Best Threads for a Forum Newbie?

RustAndRuin

Hi there! 

Brandon Sanderson is by far my favorite author, and I've read almost everything by him. Just a few novellas/shorts to go! But I've been nonexistant in the fandoms and communities. 

What are some of the best threads here? Theories, important points, even simply funny stuff. 

Thanks! 

-Rusty 

Check out my Heal and Hurt thread on the Reckoners! (Shameless self promotion) I'll start proper now.

Have an upvote! Hello RustAndRuin! I'm Orderbound, and I happen to be a sort of rogue entity on this forum, searching for any scent of intrigue and interest around. If you want to find a good thread, check out some theories, they are all great! Glad to hear you like Brandon. Get ready though, it will be a wild ride!

5 minutes ago, Orderbound said:

Check out my Heal and Hurt thread on the Reckoners! (Shameless self promotion) I'll start proper now.

Have an upvote! Hello RustAndRuin! I'm Orderbound, and I happen to be a sort of rogue entity on this forum, searching for any scent of intrigue and interest around. If you want to find a good thread, check out some theories, they are all great! Glad to hear you like Brandon. Get ready though, it will be a wild ride!

Hey, Orderbound! I'll definitely check out your thread. 

Thanks for the welcome!

2 hours ago, RustAndRuin said:

Hi there! 

Brandon Sanderson is by far my favorite author, and I've read almost everything by him. Just a few novellas/shorts to go! But I've been nonexistant in the fandoms and communities. 

What are some of the best threads here? Theories, important points, even simply funny stuff. 

Thanks! 

-Rusty 

Hi there, Rusty! I'm bleeder, (un)official forum vest-wearing-music-nerd.

Welcome to the Shard! You'll learn a lot, and make a lot of new friends. We're glad to have you. 

If you're looking for info, check out the Cosmere section, but if not, General Discussion is where it's at. 

Just feel your way around, get to know the site, and if you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Also, don't eat the cookies. They'll Ruin your life.

30 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Hi there, Rusty! I'm bleeder, (un)official forum vest-wearing-music-nerd.

Welcome to the Shard! You'll learn a lot, and make a lot of new friends. We're glad to have you. 

If you're looking for info, check out the Cosmere section, but if not, General Discussion is where it's at. 

Just feel your way around, get to know the site, and if you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Also, don't eat the cookies. They'll Ruin your life.

Hello, bleeder! Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll check out General Discussion right away. 

Also, thanks for the tip and the pun. Both are always appreciated. 

The best theories are almost always found in the "Cosmere Theories" section, but beware of spoilers if you go that route.

If you have any specific questions about things from the books, "Cosmere Q&A" is a good destination.

For humor, General Discussion is always a good bet, but I would personally suggest "Sanderson Memes" in the "General Brandon Discussion" forum. That one's always a blast.

And finally, my personal favorite subforum is "Sanderson Elimination". Think Town of Salem, but in the Cosmere.

46 minutes ago, Elenion said:

The best theories are almost always found in the "Cosmere Theories" section, but beware of spoilers if you go that route.

If you have any specific questions about things from the books, "Cosmere Q&A" is a good destination.

For humor, General Discussion is always a good bet, but I would personally suggest "Sanderson Memes" in the "General Brandon Discussion" forum. That one's always a blast.

And finally, my personal favorite subforum is "Sanderson Elimination". Think Town of Salem, but in the Cosmere.

@Elenion Actually I really want to find out how to get into that I never knew how.

1 hour ago, Orderbound said:

I wanna know how the thing works before I get into it... Seems confusing. @Elenion

It's like any other forum, but instead of creating threads you create questions, and any responses instead of going under the original post are marked as answers. You can give upvotes to answers like in any other forum, but users can also rank them based on helpfulness by using the arrows on the left.

16 hours ago, RustAndRuin said:

Hi there! 

Thanks! 

-Rusty 

Well hello and have a great time here on the 17th Shard! Theories are probably the best threads for starters here. Have some upvotes and a cookie.(note: upvote goes best with cookie)

thNGKY8775.jpg

On 11/20/2016 at 9:36 PM, Orderbound said:

I wanna know how the thing works before I get into it... Seems confusing. @Elenion

On 11/20/2016 at 11:04 PM, Ookla the Unpredictable said:

It's like any other forum, but instead of creating threads you create questions, and any responses instead of going under the original post are marked as answers. You can give upvotes to answers like in any other forum, but users can also rank them based on helpfulness by using the arrows on the left.

@Orderbound, are you talking about Sanderson Elimination, or the Cosmere Questions section?

My favorite threads are usually the ones pertinent to whatever the latest Cosmere release was, anything in Cosmere Theories, and of course, The Stormlight Archive forum, since it's my favorite series. Mistborn is good place to discuss stuff, too, since it looks like a lot of the deeper mysteries of the Cosmere are going to come out in those books (Bands of Mourning and Secret History were a one-two punch of revelations).

4 hours ago, DSC01 said:

My favorite threads are usually the ones pertinent to whatever the latest Cosmere release was, anything in Cosmere Theories, and of course, The Stormlight Archive forum, since it's my favorite series. Mistborn is good place to discuss stuff, too, since it looks like a lot of the deeper mysteries of the Cosmere are going to come out in those books (Bands of Mourning and Secret History were a one-two punch of revelations).

I'll definitely be hanging around there! I doubt I'll have too much to add, but I'm not averse to some serious thread stalking. 

@RustAndRuin The good thing is that the culture here is very relaxed and good-natured. No one is going to be condescending and mock you for being a n00b. You might realize 6 months later that a question you asked was really dumb, in retrospect, and the reason that it will take you that long to figure it out is that not a single person will be mean to you about it. Everyone was new at some point, and no one here is too full of themselves to answer basic Cosmere questions.

So please feel free to ask about stuff you don't know. When I first started posting, I was afraid to admit that I didn't know all that much yet, and I didn't know what people were talking about all the time. For example, WoB ("Word of Brandon," if you didn't know that yet; it's the Sanderson fan community's version of Word of God)--I had no idea what that meant. There were probably times that I came off like a total idiot, trying to argue against something that someone just told me came directly from the author's lips. 

9 hours ago, DSC01 said:

@RustAndRuin The good thing is that the culture here is very relaxed and good-natured. No one is going to be condescending and mock you for being a n00b. You might realize 6 months later that a question you asked was really dumb, in retrospect, and the reason that it will take you that long to figure it out is that not a single person will be mean to you about it. Everyone was new at some point, and no one here is too full of themselves to answer basic Cosmere questions.

So please feel free to ask about stuff you don't know. When I first started posting, I was afraid to admit that I didn't know all that much yet, and I didn't know what people were talking about all the time. For example, WoB ("Word of Brandon," if you didn't know that yet; it's the Sanderson fan community's version of Word of God)--I had no idea what that meant. There were probably times that I came off like a total idiot, trying to argue against something that someone just told me came directly from the author's lips. 

That's really reassuring! Thank you.