Kelsier and Hoid

Jondesu

In the Genius thread (which isn't designed for replies), I saw the following idea from @Khyrindor:

8 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

Mistborn: Secret History Spoilers

in Mistborn Era 4, Hoid is mentioned to be a protagonist or a main character. My wild prediction is that good ole Kell will be working against him. Kell is probably now immortal, and they hate each other, so it just works.

Also, Spook is Kell's sidekick.

I wanted to expand on this because I liked it so much, and get some discussion!

My thinking is that while Kelsier and Hoid hate each other, and will probably be at odds, we'll find the two of them working towards similar but perhaps incompatible goals, and see the grand escapades that ensue as the two recruit or plan against the other's machinations, even though they may not actually be fighting against each other specifically.  An example would be that they both need the same object or person to help them with two separate goals, so while they're not technically enemies, for one to succeed, the other will have to fail.

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

In the Genius thread (which isn't designed for replies), I saw the following idea from @Khyrindor:

I wanted to expand on this because I liked it so much, and get some discussion!

My thinking is that while Kelsier and Hoid hate each other, and will probably be at odds, we'll find the two of them working towards similar but perhaps incompatible goals, and see the grand escapades that ensue as the two recruit or plan against the other's machinations, even though they may not actually be fighting against each other specifically.  An example would be that they both need the same object or person to help them with two separate goals, so while they're not technically enemies, for one to succeed, the other will have to fail.

Well, I'm honoured. ^_^

I like your idea as well, I hadn't thought of that. I also wonder what Spook would think of Hoid...

I personally suspect that Kel is the founder of the 17th Shard, and created it just to track down Hoid after finding out more about him. It would easily explain why Demoux is a member of it after all, and the idea of Kelsier going on a Cosmere-wide recruitment montage is such a fun image in my head ~

52 minutes ago, Rawrbert said:

I personally suspect that Kel is the founder of the 17th Shard, and created it just to track down Hoid after finding out more about him. It would easily explain why Demoux is a member of it after all, and the idea of Kelsier going on a Cosmere-wide recruitment montage is such a fun image in my head ~

I was going to say the there are too many signs pointing to the 17th shard being older than that, but you convinced me with "Kelsier going on a Cosmere-wide recruitment montage".

Edit: I've always seen the 17th as a kind of worldhopper 'police' that keeps other worldhoppers from interfering negatively with a world. It might actually make sense for Kelsier to have created such a group in response to his run-in with the IRE.

Edited by randuir
Storming Grammar

So I might be a horrible heathen but I kind of thought that spook might be Kelsiers new body........ because he really does need a string to the physical world. A mistoborn body would be easier to use then super spiked one and spook, Once he was done. Might not want kelsier to just hijack some one else.

35 minutes ago, Lord Tavash Shar said:

So I might be a horrible heathen but I kind of thought that spook might be Kelsiers new body........ because he really does need a string to the physical world. A mistoborn body would be easier to use then super spiked one and spook, Once he was done. Might not want kelsier to just hijack some one else.

I've heard that a few times, and while Kelsier would do some very distasteful things, he truly likes Spook and I doubt he'd have done that to him specifically.

15 hours ago, Jondesu said:

@Jondesu, I upvoted you for your idea and for the integrity you gave the Genius thread you mentioned. That is exactly what I hoped would happen with peoples theories. 

I like the idea too, but I picture Kelsier being overt and Hoid covert. A direct interplay would get hot really quickly, like last time. 

I do like the idea of Kelsier being part of the 17th shard. But what would his connection to Frost be, (who seems to have the power to call them off)?

• Chaos locked this topic