal. He was very well dressed, but somehow Sayuri doubted the rare garment was meant for him. His wife stood off to the side. A beautiful young woman, with shiny golden curls and bright green eyes. She was also no more than half of Lord Tresting's age. While the Lord's clothing was fine and fashionable, his wife's wardrobe must have cost him half is fortune, if not three quarters. Priceless gems adorned her hair, neck, ears and fingers, and she was clothed in the finest of Leyari silks. It felt odd to see the fabric as a luxury, like an outsider. She had grown up surrounded by the stuff, but outside the Leya, Leyari silk was a treasure. Meeting Sayuri's gaze, Lady Tresting smiled delicately, but Sayuri caught a flash of arrogance in her eyes. He's likely to bankrupt himself on that one. I hope she's worth it.

"Of course Miss Tenaho. But surely you can make an exception for and old customer like myself?" Bored with Lord Tresting's blathering, Sayuri let her mind wander. Out of the corner of her eye, she watched the ornate doors to the inn open, as three travelers entered. Two mercenaries and a healer, unless Sayuri missed her guess. One had the dark skin and features of a Masran, and another was a woman with fair skin, delicate features, and blue-black hair. A female mercenary. Interesting. The woman certainly looked like she could use the swords she carried, but her delicate frame hardly seemed suited to hazards of mercenary life. She was tall however, and she walked with a predator's grace, so she likely did well for herself. As she took in the others, something about the Masran caught her eye. Growing up a Leyari had taught her to pay attention to details. She couldn't quite place an age on him, which she was normally good at, and something was off about his bodily proportions.

"I'm sorry Lord Tresting," she continued, recalling her attention the the man in front of her. "There's nothing I can do..." A fourth man had entered after the three, and was approaching them.

"May I help you?" Sayuri asked. Her tone lacked all the charm of a sales person, and seemed cold even to her hears. I'm an accountant she thought, What need have I of charm or smiles? Normally she would not have bothered, but Lord Tresting and his spoiled wife were boring her, and she welcomed any escape.

"I'm sorry," said the man. His accent and features marked him as a native of Tolvera, and he was dressed in the livery of the crown prince. "But do I have the pleasure of addressing Sayuri Tenaho, Master of Mathematics?"

"You do." Sayuri felt her voice grow colder. This man knew who she was, and from the sound of his voice, he wanted something from her. "But I am Academ no longer. I am an accountant now." Lord Tresting had developed a curious expression that made him look like a toddler, and Lady Tresting had stopped toying with the fringe of her shawl and was listening intently.

"His royal highness requests your presence at the palace immediately. Every available scholar and channeler of note is meeting there to discuss the incident."

"Well seeing as how I am neither, I suppose you will be content to leave me to my work?" Sayuri tried her best to scowl, but the page took no notice. Even after all these years, her Leyari reserve remained deeply ingrained within her, and she still had difficulty showing her emotions.

"Pardon me Maestra, but are you not one of the University's most celebrated mathematicians?"

"No. I might have been... once. But now, as I already told you, I am a lowly merchant's accountant. If his majesty's royal books need balancing, feel free to call on me, but until then I have work to do."

"Maestra, mere days ago a dead Ohnyrek broke through Tolveran gates and spoke prophecy. The greatest minds of Altieryn are meeting to discuss the import of this event. Your knowledge could be the key to some great breakthrough. You could be a part of history! Among the Tolveran Nobility, men and women are clamoring to be a part of the council, but only those who have the birth or talent are being allowed access. The voice of a distinguished Master such as yourself would surely be valued. How can you refuse such an opportunity?"

Sayuri eyed him blankly. "I suppose you have some sort of official order from the crown in case that stirring speech of yours fails."

"Yes Maestra."

