.I agree with orlok, PK and partly with PK's second post here.

Regarding PK's first post, the way I see it right now, PK is advocating a less aggressive way of rooting out elims - by killing inactive, while I (and I never thought I'd say this) am advocating a more aggressive/risky solution to victory. Not that there's anything wrong with either if them. PK says, and correct me if I'm wrong, that we should root out the inactives, relying on the chance that one of them is an elim. But, if we have a strong suspicion, we should go for them instead.

On the other hand, what I'm saying is that we rely on the chance that one of our suspicions, even if it is minor, would point to an elim. Although this method would be faster, it is also riskier in that we'd be drastically increasing the chance of their swin with every villager killed. 

So, imo, it's a trade off. Neither of the methods is inherently wrong, but we just have to decide which one we want to use. 

Oh yes, and when I was advocating not getting inactives lynched, I meant to imply that if no one has any suspicions whatsoever, we do have a choice to lunch inactives, but I don't think we should let a suspicion, albeit however small, pass under our noses.

I feel that lynching actives would help the village as much as hurt them for two reasons-

1) it would cause discussion. I don't think I've seen much discussion when the village has decided to lunch an inactive. On the other hand, people are sometimes forced to interact when someone pertaining to their character is under the threat of the lunch.

2) secondly, if everyone knows whom they'll be lynching, it'll kill village discussion. It'd be like "Hey! We've got no activity from this player. Let's lynch them." That statement, I highly doubt, is a conversation starter. :P

On a separate note, I'll be exploring tonight. 

On another separate note, did anyone notice that Wyrm had to specifically state that there'd be no kills N0? Which means that someone is, in fact, capable of killing others. (was this point brought up earlier? I can't seem to remember.)

I'll be going to sleep for now. 

See you all tomorrow. 

*Goes off to find a bed in a haunted house*

I don't know why people find lynching inactives to be a problem.  Early on, they're not going to be helping, but they could be turned even if they haven't logged on. After a few rounds, that won't be the best plan, and of course no one wants to punish newbies, but anyone who's been in SE games and isn't active should know better. Let's see who's inactive after this first night and go from there, but I can't imagine we'll have anywhere near enough suspicion to lynch an active player.

35 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I don't know why people find lynching inactives to be a problem.  Early on, they're not going to be helping, but they could be turned even if they haven't logged on. After a few rounds, that won't be the best plan, and of course no one wants to punish newbies, but anyone who's been in SE games and isn't active should know better. Let's see who's inactive after this first night and go from there, but I can't imagine we'll have anywhere near enough suspicion to lynch an active player.

Emphasis mine.

I can't help but disagree thoroughly with this attitude. People go inactive for a number of reasons - and not normally out of spite. If something happens in real life, it becomes incredibly difficult to catch up with a game - and rejoining becomes almost intimidating as a result.

We shouldn't punish people for actions made without malice. We have so much more to gain, both as a village gaining additional insight, and as a community, by doing our very best to make it as easy as possible to rejoin a game.

Orlok, it's not that it's a punishment, but that it's good strategy. I wouldn't be upset to come back after being inactive to find I'd been lynched, but if we lynch someone active for no good reason, we're just depriving ourselves of a player who may be helpful.

Edited by Jondesu

13 minutes ago, Wonko the Sane said:

I think she's asking whether he's definitely dead -- a question that's been on my mind, too.

11 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

I wanted to know if I can RP Artie stumbling across a dead body, actually.

Yes! I thought I'd learned that much about Rae by now. :D

Quintus finished his sketch of the room, including the sparse decorations and furniture, and turned to one of the nearby doors. All else being equal, he'd chosen the one furthest from the rest of the group so he could slip off unnoticed, hopefully. Here in this next room, he found little of significance at first, but he waited a moment to make sure no one was able to see him, then he burned Bronze and Steel. A few blue lines popped up showing metal objects, but nothing out of the ordinary. He heard none of the pulse that would indicate an Awakened object, but he knew that wasn't always perfect, since he wasn't able to pick up small levels of Breath that way. Still, it was a clue that this room likely held nothing much of interest.

Unless there was an aluminum panel. He set to work checking, being thorough as he'd been taught.

-----

If anyone wants to RP following Quintus, feel free, otherwise I'll explore alone. Also, I made up the idea of Bronze Allomancy finding Awakened objects, though it makes some sense to me.

