Nowko Lestibournes, leader of The Abundance, was indulging in a rare moment of relaxation. He sat in his most comfortable chair before a roaring fireplace, a hot cup of tea by his side and a book on Realmatic theory open in his hands.

Behind him, the door opened and closed as Len walked in, a stack of papers in his arms, Ena trailing just behind him. Len set the missives down on the table and walked over into the kitchen. He returned a few moments later with his own cup of tea, sat in the chair opposite Nowko's, and began to peruse the correspondence.

"Dr. Arelle is reporting in from Nalthis," Len said as he read over the missive, "she's made it to Hallandren safely."

"She also says that she is grateful for this opportunity, and eager to embark on her first mission." Len scowled. "Nights, but I'm worried about her."

"What's done is done," Nowko said, as though trying to convince himself. "It's out of our hands from here. What else do you have?"

Len looked over the next letter. "Dr. Kalei reports that the mission on Threnody was a success, and he awaits reassignment."

"Hmph. Took him long enough." Nowko sipped at his tea. "Make a note. We'll find somewhere useful to put him later."

Len nodded and moved on.

"Dr. Selva reports that all attempts to locate Dr. Occulta continue to prove fruitless," Len said with a wry smile. "She once again recommends that the search be aborted. You're not going to find him, Doc."

"Don't call me Doc," Nowko replied in a long-suffering tone. "We couldn't know until we tried. Inform Dr. Selva that she is free to return to her research."

"Lastly, Agent Roul on First of the Sun has information on a potential situation developing. Apparently, there are rumors circulating that some kind of relic has been located somewhere out in the Pantheon. An expedition to recover it is being organized. Roul recommends that an operative be placed on the team."

"Well, that's convenient," said Nowko. "Put Bres on it. This is right up his alley, and solves the question of his reassignment."

"Right. Ena, can you get that to Dr. Kalei?"

"Of course, Len." The Seon said, then zipped away.

Business handled, Nowko returned his attention to his book, while Len pulled out a soulstamp and began to whittle away at it. Moments of peace were a rare commodity for them, and they would enjoy this one for as long as it lasted.

I will be playing as Dr. Bres Kalei, an experienced field operative for the Abundance. Trained as a medical doctor, Bres is a Pewter/Iron twinborn with a talent for acrobatics and parkour. He has the heart of an adventurer, and is at his best when facing down impossible odds in an unfamiliar situation.

Player list should be up to date, and people who requested the spec doc should have it.

I've also decided I'm allowing pinchhitters for the first 2 cycles. Anyone who hasn't posted by the end of the 2nd cycle will be replaced, provided there is a pinch hitter available.

Yazava rubbed his hands together above the fire trying to get some warmth into them.  Why had he agreed to come along with the expedition he had no idea.  But as the old saying goes; 'The riskier the road, the greater the profit' and so here he was risking life, and more importantly, profit on a wild aviar chase.

Once his hands had warmed up enough to bring back some feeling Yazava went back to his bookkeeping.  He had to doctor the books just enough so he got the majority of the reward.  Maybe enough of the others will die before we get back.  After all, more is good...all is better.

Cycle One – Trailbreak

5 days in and only one death. This was about as good as one could hope for when trying to move a large group of people through the jungles of the Pantheon. Even with a pair of trackers who had agreed to lead them, death was to be expected. What worried Idoya was that it wasn't the jungles of Unani that had killed the porter two days ago. It'd been a knife from the Homelands. With another member of their troupe missing, presumed dead, was this an accident, or was it something more sinster?

“If he’s not here, then he’s already as good as dead.” First of the Noon called out. He smiled.  “The lost don’t live long in this jungle. Keep up, and maybe you won’t join him.”

After one of the porters had died to a knife, the next few days had been tense. No one trusted anyone. But after two more days of travel, no further incident had lead people to relax. A little anyway. And then on of the scientists disappeared. He’d be dragging his feet at the back of the troop for some time, but was now nowhere to be seen.