Sayuri sighed. Part of her wanted to refuse anyway, just to be difficult. But another part seemed to cry out from within her, begging to be heard. She looked over the ledgers in front of her. Column after column, total after total, every inch of it was perfect. The sums were added, deductions removed, and notations made, all in her own immaculately artistic hand writing. And none of it had presented even the tiniest bit of challenge. She was fairly certain she could redo the entire thing and barter with Lord Tresting in her sleep. She had heard about the incident. All of Tolvera had by now, perhaps most of Altieryn. Some whispered of prophecy, others of demons, and still others of the mystical Eternal Conflux, which never seemed to stop being a topic of conversation. What would it be like to be the one to discover what was really going on? Or even to be there when it happened? She had not truly challenged herself since her breakthrough with Alexandre, and her mental muscles were itching to be stretched.

"Very well," she said, gathering her things. "Lord Tresting, I'm sure our head merchant would be more than happy to resume his discussion with you. I truly cannot say why he chose to send you to me in the first place."

kikismall.png

"I will present myself as a Healer in the personal service of Highlord Vhaskar's family," Harran explained as they made their way into the inn. "I already have the proper clothes, and that is all anyone will see."

"Perhaps we can get you a wig," Kiki joked. Harran said nothing, but he obviously wasn't amused. She just grinned and sought out the inkeeper. They had their lodging sought out in short order, but as they were on their way upstairs, she noticed a pair of voices engaged in a rather curious debate:

". . .The voice of a distinguised Master such as yourself would surely be valued. How can you refuse such an opportunity?"

"I suppose you have some sort of official order from the crown in case that stirring speech of yours fails."

Kiki said nothing, but glanced in the direction the voices had come from out of the corner of her eye. There was a messenger, obviously in the service of the Prince, speaking to... Was that a Leyari? She had the features, but Kiki had never seen a Leyari woman like this before: her hair was down, rather than tied in the complex knots favored by women of the Cherry Valley, and this one also had foregone both face paint and silks. Her clothes were simple, and she appeared to have been in the middle of some sort of negotiation before being interrupted by the Prince's summons (Kiki wasn't surprised by the interruption). A trader, perhaps? What was a 'distinguished Master' doing acting as a common merchant?

She remained silent, though, until the three reached the rooms they would be sharing. Only after she had put her things down and begun sorting through them did she speak up.

"Did you notice that little scene downstairs?" she asked.

• 3 weeks later...

Nasir’s eyes flicked over the common room, without much more than what appeared a casual glance, but he had noted the position and a rough estimate of the threat of each man and woman there. It was nothing but ingrained habit; they were, in all likelihood, safe from any attack here in an upscale inn. Still, it was a good habit to have, particularly when going anywhere with Kierra Vhaskar. If trouble didn’t look for her, she got bored and looked for it. More commonly, however, she did not have to expend any effort to land them all in the shorabat.

The short, almond-eyed woman was unusual; he did not recognize what people she came from. Somewhere in Alteiryn, certainly, but not somewhere he knew of. He gave her a second glance, still brief, and found her looking back at him with those odd, very pale blue eyes. She was speaking to a middle-aged nobleman, but was not attending to the bargaining; she was more interested in the three of them. That was not necessarily suspicious. After all, they were an odd group; two Vhaskari, one of them an armed woman, and a Masran traveling together. In return, Nasir felt free to study her for a moment. He did not doubt that many people did look at such a unusual individual.

Kiki and Harran were engaged in their own conversation, but as Nasir looked away, he kept his ears alert to listen to what the newcomer had to say to Sayuri Tenaho, Master of Mathematics. He easily recognized the man as a messenger of the Crown Prince, and in a matter of seconds the woman had gained in significance. A former Academ, and now an accountant? Strange. Even stranger was the fact that they wanted a mathematician to analyze the Ohnyrek’s ‘prophecy.’

He missed the last part of their conversation as Kiki led them up the stairs; he did not want to lag behind and let Master Tenaho know that he had been eavesdropping. It was a foregone conclusion that she would go to the palace regardless; an Academ did not refuse an order from the Crown Prince of Tolvera.