Edited by Jondesu

Not really sure what can really be done given that everybody is an explorer at this point except for STINKs mysterious neutral role.  

I'm going to be exploring tonight which is probably a given and I will start to be more active starting about 36 hours from now. 

Isaac "The Hammer" Jones nearly burst out laughing at the shocked expressions on the other people's faces when their guide never returned. Being a cynic did have some distinct advantages, after all, one of which was the ability to find (albeit twisted) humor in almost any situation. He said nothing, though, and years of practice left him with a straight face. It wouldn't do for anyone else to discover that it wasn't the first time he'd been in a situation like this.

He began by starting with the north wall. He did not know why he started with that particular wall, or how he knew that it was north, but that felt right, and a good killer explorer knows when to go with his gut. Jones' gut told him to go with the north wall, so he did. He didn't find any secret passages or awakened objects, but he did find a rather-creepy-looking doll. He picked it up to examine it.

"Don't you think stuff like that would be better left alone? It might be haunted!"

Isaac Jones shrugged without looking at the speaker, inspected the doll one more time, and pocketed it. It might be useful; or, even better, worth something.

Rotiart skulked into the basement. Surely there was something here to use. Not for evil, but for . . . good. Yeah. Right.

There was a dusty piano in the corner. Rotiart lifted the lid to see that the strings had been eaten away. What a shame. He could have used those strings for good, had they still been around. He absentmindedly brushed off the keys while twirling his mustache dramatically. He was used to the organ, but a piano would do. He sat down, rolled up his sleeves, tried to imagine the absent flashes of lightning, and played a dramatic melody.

The piano, of course, made no sound.

"Curses! Foiled again!"

He twirled his mustache again, for good measure, dramatically swept his cape up to cover the lower half of his face, and scuttled out of the room.

Hello, everyone! Sorry I haven't posted yet, I've been rather busy this weekend. I've put in an order to explore and have skimmed the thread so far. I agree that we should lynch inactives first, for the most part. I can try to put more tomorrow, but I'm going to sleep now

1 hour ago, Arraenae said:

Depending on how many Omens are triggered, I will probably slap votes on people I find suspicious, inactive or not.

Just try not to assume I'm suspicious based on the fact that I'm 2/2 as an Elim in my games so far! Of course, we know I'm not yet, but with my luck...

I just thought that I should post something to show that I'm not inactive. So here some RP (hoping that that's not too bad)

Right now I’m standing in crowd of people(of course), some of them talk about something,  others seem to be very frightened, others excited, and I even can’t remember where(looks like big, weird house) am I and how do I get here?  Ahm… I think I remember something. Yes, that was evening, sure evening; I always make some decisions in evening

As  always in evening  I was in library, doing same things as always, reading books, drinking  tea, talking with dead raven… u know  all things that normal people do in evening, I was sitting in front of mirror. I squeezed my eyes shut, and opened them, again and again, nothing changed.  Still dark hair hanging long, pale skin, dressed in simple  leather jacket, loose trousers(all black)and of course left eye still green and right eye colorless and blind. How long ago I lost this eye, centuries, years or weeks ago? Or maybe just yesterday, uhh… can’t remember. I turned and looked at the cage (with dead raven inside it).

”And what do you think we should do today?”No answer of course.

”Maybe we should  read something new”, I looked at the bookshelves, tables, chairs all full of books,”Hmm… we have read already all of them. I think we should go and find some new books.”

I picked up a newspaper from the table. “Hmm… nothing interesting, except mysterious house for sale, what do you think we can find some interesting books there? I think so.”

Yeah, that’s how I get here. And now I gonna go and find some books. That’s all, hmm… I think so.

55 minutes ago, Arinian said:

I just thought that I should post something to show that I'm not inactive. So here some RP (hoping that that's not too bad)

Right now I’m standing in crowd of people(of course), some of them talk about something,  others seem to be very frightened, others excited, and I even can’t remember where(looks like big, weird house) am I and how do I get here?  Ahm… I think I remember something. Yes, that was evening, sure evening; I always make some decisions in evening

As  always in evening  I was in library, doing same things as always, reading books, drinking  tea, talking with dead raven… u know  all things that normal people do in evening, I was sitting in front of mirror. I squeezed my eyes shut, and opened them, again and again, nothing changed.  Still dark hair hanging long, pale skin, dressed in simple  leather jacket, loose trousers(all black)and of course left eye still green and right eye colorless and blind. How long ago I lost this eye, centuries, years or weeks ago? Or maybe just yesterday, uhh… can’t remember. I turned and looked at the cage (with dead raven inside it).