Having given a group a brief respite, Second of the Twilight beckoned. “Time to go. We have a way to go yet before we can camp safely. You really don’t want to be here still when the light is gone.” With that, he turned, disappearing into the jungle.

Cycle ends in around 48 hours. PM's are going out now. Edit: All PM's have been sent out. Let me know if I've missed someone or something...
gre_1479871800.png

Player List:

1.    Sean (polkinghornbd) is up for a Get Rich Quick scheme
2.    Szeth-daughter-daughter-Neturo (Assassin in Burgundy) has a death wish
3.    Rumberry (Ecthellion III) has a hand glued to their face
4.    Doc (Doctor12) is criminally late to the party
5.    This could also be you (Darkness Ascendant) is also a human gossiping  fungi at parties
6.    Svetao (Daniyah) is eerily cheerful
7.    Sherlock (Magestar) can't understand why the planet is named "First from the Sun"
8.    Nyali (Nyali) will rest when she's dead
9.    Stick (I_Am_A_Stick) is resentful of gingers
10.    Dr. Bres Kalei (Wonko the sane) is abundantly proficient at doctoring papers
11.    Third of the Storm (Jondesu) is proud of his heritage
12.    Nannyberry (JUQ) leaves posters on trees
13.    First of the Twilight (Elbereth) comes from the stars
14.    Charlie (STINK) is functionally mute
15.    Link (TheMightyLopen) has an aviar that tells tales of a legendary princess
16.    Locke (OrlokTsubodai) is inexplicably faceless
17.    Yazava (Alvron) is shrouded in shadow

Edited by Alvron

• Alvron locked this topic

Third of the Storm eyed the foreigners and offworlders around him disdainfully. Just because more Ones Above and others had begun showing up, he didn't suddenly have to start treating them like they belonged.

Third wasn't a Hunter, so he didn't go to Patji regularly, but like all of his people, he respected Patji and the other gods greatly.  He wasn't about to pass up a job assisting these offworlders for the amount he'd been offered, however. The gods only deserved so much respect.

They had every right to try to kill the intruders, however. Third didn't begrudge the islands that. He simply made sure he wouldn't be one of the victims. His aviar, Sisiru, had been purchased from a hunter who had earned his reputation by raising aviar here on Patji himself for some time, and would shield him from the mind-hunting predators. Several similar aviar were along on this trip, in fact, but Third wasn't about to let Sisiru out of his sight. She hopped from tree branch to tree branch above him most of the time, returning occasionally to eat a snack from his pocket. She'd keep his mind hidden. He'd keep his eyes open.

Edited by Jondesu

Szeth-Daughter-Daughter-Neturo, Truthful of Shineyvar, wore burgundy on the day she was to find an artifact. The burgundy was a First of Sun tradition, and foreign to her. But she did as her employers required and did not ask for an explanation. 

Edited by Assassin in Burgundy

Well, I'll get the voting started I suppose. Polking! I just saw you on the Shard and you haven't posted yet, so that's why I'm voting on you. Actually, there's quite a few people like that. Of course, people might still be receiving their PM's, but I figure the discussion needs to start somewhere, so here's a list of people who I've seen around since Hael posted this thread: Polking, Assassin in Burgundy, Doctor, Daniyah, Nyali, Jondesu(obviously, but I just thought it'd be nice if you could put a vote down somewhere), Elbereth, and Alvron.

Any of you have any thoughts/strategies on the game? I personally would like to see everyone vote this Cycle, because voting is the big thing this game.