Nasir had not been the only one to observe her; Kiki asked about them as soon as they were in private. “I noticed,” he replied. “She also noticed us. Do you know anything about a Sayuri Tenaho? She is – or was - an Academ at the Tolveran University, studying mathematics. Apparently she is of considerable renown.”

kikismall.png

"Sayuri Tenaho?" Kiki asked, pulling out a gown of blue silk and beginning to rummage through her jewelry box. "I'm afraid not. Remember, I left home when I was sixteen, and even then I hadn't been in the Magisterium very long. She's from a different institution, and at that time, it was all I could do to to get to know the names of the members of my own." She began picking pieces out as she spoke, setting them out on her bed next to the gown.

"It's curious, though, isn't it?" she asked. "A 'Distinguished Master' working as a common trader? Judging from her apparel, she isn't even that successful as a merchant - or her employer isn't. And you can't tell me someone who got to the rank of Master of Mathematics would have trouble with a little bookkeeping. It doesn't add up."

Krh'rhl

Krh'rhl walked slowly toward the shattered gate, taking in many details. His footsteps, soft despite his bulk, alerted the several guards stationed in the entryway.

Krh'rhl stopped as a guard stepped forward. The guard speaking, "N-Name please... and your business..." The obvious shock of seeing an Earthshell after the incident causing the guard's voice to stutter and become higher pitched.

Krh'rhl winced inwardly. So loud, and so close. Why do I have to be here? Why must it be a city?

Those thoughts brought up a memory of two days ago...

It was what the Xanith called early morning. Krh'rhl had been traveling for many hours, when the ever present wrongness suddenly spiked in the northeast.

Krh'rhl stopped, this was a change to the sameness that was there ever since leaving his home and must be investigated. With the same calm gait as ever Krh'rhl turned, but Krh'rhl's mind turned, analyzing this new development.

The Guard's voice broke through the flash-back, firmer now though softer, "What is your name and business, kind Earthshell."

Krh'rhl's reply was accented and soft, "My name...is Krh'rhl" The name was spoken as a kind of extended rumble.

"My business...is mine." Feeling that the answers were satisfactory, Krh'rhl continued into the city.

The arrival of an Earthshell caused much stir among the city folk, who had never seen an Earthshell so deep within a Xanith settlement.

"Is that an Earthshell!?" "Where did it come from?" "Mommy, whaths tha' rock thin'?"

"Look, look! An Earthshell!" "Its like the histories...an Earthshell comes bearing a warning..."

Obviously uncomfortable, Krh'rhl ducks into a nearby inn...

Sayuri:

Once she was ready to leave, Sayuri was just about to follow the page out the door when she came face to face with an Earthshell. Strange things are indeed happening... She heard the young man nattering some sort of apology as he ushered the Earthshell into the inn, and then gestured for Sayuri to follow him out.

"Greetings Earthshell," she said with a polite bow. In her career as an Academ, she'd only met an Earthshell once, and that was during her travels. When she spoke, she kept her voice soft. She'd heard the timid creatures could be even more sensitive than the Leyari. "I hope your stay in the city is pleasant." She would have loved to converse with him more. The reclusive race of mountain dwellers interested her far more than other Xanethi, whose concerns all seemed so petty.

She followed the page out into the street, and was soon on her way to the palace, wondering what in the world would be waiting for her there.

• 2 months later...

kikismall.png

It was always strange seeing herself in a dress.

The dark blue silk rustled as Kiki moved, inspecting her reflection and making sure all was satisfactory. She didn't own many dresses these days, but sometimes it was actually easier to dress like the person the world wanted her to be. Like now: Kiki the traveler might not be very successful obtaining an audience with the Crown Prince, but the Lady Kierra Vhaskar certainly would. And so, of course, she would dress the part. Even though all of this silk and jewelry felt downright alien to her by now.

"There, that's good enough," she decided, having fussed with her hair for long enough. Stupid bloody long hair. She couldn't wait to chop it all off again. "Are you ready for me to disguise you?" she asked Nasir, smirking. "And are you sure you don't want pink hair this time?"

Nasir looked up from closing the fastenings on his own tunic. He was considerably less well-dressed than Kiki, of course, but still rather more elegant than he usually appeared. Tamir, accompanying the Lady Kierra Vhaskar, could not look like a common traveler.