”And what do you think we should do today?”No answer of course.

”Maybe we should  read something new”, I looked at the bookshelves, tables, chairs all full of books,”Hmm… we have read already all of them. I think we should go and find some new books.”

I picked up a newspaper from the table. “Hmm… nothing interesting, except mysterious house for sale, what do you think we can find some interesting books there? I think so.”

Yeah, that’s how I get here. And now I gonna go and find some books. That’s all, hmm… I think so.

This guy is totally an eliminator - trying not to look fishy. Let's all lynch him. :P

(No, that's fine. Welcome to SE.)

Talking about activity and lack thereof, my activity will probably be... sporadic. I'll still be able to come online every day(-ish), but I can't really for extended periods of time, which... is annoying. Sorry about that. I'll still be able to send in orders, reply to things, but I won't be able to type up great long posts all that often (especially during the week). Sorry - exams are coming up in a couple weeks and teachers are ramping up the workload, plus other family stuff going on.

Hmmm... tonights going to be important in that we discover roughly the odds of finding an Omen are. I'm assuming they'll be about enough that a couple players will be discovered on the early nights, and then probably less as time goes on and people start dying. So, tomorrow, ~2 out of 34 of us will be eliminators by my guess (assuming the eliminator team didn't start with anyone - is this correct, Wyrm?). A non-lynch is way too fragile to organize, and it sets us on a slippery slope, so I think lynching an inactive is the best of bad options. Also, if someone tries to lurk, then the lynching of inactives is a discouragement of that. If I go inactive suddenly, especially without notice of my expected return, I fully understand if you lynch me in my absence - it's not malicious on my part to leave, nor is it on yours to take the safer odds. Mark's plan is good further down the road, but there's just not enough evidence or enough eliminators to follow it through Day 1.

So, Night 1 arrives. The question is - do we explore? If we don't explore, so far as I understand, Omens can't be discovered, so new Eliminators can't be created. We have the Eliminator we need to kill, and we can start exploring again after we kill them in order to get whatever we need to destroy the house. The only people who would go exploring are the Eliminators themselves, but if one of them sends in the kill action, only one person sends in an explore, so the odds of getting another Eliminator are quite slim. (Also, I feel like there should be some way to tell whether someone's gone exploring, because of the action limit, but I don't know.)

...And I've talked too long and have to go. Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense - I'd intended it to be shorter, to the point and a bit more refined than it is, but oh well.

It's stated in the rules that there are no eliminators on Night0. But, it's not clear whether there are players who have another anti-village role.  

... My plan? My memory must be slipping. I don't recall proposing a plan. Or did I? Hmmm... I think I did. I think some rereads are in order. :P

The random insane voices in my mind demand to speak:

Insane!Paranoia: The snake that lives coiled in your veins is ready to eat.

Insane!Leadership: The king demands a billowing cake!

Insane!Insanity: shthuyfjyyfjfuyjyujfyujturjyujjrujuyj htnd hthdutjyujf.

2 hours ago, The Young Bard said:

So, Night 1 arrives. The question is - do we explore? If we don't explore, so far as I understand, Omens can't be discovered, so new Eliminators can't be created. We have the Eliminator we need to kill, and we can start exploring again after we kill them in order to get whatever we need to destroy the house. The only people who would go exploring are the Eliminators themselves, but if one of them sends in the kill action, only one person sends in an explore, so the odds of getting another Eliminator are quite slim. (Also, I feel like there should be some way to tell whether someone's gone exploring, because of the action limit, but I don't know.)

I've been thinking about this as well. We have to weigh our chances both ways. The points you make are valid, but we have to consider the alternative. By not exploring, we make mislynches more likely, and we forgo valuable roles and items that the Elims will likely be accruing. That's another thing we need to figure out tonight -- how common and how powerful the roles are. If they don't gain us much on average, it's probably better to hold off. But it's possible that further exploration will give us the tools we need to root out a Traitor much faster.