I am here, but unlikely to post anything of substance until tomorrow morning, as I have some homework I've been procrastinating on that I'm going to need until bedtime to get done. >> 

I can drop a poke vote, though. Doctor. Post, please. :) Preferably something with more substance than my own post. :P 

I'm always wary of first day lynches, but the reasoning behind not just trying to skip it has been explained enough times I'm more comfortable with it.  I'd like to see more posts from everyone who hasn't yet.  Lopen and Assassin have joined me (albeit minimally in RP only for Assassin), but of course it's still early.  Doc, Dani, and El are I think all in LG28 with me, which could explain them being on but not posting here yet, but of course doesn't clear them. (EDIT: Elbereth ninja'd me, so thanks.)

I've never been one to do poke votes, though, so I'll let ya'll worry about that if you want.  I'll throw in a vote if I see something of substance.

Edited by Jondesu

Yazava sorted out the pack.  It wasn't his pack but rather the pack of the scientist that had fallen behind.  He didn't have much worth keeping but right at the bottom of the pack was a bottle of Azir wine.  Why the scientist brought it along, Yazava didn't know.  Maybe it was for when they found the artifact?  Or maybe it was as a bribe so they got a bigger share?  Yes, that had to be it.

"Only a fool passes up a business opportunity." Yazava muttered as he moved the bottle of wine to his own pack.

I've never been a big voter and I don't see it likely to change.  However in an effort to contribute to discussion and removal of inactives, Orlok.

5 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I'm always wary of first day lynches, but the reasoning behind not just trying to skip it has been explained enough times I'm more comfortable with it.  I'd like to see more posts from everyone who hasn't yet.  Lopen and Assassin have joined me (albeit minimally in RP only for Assassin), but of course it's still early.  Doc, Dani, and El are I think all in LG28 with me, which could explain them being on but not posting here yet, but of course doesn't clear them.

I've never been one to do poke votes, though, so I'll let ya'll worry about that if you want.  I'll throw in a vote if I see something of substance.

Well, I wasn't going to post again, but looks like I'm going to anyway. 

One, yay for ninja'ing. :P 

Two, "something of substance"? It's D1 and only 4 people have posted. There is no something of substance. And probably won't be the whole day. That's what D1's about - stabbing blindly in the dark in order to give us something to look back at later for voting patterns, and to get the game going. And poke votes are one way to help us do that. In this game more than any, we have to be very proactive in voting, because there is no scan or any action to help us. Tomorrow, someone else will be dead, and that's all the information we'll get. 

Not saying you have to vote - far from it. That's entirely your choice. I'm just saying your reasoning for not voting is... not the best, in my opinion. :P 

1 minute ago, Elbereth said:

At some point all the packs of the corpses are going to get too heavy for Yasava to carry. :P 

Nah, he'll just take out the good stuff.  Besides there's an old saying. "Always get another to do the lifting."  Say, you wouldn't happen to be for hire would you?

13 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

When I said something of substance, El, I meant behavior different from normal. Elims always have a tell. I'm watching for those.

I... one, that's arguable, and you most certainly don't know the tells of plenty of players and wouldn't be able to tell even if they did do something that they'd only do as an eliminator. And second, that feels like you're treating the game somewhat from a... spectator viewpoint, is the only way I can think to put it. You'll watch other people voting and talking but won't actually contribute to the discussion yourself until you see something suspicious. While you yourself give no opportunity for either suspicion or the chance to prove you're a villager. 

Obviously, that's an exaggeration, but that is essentially what happens with your reasoning if you take it to its logical end.

13 minutes ago, Alvron said:

Nah, he'll just take out the good stuff.  Besides there's an old saying. "Always get another to do the lifting."  Say, you wouldn't happen to be for hire would you?

skeptical.png Not likely. First of the Twilight is... rather uninterested, to say the least, and I am a bit busy quickly doing physics homework, for reasons I'm sure you know perfectly well. >> 

Edited by Elbereth

All right, some things have come up in my life that are likely to occupy a lot of my attention going forward. I'm not withdrawing from the game as of right now, but I wanted to warn everyone here that I will be considerably less active than I usually am. I apologize for this; I will do my best to put in the effort this game deserves, but there are simply times when real life must intervene.