"Pink hair? Certainly." He paused briefly, then added, in a perfectly serious tone, "Perhaps I might arrange it into a crest, as well; like that of a helmet. I saw a young man wearing his that way. I could add a good six inches to my height."

kikismall.png

"You're no fun sometimes, you know that?" Kiki asked, putting on her best injured pout. "I'll get a reaction out of you one of these days. Besides, if you got any taller, you wouldn't be able to fit through doors." She smirked at him as she channeled: first to change his coloration, much as she had done to restore her hair to its natural blue, and then to alter the way light fell on his face - making it appear to take on a different shape - and the way his voice sounded. By the time she was done, except for his height and clothes, he looked and sounded like an entirely different person.

"There," she said at last, "You're finished. Come on, Harran's probably waiting for us by now."

Harran was, indeed, waiting for them, in a disguise of his own - complete with a darker head of hair than his usual pale silver - and, once the group was gathered together again, it was time to be off. They had just reached the top of the stairs, Kiki in the middle of pulling her cloak's hood up, when she saw it:

An Earthshell.

"Look," she said in a low voice to the others, nodding to where the creature - male or female, she couldn't tell - stood.

"Either this is one of the strangest coincidences of all time," Harran whispered...

"Or word of the incident has spread quite far indeed," Kiki finished.

She fell silent, of course, as they drew closer; Earthshells were easily spooked, and she had no desire to offend one, either. If this one was actually staying at this inn, perhaps she would be able to try talking later. For now, though, they really needed to get going.

She couldn't very well ignore it entirely, though. "Good day to you, traveler," she told the Earthshell in a soft voice, bowing slightly. Just a quick greeting, and they would be on their way.

NasirHeader.png

Nasir had seen an Earthshell a total of once before, in all his time spent traveling in Alteiryn. He recognized the creature quite easily, of course, though he was slightly startled to see it standing there in front of them. If a person of living stone could be said to look upset, the Earthshell certainly did. Nearly everyone in the tavern was staring at it, with varying degrees of circumspection. He wondered if that was the problem. They were notoriously shy. Why would it have come into the city, then?

Had word somehow reached even the Earthshells? They did not communicate much with Xanethi, and he highly doubted that the Tolveran government would try to send word to them about the strange prophecy.

"Peace be upon you," he greeted it, his voice sounding oddly lower than usual; part of the disguise that Kiki had woven for him. Nasir bowed gracefully, right hand touching his heart

Edited by borborygmus

Krh'rhl

They were all staring at him.

This is quite excruciating, but I must continue.

The Wrongness welled up again. Somehow indicating these two, but as if it was lessening around them.

"Greetings. I have come here from elsewhere. Seeking a solution to the Wrongness."

Krh'rhl leans closer though it was obvious that he didn't want to. He spoke in an even quieter voice, the two Xaneth barely hearing,

"For some reason, you are part of the solution. Might I accompany you?

I have been shown a part of the solution. But why these two. Why must it be the Xaneth.

kikismall.png

.... What.

Earthshells were notoriously skittish around anyone not of their own people. Yet this one was purposely seeking to travel with them? Just what in the world was going on? Still, this was far too great an opportunity to pass up. Kiki couldn't help but feeling like she had been chosen or marked out for something. Something special. Something exciting.

"We are on our way to seek an audience with the Crown Prince regarding the recent incident," she explained, still in her soft-spoken tone. "If you wish it, it would be a great honor for you to join us."

(OoC: Just so you know, Emeralis, there are actually three humans there: Nasir, Kierra, and their companion Harran, who is currently my NPC.)

Krh'rhl

"I would much appreciate it. You may call me Krh'rhl."

Krh'rhl steps aside and gestures for the woman to lead on.

I might be able to gather some information regarding the incident, and perhaps discover its relation to the Echo Chambers.

(OoC: I am aware. Krh'rhl s "Power" didn't register the NPC as important, so he disregarded the man.)

