WoK ReRead: Cool things I noticed

WeiryWriter

Interesting! Do you have a quote, or do you remember which chapter?

" One of the men - Maps - stood, holding up his arms, quieting others. It was the time between moons, and so he was lit mostly by the firelight; there was a spray of stars in the sky above. Several of those moved about, the tiny pinpricks of light chasing after one another, zipping around like distant, glowing insects. Starspren. They were rare."

This was the exact quote from the book. It's the chapter where Rock gets a shaving blade as a gift.

In the Gibletish Chapter of Way of Kings I noticed that "Adonalsium" is the first supposedly nonsense word Hoid/Wit says to Dalinar. I read somewhere else that another of Wit's words is Balderdash which is an anagram for Shardblade. And Wits whole discussion is about cutting up words to make other words. So I tried to find Anagrams for Adonalsium. The only one I could find was Salon Du Mai, which is the name of a French art group founded during WWII to resist the Nazi suppression of art. By my count I think there were 16 or 17 founding members, their website is in french and I don't read french so I could be off. If 16 there would be one for each shard, if 17 there would be one for each shard and Adonalsium. Coincidence? I can't decide.

On the illustrations I noticed two things. First, I hadn't noticed before is that there is a River in Alethkar called Windrunner River (how did I miss that the first time?). Second, On the Map of Roshar on the edge of the stormward coast Northeast behid the shattered plains is "Dawn's Shadow." This got me to thinking (please bear in mind that my theory until proven otherwise for various reasons is that Cultivation's holder is named Dawn or something close but I won't go into my reasoning hear). If Honor was to be found in the West, could Cultivation be found in the East and if so then could her shardpool or something similar be located at Dawn's Shadow? If she is in the East then I wildly speculate that she somehow shattered the plains in her grief when Honor died. 

Some of this may be of no significance or it may all be exceptionally wrong but it amused me to think about.  :D

Somehow I missed this connection until now: There is a group called the Oldbloods, with members set apart by a specific tattoo!

I'm sure a lot of people picked up on this, but it's only been mentioned on the forums twice so maybe others have overlooked it too.

So the Ghostbloods don't exist in isolation. They are one of at least two societies, probably more. (Can anyone think of a number that might be significant on Roshar?)

From ch. 27, Kaladin looking up from the bottom of a chasm: "That blue sky seemed so distant. Unreachable. Like the light of the Halls themselves."

So the Tranquiline Halls are (at least assigned to) a physical, astronomical feature. Star, planet, or something else, the Halls have a faint(?), distant light visible from Roshar. Whether the object(s) identified by Rosharans as the Halls actually correspond to whatever inspired their mythology of it is debatable, but I rather suspect that it/they do.

From ch. 27, Kaladin looking up from the bottom of a chasm: "That blue sky seemed so distant. Unreachable. Like the light of the Halls themselves."

So the Tranquiline Halls are (at least assigned to) a physical, astronomical feature. Star, planet, or something else, the Halls have a faint(?), distant light visible from Roshar. Whether the object(s) identified by Rosharans as the Halls actually correspond to whatever inspired their mythology of it is debatable, but I rather suspect that it/they do.

I took this as more indicating that the Halls and therefore the blue sky are metaphorically unreachable. The Halls are supposedly in the Spiritual Realm, according to Vorin mythology.

That doesn't explain why Gavilar would think so. Weren't Sadeas and Dalinar his two greatest most loyal supporters?

Yes, but even his most loyal supporters are still lighteyes. Gavilar must realize as well as Kaladin how bad his own people are, and that they could betray at any time. After all, later in the story Sadeas fakes loyalty to Dalinar and tries to get him killed. And Dalinar once considered killing Gavilar so he could marry Navani.

An oddity I just noticed.

"[Gavilar] frowned. "Then who? Restares? Sadeas?"

So from context, Restares is a highprince.

I'm not sure this follows. I think you're stretching things here, particularly considering you left out that Gavilar started by accusing Szeth as working for Thaidakar, who is the leader of the Ghostbloods. I highly doubt Restares is a highprince. For him not to be mentioned as such would be very odd.

Edited by Moogle

I'm not sure this follows. I think you're stretching things here, particularly considering you left out that Gavilar started by accusing Szeth as working for Thaidakar, who is the leader of the Ghostbloods. I highly doubt Restares is a highprince. For him not to be mentioned as such would be very odd.

I don't know where the quote is but I'm at least 95% sure Thaidakar is one of the highprinces Dalinar tried to convince to attack with him. How do we know he's leader of the Ghostbloods? I don't remember that.

Edit: I was thinking of Thanadal, not Thaidakar. Well, there goes that theory.

Edited by Delightful

How do we know he's leader of the Ghostbloods? I don't remember that.

Here is the quote from TWOK:

“…why Thaidakar would risk this?” Amaram was saying, speaking in a soft voice. “But who else would it be? The Ghostbloods grow more bold. We’ll need to find out who he was. Do we know anything about him?”

Thaidakar seems to be high up in the Ghostbloods even if he doesn't lead them.

• Chaos locked this topic