• 3 weeks later...

kikismall.png

Kierra led their group into the hot Tolveran sun, thankful for the comparative cool of her Versilk cloak. It was hard enough for Vhaskari - who were practically bred to live in cold temperatures - to tolerate the warm southern climate; she couldn't imagine having to wear, say, a woolen cloak in this horrid, humid heat. And going without was simply not an option.

"I am Kierra," she told Krh'rhl. "It is an honor to meet you." She was already trying to work out in her head how to pronounce the name. No doubt she would add unnecessary vowels by mistake, but she supposed that couldn't be helped.

She had read extensively of the Earthshells before leaving home, and was acutely aware of how they hated loud noises. How uncomfortable must this one be in the middle of a city? As a gesture of goodwill, she channeled, creating sort of a bubble of muted sound in a small area closely surrounding their group. They could still hear inside it, but any sounds, any voices but their own, would be drastically reduced in volume. She couldn't do much about the crowds without channeling people out of the way, but she hoped that at least the sound would be more bearable now. Perhaps this would make their new companion more comfortable.

Krh'rhl felt the pull of leyht, then the constant roaring barrage of noise dropped to a murmur.

Krh'rhl froze at the sudden loss of sound. Panicking and blinded, Krh'rhl nearly hit a passing Xaneth.

No. I can't hear! I can't See!

The xaneth, surprised by the encounter slipped, causing several more people to fall over the unfortunate victim.

Several falling Xaneth bumped into Krh'rhl. Threat, threat! Must escape!

With a loud shriek that sounded like several rocks breaking Krh'rhl channeled, then merged with the rock road.

A short time later, Krh'rhl spoke from underneath the road,

"It would be best if I travel this way for now."

Edited by Emeralis00

kikismall.png

That... should not have happened.

Kierra was acutely aware of the angry glares, the confused passersby looking in their direction. Her attempts at diplomacy had backfired, and now she was the exact opposite of what she needed to be - their new companion hidden, she was the center of attention. She pulled her hood up farther, hoping to obscure her face, and hurried along the street, channeling as she did so. Around them, people gradually began to calm down - at least, as far as their attentions towards Kiki's group went. Of course the Lady and her friends weren't at fault - look, they were covered in dirt too; she must be horribly embarrassed if she's hurrying along like that. Leave the Lady alone, now, and look after your own business.

As they made their way past the chaotic scene, Kiki channeled again. She cringed at her superfluous use of the Leyht - for all she felt like it was a part of her, she didn't want to become dependent upon it - but they couldn't show up at the palace covered in dirt. It had to come off, and thus she had to channel.

The palace loomed before them like a blocky maze: from this vantage, it looked to be made of more terraces, courtyards, and verandas than actual walls. It was understandable in a way; Tolveran architecture was designed to allow for ventilation to mitigate the heat, but Kiki couldn't help but wonder what these people did in the event of a storm blowing through. Ah well. If one came through now, at least it would be a relief from this infernal heat.

But there were more important things to worry about than rainstorms to be dealt with today. Kiki had to remember that. And so she led the way up to the gate, pulling her hood back from her face a little.

"I am Lady Kierra Vhaskar," she told the guards there. "I have come to speak with His Highness about the Incident."

kikiswoosh.png

Not long afterwards, she found herself sitting in what appeared to be a reception room of moderate size and wealth, probably used more often for greeting merchants than the daughters of foreign rulers. It was slightly ironic; in doubting Kiki's word as to who she was and foisting her off into a room that probably should have offended her to no end, they had actually made her more comfortable. Formal receptions and royal greetings were far too stuffy for her. The slightly mocking way the servants called her "My Lady" even served to only entertain her further; somehow, she felt like they knew her better than those who called her that in earnest. They hadn't even offered to take her cloak, though she wouldn't have let them take it anyways. It had cost her a fortune in money, time, and effort to commission it from the Berylanx, and she would sooner carry it herself than let it out of her sight.

There was even someone else in the room already: the same Leyari woman they had seen in the inn earlier. Would she recognize their group, with Kierra in her silks and jewels, and the others disguised as they were? She decided not to address the stranger yet, just to see what happened.

Following silently behind Kierra, Krh'rhl was thinking.

I seem to have caused her much distress.

Krh'rhl had no chance to help fix the jam he had caused.

If I remember correctly, Xaneth give gifts by way of apology...or was it courting. These Xaneth never make sense.

I would rather not stoop so low, but peaceable traveling companions are better than bitter ones.

Krh'rhl sank deeper into the ground. Past the basements of the surrounding buildings. Past ruins of older cities, their wood long since petrified. Past even the rock which they stood on. There Krh'rhl found what he was looking for. With a quick aesthetic change to it, Krh'rhl returned to the surface.

The guards where quite startled by his appearance. This seems to happen a lot. I simply do not belong here.

"I am here to speak with your leader regarding past events. One has come before me, a Xaneth by the name of Kierra, I need to speak with her as well"

Krh'rhl arrived at the room that the Xaneth leading Krh'rhl indicated. Entering the room, Krh'rhl noticed another Xaneth, the one he had encountered as he entered the inn. However, Krh'rhl had a more pressing concern with Kierra. Walking to Kierra, Krh'rhl laid an inscribed gem at her feet, gave a bow in a way he had seem some earlier Xaneth do, then retreated to a corner of the room and attempted to look very sorry.

The stone reads:

Please accept this gift as an apology.

Your kind gesture has been noted.

kikismall.png

... What? Kiki blinked, feeling slightly confused as the Earthshell laid what appeared to be a gem at her feet. Once he had retreated, she bent forward to pick it up, admiring the way it glinted in the light as she read the inscription. It really was very beautiful. And the inscription...

"Thank you," she told Krh'hrl, still cupping the gem carefully in her hands. "It is alright. I hope you will forgive me as well; I did not mean to frighten you so."

NasirHeader.png

Nasir had kept quiet for the most part during their passage through the city. Particularly after the Earthshell, Krh'hrl, had made his unexpected display, melting and burrowing into the street beneath them. Their group had drawn attention at that point, and though they were in a better area of town, these people were still on edge. Kiki's channeling might have calmed them, but nonetheless Nasir had kept two wary eyes out all the way to the palace, and still continued once they were in.

This was the second time he had been here, though he had not had the opportunity to see all of the palace on that occasion, either. No one seemed to recognize Kiki from her last visit, and they were shown into a private room - interestingly enough, the same room that contained the mysterious Academ from earlier. Kiki did not speak to her, and as a result Nasir did not either, though he glanced at her curiously. What did a mathematician have to do with a supposed Ohnyrek prophecy, he wondered again? Where was she from? It was possible that they might be working with her, as part of the investigation, or at least that Kiki and Harran might.

He had been thinking about what the Earthshell had said. They were part of the solution to what it called the Wrongness. Was that one and the same with what the broken, cryptic sentences of the Ohnyrek had hinted at? Nasir had never believed in prophecy, and he was not about to start now. However, the Earthshell and his kind might well have heard of it themselves, and come up with this idea of the Wrongness from it.

As if summoned by that thought, the Earthshell appeared in the doorway to the room. It came directly towards them, and then knelt down to place something glittering-bright in front of Kierra, retreating with a bow. As Kierra picked it up, Nasir looked in curiously to see what it was that the Earthshell had chosen to give her. It was perhaps the most elaborate note of apology that Nasir had ever seen, a beautifully-shaped gemstone with a few words in Xanethi carved into it. The Earthshell itself had backed away into a corner of the room, and Kiki thanked it from a distance; Nasir watched it for a few moments, then chose to approach, slowly and carefully. The Earthshell was easily frightened, and he did not want to startle it again.

"Peace be upon you,Krh'hrl," he said softly, without coming too close. Earthshells were known for the sensitivity of their hearing, and it would hear him clearly from this distance. He did not want to come closer unless invited, and invade the rock-creature's space. "May I ask you what you meant when you spoke of a solution, and of the Wrongness?"